Carbon Wheels what does it feel like riding one ?

MrPlow

TMBC
Smash them now, get a new pair warrantied in replacement and then you can keep them for life.
The Ocean's not gonna fill itself!!!
The warranty doesn't work like that. And I think maybe because you have read "marketing" articles of late you may be swayed to thinking all carbon goes to landfill and the ocean. Not to derail this thread, but CFRP is already being recycled. BMW is just one big company that uses recycled carbon. Aluminium wasn't always recycled either.

Z

Zaf

The warranty doesn't work like that. And I think maybe because you have read "marketing" articles of late you may be swayed to thinking all carbon goes to landfill and the ocean. Not to derail this thread, but CFRP is already being recycled. BMW is just one big company that uses recycled carbon. Aluminium wasn't always recycled either.
So how do you dispose of broken rims that are returned to you?

Z

Zaf

some are repaired. Some are used as hula hoops for my kids :) A few coat hangers. Why is that?
And what happens to the ones that aren't re-purposed as hula hoops or beyond repair?
Honest curiosity as to the ethics of the company given the current "marketing" climate of sustainability and recycling.

MrPlow

TMBC
And what happens to the ones that aren't re-purposed as hula hoops or beyond repair?
Honest curiosity as to the ethics of the company given the current "marketing" climate of sustainability and recycling.
Coat hangers! Cut the rim into 5ths and add the hook.
We are not out there making bold claims Zaf. I am not going to derail this thread. Honestly we, (or anyone in the bike industry) don't have the resources to come up with a recycling solution.
We are experimenting with re-purposing ground carbon for some Non structural applications.
How about you?

MrPlow

TMBC
I will also add that I don't think sustainability is "marketing". ;) There just seems to be some cracks in some of the claims. And people follow it like sheep. Sustainability is important, and should include embodied energy, product life, transportation costs, and other factors.
Now back to the subject. I am off for a ride :)

MrPlow

TMBC
I think we both know I learned my lessons in buying cheap carbon wheels. ;)
Well Zaf, at least you ended up with Zelvy's in the end mate, that were faultless, sold, and are still going strong :)
What I meant though was what are you doing environmentally ethics wise?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I will also add that I don't think sustainability is "marketing". ;) There just seems to be some cracks in some of the claims. And people follow it like sheep. Sustainability is important, and should include embodied energy, product life, transportation costs, and other factors.
Now back to the subject. I am off for a ride :)
Broke a spoke on the weekend, can you check your inbox after your ride please?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coat hangers! Cut the rim into 5ths and add the hook.
We are not out there making bold claims Zaf. I am not going to derail this thread. Honestly we, (or anyone in the bike industry) don't have the resources to come up with a recycling solution.
We are experimenting with re-purposing ground carbon for some Non structural applications.
How about you?
Yeah Zaf, what are YOU doing about it. Ha ha. I love that redirection approach.

Zaf, like others here will likely do something about it by exercise his ethical choice of purchasing decision and supporting those products and people that demonstrate they are on top of their environmental commitments. So it's actually up to you Mr Plow to back up your claims that it's not landfill, not Zaf.

MrPlow

TMBC
Yeah Zaf, what are YOU doing about it. Ha ha. I love that redirection approach.

Zaf, like others here will likely do something about it by exercise his ethical choice of purchasing decision and supporting those products and people that demonstrate they are on top of their environmental commitments. So it's actually up to you Mr Plow to back up your claims that it's not landfill, not Zaf.
Never made any claims. Just here to help, if you want to talk about these issues start another thread. Thanks.
Broke a spoke on the weekend, can you check your inbox after your ride please?
PM'd mate. Cheers.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never made any claims. Just here to help, if you want to talk about these issues start another thread. Thanks.
Good point, I will do that. Respectfully I also ask the same of you to refrain from posting in this thread (e.g. your specific products) unless it concerns carbon wheels in the objective general sense, as that is what this question was about afterall.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
A few days after receiving my new Zelvy hoops I went for a planned trip to Tassie. First ride was around Launceston. One thing for sure these carbon wheels feels more stable and seems to keep your line better when cornering heaps better than my old alloy wheels. I then rode it around Blue Derby, those wheels felt superb. Down big berms and down technical rocky bits, the bike is easier to control.

One thing to note when my 11 speed XT cassette installed I have to install a spacer so that the cassette doesn't rattle.

I went to a alloy engineering company to check out if making a Torque caps adaptor for the front hub... I was quoted $170 !!! Fitting a wheel is a bit of a pain with the current adapter, but I don't know if it's worth $170 worth of pain.
Maybe if Zelvy can look into possibly mass producing them ?

MrPlow

TMBC
Curious - this means Zelvy wheels use proprietary hubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey mate, Yes we have been working on them behind the scene for a few seasons now. They were released a few weeks ago.
A few days after receiving my new Zelvy hoops I went for a planned trip to Tassie. First ride was around Launceston. One thing for sure these carbon wheels feels more stable and seems to keep your line better when cornering heaps better than my old alloy wheels. I then rode it around Blue Derby, those wheels felt superb. Down big berms and down technical rocky bits, the bike is easier to control.

One thing to note when my 11 speed XT cassette installed I have to install a spacer so that the cassette doesn't rattle.

I went to a alloy engineering company to check out if making a Torque caps adaptor for the front hub... I was quoted $170 !!! Fitting a wheel is a bit of a pain with the current adapter, but I don't know if it's worth $170 worth of pain.
Maybe if Zelvy can look into possibly mass producing them ?
Our bad! We should have shipped a spacer with your hub, sorry!! The driver is for 11 speed (road and MTB) yet another standard :confused:
As for the torque caps, we maybe can see what we can get made. although not worthy of mass production, they are pretty uncommon TBH.

MrPlow

TMBC
Good point, I will do that. Respectfully I also ask the same of you to refrain from posting in this thread (e.g. your specific products) unless it concerns carbon wheels in the objective general sense, as that is what this question was about afterall.
Sorry. Who else agrees with @schred ?Do you all want me to stop posting?
I will happily stop giving my opinions if you feel it is out of line, cheers.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Maybe if Zelvy can look into possibly mass producing them
Just for reference what were the old alloy wheels you replaced ?

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Sorry. Who else agrees with @schred ?Do you all want me to stop posting?
I will happily stop giving my opinions if you feel it is out of line, cheers.
Post Away!!
It's great to have industry types actually engaging with the community, I think a lot of them avoid it for fear of being trolled or having opinionated types berate them, glad to see you bucking the trend.

Just for reference what were the old alloy wheels you replaced ?
+1
I too am interested.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
I had a pair of Sram Rail the cheapest model, they are surprisingly good for the price

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since we are talking carbon wheels I have a set of 29er carbon fan rims sitting in customs atm. Once I get them laced up I will give a review.
I'm coming from narrowish alloy's, never ridden carbon rims and buying a 29mm Id asymmetrical rim..
My logic, for going with carbon fan over all the chinese jobies (and zelvy,curve,derby etc), is they have a wide rim that is light and not built for "enduro". I want wide rims but 90% of my local riding ain't black diamond runs and a heavy carbon rim is just weight I don't need for the coin spent. I just can't fathom spending $1-2k on a wheelset that is heavier than my few hundred buck dt swiss m1900's..
Anyways, I might have it all wrong but lets see later in Jan.