The Single Speed Thread

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Following up on a post from a couple of weeks back. Have the singlespeed XTC 29 all built and ready to ride! Thanks to all those who have dished out some much need advice and experience and gear! Now can't wait to ride it. For the full story and pics check out the blog.

https://ridethedirttrail.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/ss-xtc-x0-29-xtc-indeed/
Looks the goods.

Try putting another thin spacer under the top cap and then try tightening it up. Possibly the top cap is just tightening against the steerer tube.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Following up on a post from a couple of weeks back. Have the singlespeed XTC 29 all built and ready to ride! Thanks to all those who have dished out some much need advice and experience and gear! Now can't wait to ride it. For the full story and pics check out the blog.

https://ridethedirttrail.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/ss-xtc-x0-29-xtc-indeed/
The best "upgrade" for SS use will be a hub with more points of engagement. You'll find that you're losing precious power through that standard giant hub.

Will that tensioner work for you in the "push up" configuration? Not that it appears to be a problem but you'll get more chain wrap around the rear cog.

Agree with the suggestion above re: spacer.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
Thinking about getting a stiffee

I thought this would be a good place to ask, thinking about going full rigid on the El Mariachi SS with a carbon fork.

My question is, is one fork better than others?

I have looked at the Niner options, Salsa are doing a carbon rigid (have not checked Oz availability yet), Intense Hard Eddie fork or a new take off Spesh fork from the carver. Has anyone had experience with any of these, pros or cons of any brand would be great to know before laying out my hard earned on one, thanks.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've used the Niner for about 4 years and love it!
Have had both a Straight Steerer with QR and the Tapered RDO.
Both variants are lightweight and have precise steering. TBH I probably couldn't tell the two apart in a blind test.

I've tried the Specialized one and it didn't have the vibration dampening qualities of the Niner.
Older steel, round carbon tube legged or carbon wrapped alloy forks (or god forbid, pure alloy) are all horrible.

cammas

Seamstress
I've used the Niner for about 4 years and love it!
Have had both a Straight Steerer with QR and the Tapered RDO.
Both variants are lightweight and have precise steering. TBH I probably couldn't tell the two apart in a blind test.

I've tried the Specialized one and it didn't have the vibration dampening qualities of the Niner.
Older steel, round carbon tube legged or carbon wrapped alloy forks (or god forbid, pure alloy) are all horrible.
Thanks Ackland I am looking into to see if the Niner moondust grey (gotta color coordinate) straight steerer is available was suppose to get a call back today was told only the RDO are available. Does anyone know if the Enve one is available yet and how much?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Thanks Ackland I am looking into to see if the Niner moondust grey (gotta color coordinate) straight steerer is available was suppose to get a call back today was told only the RDO are available. Does anyone know if the Enve one is available yet and how much?
Who are you asking about the Niner fork?

I have seen a few of the Enve's on MTBR

cammas

Seamstress
Who are you asking about the Niner fork?

I have seen a few of the Enve's on MTBR
A bike shop in Melbourne I have been dealing with for a numbers of years, he was under the impression Niner only brought in the RDO into Oz and was going to find out. Waiting to find out what was available then seeing if a moondust was available to go with the gunmetal Salsa. Also I take it the A- C measurements will effect the handling and when comparing to my current fork I should take into account sag as well as the Reba seems pretty long compared to some of the carbon forks.

A while back you asked about the fit of my XKM ring well it did not last long before it started creaking, took it off cleaned made sure it was seated correctly next ride still noisy as fark took it off put the original spider back on noise gone. When refitting the old spider you can physical see a difference with the clearance so now need to buy a direct mount ring again this time I am going a 34 as I need to put that spider is back on my hard tail for my daughter to ride.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Santa Cruz Chameleon - 27.5 conversion SS

View attachment

View attachment

Reposting this rig with a few slight changes..

Singlespeed dropouts now instead of the untidy tensior
Truvativ Boobar (740mm) + AKA 70mm stem
Truvativ Stylo seatpost
Zee 175mm cranks
Ardent Race rear tyre (the RR didn't last long..)
Some black ESI's as the yellow was brown after 2 rides!

Such a fun little bike!

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
Got a stiffee

Well I was able to track down a straight steerer Niner fork, will now be purchasing another front wheel this weekend with QR then its time to put it all together. Quick question it did not come with a crown race on it,can I get the bike shop to fit any generic race to it or does it need to be a carbon specific?

fork.jpg

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Well I was able to track down a straight steerer Niner fork, will now be purchasing another front wheel this weekend with QR then its time to put it all together. Quick question it did not come with a crown race on it,can I get the bike shop to fit any generic race to it or does it need to be a carbon specific?

View attachment 299262
Any 1 1/8th crown race will work with carbon or alloy steerers (assuming you have a 1 1/8th bottom headset at the moment. However, you need to ensure that the down race matches with your headset.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
The crown race needs to match your headset. If buying a new headset, crown race will come with it. If replacing an old fork... remove the race from the old one.

Cheers
Murray

cammas

Seamstress
Thanks guys, I want to be able swap between the rigid and squish fork for when I am feeling soft, I will ring the local tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

cammas

Seamstress
How did you go Cammas?
Very well, been for a couple rides all ready, spent a few hours at the Youies yesterday playing with the set up. Then made some tweaks in the arvo then went out this morning before I had to go to work. I have a wheel off my other bike on there but picked up a wheel from a fellow burner rsclio which I will fit once I work out what tyres to run.

2014-09-27 16.48.25.jpg

Last edited: