Little Things You Love

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
All that old old shit in the parts box. You know the cantilever brakes and levers and pads, brake cables, old flat pedals, loose ball headsets etc that you or anyone with a half modern mountain bike will have absolutely no use for and should throw out.

Until your cousin asks if you can have a look at an old bmx bike he was given for their grandson. It all becomes new old stock to replace the unserviceable stuff.

So this freebie now has new bearings (and grease!) throughout, XT cantilever rear brake, cable and pads, lock on grips, wheels debuckled and a general tidy up. And a loud as all fuck bell just to give Grandad the shits! Had to buy bottom bracket bearings ($20) and make a press with some washers, two bits of pressed gal channel and an M12 bolt. Would have fitted a new chain but don't have any 6/7/8 speed that are useable.

It is bloody brilliant!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Post holiday work depression will be a tough one for the Pink one when he returns to the Gulag of productivity.
This is correct. Today was a real fuck you up the nose kind of struggle. Was not no fun for nobody. Fuck it all.

Yeah he’s screwed. Poor dude
And not the good kind of screwed either. The shit kind.

He can regale the housewives of Newey with his fully sick barista ability and off piste moves.
I made a fucking good blend 43 latte love. What wattage is your microwave? We don't want to burn the milk...

He sounds like he is normally dealing with the ladies of the night in Newcastle, I do wonder how much they know about his pissed moves?
Not any more dudette! I've gentrified - sold out of the slum and moved to the waterfront. Just waiting for the lease to end and I'm in. Then I'll be fucking all the old ladies with husbands that only care for polishing their fancy cars and dicks that don't work that live there. Brother calls the new hood a retirement village...I'll be the panty retirer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good things from bad in this case...I love good customer service and have received a few solid examples in the last couple of days.

1) I purchased brand spanking new top of the line snowboarding boots just prior to my recent excursion. They were fantastic from the get go, until...one day I noticed the sole starting to peel away from the upper. Fuck me! In the process of taking photos for the retailer I also notice the stitching that holds the lacing system into the boot is busting apart. So half a dozen emails, a few photos, and about a week and full refund under warranty and we're really sorry that happened. If you have ever tried to make a snow related warranty claim in Australia you'll know how different this experience was. The service, prices, and support offered by www.freestylextreme.com is very good. They also carry a growing range of mountain bike gear.

2) crc sent me a parcel...somehow (as with much of the Australian post issues) it took about 4 weeks to reach me once it arrived in Australia. It sat at my post office for the 30 day limit and was sent back. This was pretty frustrating as I'd made the purchases a few days after Christmas in their "holy shit it has to go!" sale. Anyway I emailed them and within 24 hours and 2 emails the refund was sent. By contrast a very similar issue has happened with and Australian online retailer (not bike related) and they are giving me the run around. I'll eventually get the purchase price refunded but I'm pretty sure I'll be out of pocket for postage.

Z

Zaf

I just bought my hub for the new bike. But while I was at it, I purchased 300mL of Pinion gearbox fluid. What I love is the thought that that is five years worth of drivetrain maintenance equipment!!!

Belts don't need lubrication! I can't wait to play with this toy!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I just bought my hub for the new bike. But while I was at it, I purchased 300mL of Pinion gearbox fluid. What I love is the thought that that is five years worth of drivetrain maintenance equipment!!!

Belts don't need lubrication! I can't wait to play with this toy!
How does the belt deal with dirt/mud?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

How does the belt deal with dirt/mud?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
From reports I've read, brilliantly.
They say the belts get roughly 3x what you'd get out of a chain in comparative conditions. Costs about the same as an Eagle Chain to replace as well.

Z

Zaf

Is the reduced efficiency of the belt noticeable in practice?
So there was a really interesting podcast from the guys from Pinion Gates where they said how for low load pedalling, a well lubed chain outclasses everything. Once you go medium to heavy pedalling, the links all bind up with the pressure on it where the carbon belt doesnt (some of the non carbon belts have some give to them). But that being said, he did say it was test bench level differences, not a huge practical one.

I think the efficiency loss is from the gearbox itself, and less from the driving apparatus, but I'll be interesting to see how significant it is.

Might wanna check the shelf life of that ol though, shit dont last forever
OL?

Cool story. I just bought 4 XT chains for less than an eagle chain.

Shut up dude, it's hard enough slamming this much money on a bike without my tenuous excuses and justifications for it being chipped away by your frugal and wise financial decisions.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A roller chain within its design limit is pretty much the most efficient method. Other than mirrors of course.

Belt will have elastic losses and stiction overcoming the tensioner.

I also have a fat bike, everything is relative.

Z

Zaf

If you decide the belt suck balls, is it possible to change over to a conventional chain?
Yeah, you can, it's about $300 worth or parts (rings for hub and crank, chain tensioner, etc.).
Paul Aston did with his but reported chain drops. It also runs a different chainring size (same ratio though) which the suspension isn't as optimised around, not sure how big an issue that is, but it's one of those things they design around when they go to gearbox. The Gates Drive comes standard with some BIG rings on it, 39t front and rear, I'm guessing that's to help reduce the "instance" pressure on it at a given point.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've had some good service recently as well, from the Australian dealer of Osprey, www.outdooragencies.com.au.

Osprey have an, "All mighty Guarantee",which basically means if you break it they'll replace it. I was skeptical at first, but a couple of photos and 3 emails later and the clip that was broken was in the post on its way to me.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I've had some good service recently as well, from the Australian dealer of Osprey, www.outdooragencies.com.au.

Osprey have an, "All mighty Guarantee",which basically means if you break it they'll replace it. I was skeptical at first, but a couple of photos and 3 emails later and the clip that was broken was in the post on its way to me.
Osprey are one of the few old fashioned service mobs left in the world of consumerism.

Great products, excellent after sales, and you can get replacement bits that don't cost more than buying the whole shebang new.