Confessions from the fuckwits

stirk

Burner
This is so common, I don't think it should even qualify for this thread any more.
It is only common among the fuckwits posting here, I've done worse but yet to do the brake bleed mix up.

Nah she’ll be right, just plug it in a give it the ol’ lick test
Sparky's actually do the brush test, as in quickly brush fingers over wires and you can tell if the bare copper is live, fuck that!

slowmick

38-39"
Frigies do it with the back of the fingers so that if you hand closes it doesn't close around the cable. A multi-meter hurts less.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
when I was an apprentice, the tradie I was with wanted to test if a motor was isolated without getting his meter from the car, so threw a screwdriver into the terminal box. Blew fuck out of the screw driver and destroyed the terminals. 415v doesn’t fuck around.

“Yeah boss it’s hard down to earth, can’t rebuild it”.

Dickhead of the highest degree.

Ultra Lord

Luckily he’s been gone for a few years.

Dumbarse didn’t realise it was just a controls switch, not a proper ISO switch.......... not to mention ignoring the three points of isolation rule.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
And a non contact voltage present indicator, commonly called a volt stick, is about 30 bucks
Wouldn't trust my life with one of those.
EDIT: Also they don't typically work with DC voltages which can be just as lethal.
Sure is, who'da thunk an Electrician wouldn't bother with a multimeter when kick arse power is involved. He might be a Darwin Awards contender soon.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
The big problem with kick arse power is that you often can't tell it's kick arse until you check it with a meter.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think any Electrician has courage. One of those jobs that can kill you easily by something that isn't visible or obvious.

Having air gaps, the fuses/CB in your pocket and the power off has to be help. I'd be a paranoid Electrician.

Ultra Lord

To be clear I’m not a sparky, just got disconnect reconnect licence and dabble in some things that I shouldn’t, when I need too.

“Gonna need to change that relay mate”
“Okay, which part do I hit with my hammer?”
“Jesus Jim not again”

Generally how it goes #fitterlyf

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was in an EWP with a sparky that chomped through a 3 phase wire that was live, luckily just blew a big hole in the side cutter jaws. The stupid prick before him some how jammed the isolator switch dial on 180 degrees out and the sparky I was with didn't check that it was dead at the other end.

Did you blokes see in the news that young girl in Perth that got booted by the garden tap from a presumed open neutral fault, just goes to show that RCD's aren't 100% fool proof.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Did you blokes see in the news that young girl in Perth that got booted by the garden tap from a presumed open neutral fault, just goes to show that RCD's aren't 100% fool proof.
I didn't see the details but an RCD will only ever protect you from a phase to earth fault downstream of the device, phase to neutral, or earth loop fault, etc you're fucked.
EDIT: If it was open neutral and the tap was live then there was no chance an RCD would trip as there wouldn't be a low impedance return path, until she touched the tap that is.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
To be clear I’m not a sparky, just got disconnect reconnect licence and dabble in some things that I shouldn’t, when I need too.
Fair enough, I almost was going to be an Electrician but ended up in Telecoms instead.

If it is beyond 48VDC then run for your lives :) Not that 48VDC can be that forgiving. The stories of the paintcan across the busbars has been heard plenty of times.