Little Things You Hate

stirk

Burner
Nope, just be less selfish in general. Think about your place in the broader scheme of things and think about whether you're going to be leaving the place better than you found it (ie will the next generation have a better world to live in - and by better world I don't mean more stuff).

Pretty basic stuff really, and many ways to approach it.
I agree with what you say above but owning an SUV compared to a similar sized but lower to the ground wagon is doing bugger all in the broader scheme of things apart from blocking your limited vision. Unless you're tailgating one you should have plenty of vision around your little car to drive safely.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
In the broader scheme of things, of course you're right. But the city bound UAV is an obvious display of consumption at greater rates than required, and a fairly reliable marker of someone who doesn't give a toss about other people.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Most common 'SUV' have engines the same size as many sedans and many sedans and coupes sports cars etc have larger more guzzly engines so to tar all 'SUV' with the tag of being a spew mobile is not accurate. Haakon's hatred must be because they are mostly bought by young selfish families.
You serious? Is that how you measure efficiency - based on cubic capacity?

There's a thing called this:

Use it to be responsible. Don't be a dick. Simple as that.

That's my take, YMMV. We will all learn when the shit goes down...

stirk

Burner
You serious? Is that how you measure efficiency - based on cubic capacity?

There's a thing called this:

Use it to be responsible. Don't be a dick. Simple as that.

That's my take, YMMV. We will all learn when the shit goes down...
I'm not being a dick, just highlighting the fact that you can't automatically label all SUV as being any more spew mobiles than many other sedans and wagons. Why should they be singled out over say a honden sv6 sports wagon simply because they have a higher stature.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Or 12 beers... other way round though. In saying that I'm much better looking after she's had 12 beers. Assuming she can still stand...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Why should they be singled out over say a honden sv6 sports wagon simply because they have a higher stature.
Because theyre more likely to run over a kid or a cyclist, and when they run the red light because theyre too busy texting the high nose will over ride the side intrusion bars and come in through the window instead.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Because theyre more likely to run over a kid or a cyclist, and when they run the red light because theyre too busy texting the high nose will over ride the side intrusion bars and come in through the window instead.
Can you please enlighten us and let us know what your car of choice is and what car you think is the most practical for your lifestyle?

stirk

Burner
Hey don't go off topic!

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm not being a dick, just highlighting the fact that you can't automatically label all SUV as being any more spew mobiles than many other sedans and wagons. Why should they be singled out over say a honden sv6 sports wagon simply because they have a higher stature.
Because Aerodynamics.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Aerodynamics.
Dynamics.
Actual useful space.
Maintenance costs.

Look, SUVs have their place but don't pretend they are an appropriate thing to use on the school run. Or the commute to work.

Buy a little efficient car for the vast majority of one- or two-up travel, or even one adult & two non-teenage kids. Keep the SUV for when you need it. Or hire/GoGet one when you need it.

We *need* to change our way of going about our lives.

stirk

Burner
Because Aerodynamics.
Yeah I get that, and bigger wheels, could also be heavier. So many contributing situational factors into whether or not a particular SUV is more or less efficiently used than a small sedan/wagon. This is why I don't understand the blanket hate based on fuel consumption. The other points regarding height and impact zones are perhaps more valid points.

Perhaps alot of people think if you can't beat them join them.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So you'd buy a ute? A wagon? A Forester?
Ideal garage - a Renault Zoe or a Tesla Model 3 for commuting duties, and a Kangoo set up for travelling.

A 2009 Laguna Coupe GT for touring... But cant import one under stupid import rules... :(

stirk

Burner
Dynamics.
Actual useful space.
Maintenance costs.

Look, SUVs have their place but don't pretend they are an appropriate thing to use on the school run. Or the commute to work.

Buy a little efficient car for the vast majority of one- or two-up travel, or even one adult & two non-teenage kids. Keep the SUV for when you need it. Or hire/GoGet one when you need it.

We *need* to change our way of going about our lives.
Do you have children even? Two non teenage kids in child seats and booster seats is why people need big cars. The wife drives a little i30 about and with the two kids in their seats there ain't much room for a third and quite often we need to carry three kids. The seats are all jumbled about to make it fit which is not so good for safety.

There are not many good options outside of Big 4wd or SUV for families with 2 plus kids and besides it's nice to ride higher and see over the little tintops.

And don't say van, wife hates them.

This reminds me I need to order my 1.5 inch ball joint spacers ;)