Confessions from the fuckwits

moorey

call me Mia
Ok, so in my defence, I was in an extreme rush to get a bike together out of spares for a mates daughter. Regardless...

Dragged my old haro sonix Frame out of the rafters to build up. Hasn’t been used in around 5 years, but that’s irrelevant.

Fitted some old forks, bars and a seat, just so I could sit it upside down (work stand broken).

Grabbed a set of ancient square taper deore cranks and a bb. Fitted the bb, and tried to fit DS crank with 2x rings. Fouling badly on the pivot that clamps around the bb shell on this frame. It was designed for 3x, but I assumed it came with longer bb axle originally. Not buying one, no time, so pulled off granny and 36t.

Fitted NW ring to inner mounts. Still fouling.

Fitted it to outer position. Granny tabs fouling.

Ground off Granny tabs, still fouling on chainring bolts.

Ground 1mm off head of pivot bolt. Still JUST fouling.

Ground 1mm off heads of inside chainring bolts. SUCCESS, just clears.

It’s a dog’s breakfast, essentially fucked the cranks, and and bolts, but they will hold. It’s for a young girl.

Time to fit derailleur and chain to see how bad the chainline is with ring mounted in outer position.

Hang on! Why are the brake mounts on this si......oh cuss!

6A4041BA-5EA0-4672-B870-7269736089F1.png

A4361DFD-EDDA-457E-933E-2D45A7FD0FC7.png

View attachment 343933
C57F37BF-A142-4CC4-9C51-979BA9D5E3F1.jpeg

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah, the first turns a sharp 90 that you need to hit fast. 29er can’t make the corner. The big line should be in better shape because the kids can’t clear the forst two, and those that do can obviously ride so don’t skid up the jumps too much.

The middle lines always been abit janky, you have to nose in so hard on the last one or you case, I think it’s fun though. Can’t just roll through midlessly.

The A lines good fun though, you don’t need to clear the first one to make it through as long as you clean the step-down out of the berm you’ll kill it.
Now I feel like I do need to get a 29er and take the a-line!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
@moorey, you aren't the first to fuck that up. I had an upside Miss Jane moment building that bmx a month or so ago. The difference was I didn't pick up the 9"!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Now I feel like I do need to get a 29er and take the a-line!
Mate, I will drive up to newy and ram so much soap down your throat for uttering 29 inches.

If I can get through on my pbj with slicks and an almost rigid argyle, you’ll be fine on that sweet little pivot of yours.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Been there, done that. One set of wipers for $250 and one set of brake pads for $800, and lesson learned.
Yeah had a Citroen for a few years and when the mechanic starts laughing on the phone when your getting quotes for parts it's time to sell

Litenbror

Eats Squid
*You’re

Pug here. Wife’s choice. Never again.
You're welcome :D

Was a great car to drive but Citroen Aus wanted $1500 for the rear suspension parts and that was after the mechanic stopped laughing and gave us $150 off. Needless to say I jumped online and got them out of the UK for $300 shipped and my mechanic put them in for $100. Now we are a Mitsubishi family, no leather but also no $1500 suspension.

moorey

call me Mia
*Your.

Yeah, I got the pads in 3 days for $50 delivered from uk. When it did a sensor in the ABS, and we were quoted $3k to diagnose and replace, we traded it in for sweet FA and cut our losses.

Z

Zaf

God damn it, here I am.

So was starting a wheel build for the new upcoming bike. Found a great deal on a pre-built Syntax W33i front wheel, pop that in the basket and she's gravy.

Rear wheel for a Pinion gearbox, might as well take all the advantages of a single speed hub and even wheel building, so I buy a Pinion H2R Boost Single Speed hub, BEAUTIFUL hub, really fine engineering and feel to it. Look for a matching Syntace rim, find a good price on a W30 in 32h drilling, measure the spokes (298mm for both sides, beautiful!!!).

Rim arrived yesterday, pull the packing foam ring off it to find that it has an asymetric rim bed...and the first time in my life the hub has perfectly centered flanges. Since I've bought the Syntace front wheel (and because "team Germany") I want to stick with Syntace rear as well...can no longer find a symetrical rim design from them in a 32h drilling. Ballsed that up a little bit...wheels can be tricky.

Z

Zaf

Their new new rims are symmetrical:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/syntace-c33i-straight-carbon-wheelset-review.html

Doesn’t help you but...
Yeah, they're all 28h drilling as well, I was thinking of grabbing a matching W33i rim for the rear, which is also a symmetrical design (but again, 28h drilling).

The problem now is more that I've got these rims/wheels in front of me I really want to use them.
A rim change is likely going to cost me a whole bunch of spokes as well at this point. And my justification for pushing ahead with it is slight due to knowing that with the super wide flanges, it's going to feel stronger than any other wheel I've ridden regardless of a small offset. Think it might just niggle at me not having a centered rim, on centered hub flanges for the full effect though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah, they're all 28h drilling as well, I was thinking of grabbing a matching W33i rim for the rear, which is also a symmetrical design (but again, 28h drilling).

The problem now is more that I've got these rims/wheels in front of me I really want to use them.
A rim change is likely going to cost me a whole bunch of spokes as well at this point. And my justification for pushing ahead with it is slight due to knowing that with the super wide flanges, it's going to feel stronger than any other wheel I've ridden regardless of a small offset. Think it might just niggle at me not having a centered rim, on centered hub flanges for the full effect though.
Why not just unlace the front rim which I assume is symmetrical and put it on the rear. Then wack the asymmetric on the front. Ok you need new spokes, but the current spokes are a sunk cost anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk