Bargain buys thread

moorey

call me Mia
Here you go folks. Nice pricing anyway you look at it.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Dear god, what fork is that? Sektor TK silver or something? Without looking at the spec list, you’re buying a frame an awesome frame, that would probably be a pig to ride, and expensive to get to a good stage.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Low end = low end. You aren't there for the best bits unfortunately. Still fits in the bargain buys thread. It is a Sektor RL.

A carbon S kit would be my entry level if I went for it.

moorey

call me Mia
I’d take a higher spec alloy over a lower spec carbon any day, if on a budget.
No interest in the carbon firstly, and secondly, all too many make the ‘I’ll upgrade the parts’ mistake, and ultimately spend waaay more than the higher spec would have cost anyway.
That said, I still look at $10k stock bikes and can’t believe some some of the average parts on there. You’re still essentially buying a frame, and a couple of flashy looking visible parts, and a whole lot of bits that aren’t flash. I’m lookinh at you, wheels and shock!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'd stretch the budget but would go carbon if the first owners frame warranty applies.

This low end 5010 would be heavy any way you look at it, new bikes seem pretty portly now for the $$$ spent.

More hidden and unsexy unbranded things like BB's, hubs, headsets, seatposts have always been targets. A decent fork and rear shock are must haves.

It would be nice to build from a frame up now but the budget would need to be big. I like the grandpa's axe approach and upgrade as stuff wears or if a bargain is found but the newer bunch 'o standards makes it a headache.

I think they have a 5010 alloy frame for $1100ish there too.

moorey

call me Mia
In both cases, we're talking $us, yeah? Add your exchanges, delivery, import tax, customs fee..all of a sudden you could have a $3k+ bike that’s still got shite parts. I’ll stick to solid SH bikes...and 26” for the win. Woot.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
'Looks at 26" in the bike stable'... Have to agree.

26" with straight steerers FTW. I am trying to find an excuse for new bike pr0n and you aren't helping :)

Sick Fiddy Bee one day, but not today.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m running one bike 27.5, but really only because it’s set up for my son. Have tried my Spitfire numerous times as 27.5, and keep going back to 26 inch. I go in With an open mind, hoping to love it, but just don’t find the advantages that everyone goes on about.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m running one bike 27.5, but really only because it’s set up for my son. Have tried my Spitfire numerous times as 27.5, and keep going back to 26 inch. I go in With an open mind, hoping to love it, but just don’t find the advantages that everyone goes on about.
You have an oompa loompa stature though dont you? Makes sense you fit a wheel size that is perfect for large children.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I go in With an open mind, hoping to love it, but just don’t find the advantages that everyone goes on about.
There is bugger all difference between 26" and 27.5". Tyre choice and the phattness of the tyres will make more a difference IMHO.
I suspect the lone 650b in you stable will be on Ebay soon.

moorey

call me Mia
You have an oompa loompa stature though dont you? Makes sense you fit a wheel size that is perfect for large children.
Nitpicking, I am extremely average. My 12yo/150cm son loves his 27.5 though. Horses for courses...or possibly ponies....Shetlands...