So, a man walks into a bike shop.........

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Yeah, there's a few Giant haters....and some of us like to stir them up sometimes.
There's nothing special about a Giant, they're as common-as-arseholes, but you get a lot of bike for the price.
(think Holden commodore SS, rather than Porsche...)

Serious question for ya...
Do you think you will progress fairly quickly with your new hobby? ....or is this just a purchase for one or two rides a month on a local bike trail around the back of the local park etc...?
The reason I ask is this:
When I got back into the sport a couple of years back I was much like you - I didn't really know what bike to look for (everything had changed so much) but one thing I quickly realised - I was going to out-grow a hardtail real quick. So I narrowed my search to dual sus only.
And this is especially true in Tasmania.

I think there's a good chance your mates in the office will drag you to Derby or down the North-South track (arguably you can do the North South on a HT without too much pain)....but a dually gives you much more confidence straight out of the box.
Others will argue it's better to hone your skills on a HT first (and they have good reasons to argue this), but I think you'll find it frustrating at Derby or Maydena. And Hollybank's Juggernaut would be down-right scary on a hardtail IMO.

So if you can stretch the budget to a bit more, a good second hand dual-sus bike will last you a lot longer I think?
I see myself taking it slow enjoying the experience and seeing how things go
I did run a duallie around this afternoon only a very brief run in a work parking area
It was ok but as the bikes value was north of 5K I didn't fall in lust with it right there and then, even gave it back:D
Maybe I should run it through Kate Reed a few times and see if things change

wayneh

Likes Bikes
The born again cuddle bear raises a good point about getting a dually. I don't endorse the hard tail first theory either. One thing to consider, being you have fessed up to being a little older than the cliche mountain bike rider, is your physical condition. No I don't mean fit vs unfit. For me, riding a hardtail for any sustained period of time inflames my back. I've been blessed with a disc problem.
The back is ok most of the time and no othe major issues unless muffin tops an issue.....
I must confess to stuffing the lower back earlier this year lifting a box, couple of days off and a week being played with by a very nice female physio saw me right

wayneh

Likes Bikes
So looking like a Kmart target sca Repco Malvern Star Enforcer Southern Star 49.99 special then:eek:

Flow-Rider

Burner
It might have popped a few spokes first before the rim folded but that wouldn't be uncommon on a high milage wheel that hasn't had the spokes tensioned correctly.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
The main reason I'd recommend to get a cheaper bike as a first bike as I see so many bikes on Gumtree or Facebook where the owner "thought" they would be into "DH, CX, XC" ect and drop a bomb selling their almost new bike. I bought a second hand Giant Anthem (which is still going strong) and then a few years down the track after sampling all sorts of riding decided that an All Mountain style of bike would be suit my riding then spent 4k on my Norco Sight. I'm glad I didn't blow a heap of cash on an XC bike as I don't ride it all that much now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The main reason I'd recommend to get a cheaper bike as a first bike as I see so many bikes on Gumtree or Facebook where the owner "thought" they would be into "DH, CX, XC" ect and drop a bomb selling their almost new bike. I bought a second hand Giant Anthem (which is still going strong) and then a few years down the track after sampling all sorts of riding decided that an All Mountain style of bike would be suit my riding then spent 4k on my Norco Sight. I'm glad I didn't blow a heap of cash on an XC bike as I don't ride it all that much now.
It's beginners fallacy that affects both the beginners and the seasoned veteran giving said advice.

1. You buy a crap bike and we know the deal. You might buy a more expensive one, you might not like it etc. blah blah we've heard this one to death.
2. You buy a more expensive bike. Then you chop and change disciplines and make a whopper loss subsidising the next guy that buys second hand (usually a seasoned veteran).
3. You buy an expensive bike and don't know what all the rage is about. You don't know better. You don't appreciate the gains from a lower end bike and you never will. That's half the value right there.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I am impressed there is an anthem out there that hasn't cracked yet!
Yeah it must be one of a kind :D It's done 6000km since I've had it and I'm the third owner, even raced a gravity enduro on it. But it served me well for a my first serious mountain bike. Loving the Norco now though and the Anthem serves for road duties these days.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The lizardmen overloads deem it so, that’s why

On a conpletely unrelated note, did you guys know midgets are actually russian space monkeys that came back? Chyea, blew my mind too

wayneh

Likes Bikes
Can't believe how long this has stayed on topic. Has the OP locked in a ride yet?
Still thinking, maybe too much thinking not enough action:(
Seeing my local Specialized dealer this Saturday and might drop past the Scott shop tomorrow

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Still thinking, maybe too much thinking not enough action:(
Seeing my local Specialized dealer this Saturday and might drop past the Scott shop tomorrow
Don't buy Specialized! Go smack your balls with a hammer every time you think about Specialized
They have no staff in the warranty department, yet lots in marketing, so by default all warranties are denied by inaction. I'm up to my 8th week of waiting.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
how is this relevant to the pentagon releasing UFO footage? huh?
The lizardmen overloads deem it so, that’s why

On a conpletely unrelated note, did you guys know midgets are actually russian space monkeys that came back? Chyea, blew my mind too

We all know that Don T has really broken the 4th wall on this stuff. It won't be long until the war for human independence finally happens. We are just waiting for our Noah to lead us to victory.