29er Tyre Thread

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Rather conscious of running too large a tyre on normal rims (24mm). Won't it roll? Or do the firmer sidewalls limit it. I dream about running sub 30 psi in my tyres
I figured you had to be running decent pressures for the control tyres to feel ok. My usual low 20's on control is squirmish, maxxis EXO loves it.

2.3-2.5 tyre is fine on an i24 rim, especially with a decent sidewall/casing.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Maxxis sidewalls are superior to most others in my experience. For support, puncture resistance and tubeless sealing.

A Maxxis DHR 2 in 3C compound, Tubeless Ready and Exo sidewalls in 29x2.30 size is only 825g , and would be fine on any rim >= 21mm.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Maxxis sidewalls are superior to most others in my experience. For support, puncture resistance and tubeless sealing.

A Maxxis DHR 2 in 3C compound, Tubeless Ready and Exo sidewalls in 29x2.30 size is only 825g , and would be fine on any rim >= 21mm.
I think I just need to try some to see if the benefits of better traction, cornering, firmer sidewalls and ability to run less pressure outweighs the extra weight and drag.

Will let you know how I get on.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Let me know if you want to try some of my collection of big tyres, my 1,000 gram 2.5 DHF 3C is sitting on a shelf in my shed at the moment (although personally I think that there are better options for wet conditions, hence the reason that it is on the shelf for now).

I’ve always found that I needed more PSI in Spesh tyres to keep them from squirming. Schwalbe Snakeskin on the MM or HD, and Maxxis Exo definitely provide more support and allow lower PSI.

Weight is also a function of volume, Spesh 2.3s are small for their quoted size, Schwalbes run true to size or slightly larger, newer Maxxis run closer to their stated size after being way under for many years.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I think I just need to try some to see if the benefits of better traction, cornering, firmer sidewalls and ability to run less pressure outweighs the extra weight and drag.

Will let you know how I get on.
Please if you do, try some with a soft compound rubber like the 3C I mentioned above.

Compound makes a big difference.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I’ve always found that I needed more PSI in Spesh tyres to keep them from squirming. Schwalbe Snakeskin on the MM or HD, and Maxxis Exo definitely provide more support and allow lower PSI.

Weight is also a function of volume, Spesh 2.3s are small for their quoted size, Schwalbes run true to size or slightly larger, newer Maxxis run closer to their stated size after being way under for many years.
+1. My experience also.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Trying Hans on front and newer Nobby Nic up the rear. Let you know how it goes.
Which compound? as was mentioned above the compound makes all the difference, especially in the wet. For Schwalbe: Trailstar front, Pacestar rear unless you are going all enduro then its Trailstar or Vertstar at both ends. Pacestar in the wet is not awesome but it rolls a lot better.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Which compound? as was mentioned above the compound makes all the difference, especially in the wet. For Schwalbe: Trailstar front, Pacestar rear unless you are going all enduro then its Trailstar or Vertstar at both ends. Pacestar in the wet is not awesome but it rolls a lot better.
Trailstar front, Pacestar rear I think or maybe Pacestar both ends- she'll be right mate

I can confirm I have Pacestar rear and trail star front. Everything is going to be ok. Thanks for all your love and support folks.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Need a new set of tyres for the 29er. Thinking 2.3 Maxxis HR II F/ 2.3 Aggressor R. This is for a bike that will probably only do a couple of races in a year, so more after a long lasting grippy set for all kinds of riding, not too fussed about getting too heavy.

I see CRC have got snake skin Hans Dampfs for around $50 at the moment too, so could be tempted to put one of them on front instead. But I swore off Schwalbe after my badly advised RoRo and RaRa days. Are the HDs a different beast?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HD trailstar on the front is great for me. Tonne of grip and when they do give way you know it's coming compared to the ardent I switched from.
Some have noted the side knobs rip off easy but I haven't found that or either the guys I ride with.
Rolls very well for a big knobby tyre, not as quick as NN or rara but so much more grip wet or dry without the weight penalty of a knobby maxxis.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cheers. Ok, just ordered a 2.35 Hans Dampf Trailstar for up front, and a 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor for the rear.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone got good recommendations for a 29er tyre with the following characteristics:

- A nice centreline
- Lots of grip (general use hard/soft pack, no logs and roots)
- Wide as possible 2.4 preferred

I don't care for rolling resistance - the centreline is more for the variety of surfaces than rolling resistance. This is for my hardtail that will do general fire trail duties as the graveller has been demoted to commuter duties.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I had the Rubena Charybdis on the race bike and whilst I like them on my old 26 bike I hated them on the 29er . I agonized for a while as to what I was going to run and then thought I`d give the new revamped Nobby Nic a go . I got the performance series to start off with in case they were shit . Sidewalls bled sealant for a couple of days before they sealed completely . After one ride I was somewhat surprised at the grip and then messed around with pressures to get them even more plush . The next ride was at the Jet Black 24 Awaba and they performed brilliantly in the 47 different weather patterns we had . They now have 1000 km`s of dirt on them and they look barely worn ! I was happy to sacrifice a little rolling resistance for grip .

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I had the Rubena Charybdis on the race bike and whilst I like them on my old 26 bike I hated them on the 29er . I agonized for a while as to what I was going to run and then thought I`d give the new revamped Nobby Nic a go . I got the performance series to start off with in case they were shit . Sidewalls bled sealant for a couple of days before they sealed completely . After one ride I was somewhat surprised at the grip and then messed around with pressures to get them even more plush . The next ride was at the Jet Black 24 Awaba and they performed brilliantly in the 47 different weather patterns we had . They now have 1000 km`s of dirt on them and they look barely worn ! I was happy to sacrifice a little rolling resistance for grip .
If you like the performance ones, you'd love the evo models. The snakeskin ones bleed zero sealant throgh the sidewalls too.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone found the new nobby nic in pacestar a bit shit in the wet? Mainly over damp roots.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I can officially say the Nobby Nic is the worst tyre you can run on your bike. The sidewalls/ knobs squirm and refuse to bite. The Hans Damf and Magic Mary are great front tyres but crap up the rear. Schwalbe dont have another option for the rear so I have to go Maxxis- you cant mix brands!!!!
I am running a Griffin up the arse which is great for grip but not fast rolling. Probably try an aggressor for the FS and an Ardent Race for the HT.
So many great front tyre options DHF, MM, HD, High Roller but rear tyres seem to be more specific- fast, light or grippy- choose two