So, a man walks into a bike shop.........

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Don't buy Specialized! Go smack your balls with a hammer every time you think about Specialized
They have no staff in the warranty department, yet lots in marketing, so by default all warranties are denied by inaction. I'm up to my 8th week of waiting.
Not liking that much:mad:
Feel your pain, hope my local can do a better job if do buy there, I know a couple of the shop owners so If i did get a dud I'll have to talk about them to all there mates:p

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Merida Big nine anyone?
Thoughts
Def at the xc end of the spectrum, but decent spec for the $. From your original post, it should be good to start with, as many have said you'll find more where you're wanting to go with the sport in 6-12 months.

One thing I always point out, do you have any mates you're going to ride with?
No point getting a big 9 if your mates are shuttling all day, no point getting a dh bike if your mates are lycra clad xc whippets.

Rob9

Squid
F&*(k those guys..... I was noobing it up at black hill and having to walk my arse up the hill afterwards then hit grass before I feel down and Mr lycra was burning past lap after lap not even stopping to breathe...

To the OP.. I just brought a giant fathom 29er.. hoping it will do me for the next 12 months and if I am loving it and still alive I will go to a decent dual suspension and this will turn into a pub bike.

I know the quotes.. giants are like arseholes.. everyone has one.. but as they have also said reasonable value for money and hey.. I like to see how someone coped without and arsehole...

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Well did the lunch time lbs visit dressed in my worker day best, so no I didn't look like a bikie enforcer or worse; seems I also included a dash of "special power" cloaking this morning because the shop staff failed to see me wandering around all the lovely offerings and I got zero interest from the assembled masses. Maybe I looked like a cheap bike buyer and not worthy of acknowledgement.
Shop wasn't buzzing either one bloke my age buying some widget or another and various staff fetosises doing not much it seemed
Guess who won't be getting this bunnies bucks:D

wayneh

Likes Bikes
F&*(k those guys..... I was noobing it up at black hill and having to walk my arse up the hill afterwards then hit grass before I feel down and Mr lycra was burning past lap after lap not even stopping to breathe...

To the OP.. I just brought a giant fathom 29er.. hoping it will do me for the next 12 months and if I am loving it and still alive I will go to a decent dual suspension and this will turn into a pub bike.

I know the quotes.. giants are like arseholes.. everyone has one.. but as they have also said reasonable value for money and hey.. I like to see how someone coped without and arsehole...
I don't think I'm a brand snob happy to just gets bike

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Well did the lunch time lbs visit dressed in my worker day best, so no I didn't look like a bikie enforcer or worse; seems I also included a dash of "special power" cloaking this morning because the shop staff failed to see me wandering around all the lovely offerings and I got zero interest from the assembled masses. Maybe I looked like a cheap bike buyer and not worthy of acknowledgement.
Shop wasn't buzzing either one bloke my age buying some widget or another and various staff fetosises doing not much it seemed
Guess who won't be getting this bunnies bucks:D
Lemme guess...Specialized store in Launnie??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Lemme guess...Specialized store in Launnie??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dropped into that store once to check out the new Enduro. They didn't have any in stock and the salesman then preceded to tell me how Specialized run 650B wheels not like the other brands who run 27.5 which don't roll as well o_O

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I dropped into that store once to check out the new Enduro. They didn't have any in stock and the salesman then preceded to tell me how Specialized run 650B wheels not like the other brands who run 27.5 which don't roll as well o_O
Everytime I think of Specialized I feel like the kid telling the emperor he has no clothes. Almost every aspect of that brand is bullshit and yet they are considered one of the big three.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Everytime I think of Specialized I feel like the kid telling the emperor he has no clothes. Almost every aspect of that brand is bullshit and yet they are considered one of the big three.
Would have to agree there. Although I am partial to their older stuff but after the Roubaix Cafe fiasco, Mike Sinyard can suck the big one. I bet they only backed down due to bad PR.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sinyard-takes-responsibility-and-apologises-to-cafe-roubaix-owner/

Only a trigger happy for legalalities North American company would sue a Canadian Cafe owner over the name of a French city.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Would have to agree there. Although I am partial to their older stuff but after the Roubaix Cafe fiasco, Mike Sinyard can suck the big one. I bet they only backed down due to bad PR.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sinyard-takes-responsibility-and-apologises-to-cafe-roubaix-owner/

Only a trigger happy for legalalities North American company would sue a Canadian Cafe owner over the name of a French city.
Damn right. I posted on the Specialized FB page at the time - that Sinyard was a pointless shitstain and he could go fuck himself with a barbed wire gauntlet. Or words to that effect. but probably those exact words.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Damn right. I posted on the Specialized FB page at the time - that Sinyard was a pointless shitstain and he could go fuck himself with a barbed wire gauntlet. Or words to that effect. but probably those exact words.
Totally agree, an all up shit situation that shouldn't have ever developed the way that it did. I cringe when ever walking past those 'experience' bike shops that Specialized seem to have here and there.

Also, French and European words are overused for cycling and most other products deemed to have a luxury aura.

Why doesn't Mike make the Specialized Mogadishu instead and represent fine African cities too?
Easy, because Mike is an utter chunt, that's why.