Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thought this thread was meant to just be the "LTIH" - emphasis on the "L". Like when people get receipts from ATMs. You fuckers, why?!?
And cunts who want their coffee in a take away cup even though they are dining in. Just fuck off you wank stained shit rag!!!

Don't be hating on the M14!
With a hey day from 1949 to 1978 in the USSR and it's wide spread use outside of that, I think the AK was able to demonstrate it's superiority to the M1, M14 and M16. Given the short term of serive the M14 had one must wonder why it was out dated so quickly?

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm not saying that what wealthy individuals are already giving is a bad thing by any means. But the statistics do give you pause to think about just how selfless these people actually are. If you look at what Bill and Melinda Gates are doing, that's pretty fucking impressive. It doesn't look like any wealthy Australian is contributing at anywhere near the same level.

The article doesn't criticise anybody either, it's simply pointing out that these people don't exactly need to be lauded for their sacrifice.

I read it the other day, and was genuinely surprised. I don't mean for it to be a lecture; I think it's a good conversation starter.
It is a current matter of debate in the philanthropic field whether publishing data of giving is a good practice in any way at all. There are positives and negatives to it.

Positives
Gives encouragement to others to give. Gives the charity a form of advertising. Feel good factor to the giver.

Negatives
Big noting yourself - just giving to have your name up. Should the motivation for giving to have your name published - should it simply be altruistic? The basic tenet of charity is the benefit goes to the receiver, so if publishing the giving, you have priorities mixed up. The idea that any certain percentage should be given has no basis except being a number made up by the author, it is just an arbitrary basis for comparison. Just because someone gave X% is great, but has zero bearing on others in fact.

I don't argue either way but this is a timely debate topic.

Thanks for asking.

I've just completed some work for a youth suicide related charity. The bill for this (for a paying client) would have been around 1% of my company's annual turnover. I do a few of these a year at the expense of paid jobs.

How about you?
Is the company yours? Or are you an employee?

You have posted a blog post that criticises people for their lack of giving. You can argue its not criticism, but its very thinly veiled criticism, based on back of the napkin research. The blog only looks at the $Dollars given by people. So lets compare apples with apples please:

If you own the company, it means you gave some time to the charity. Comparing it to the blog, that is $Zero, so it's 0.00% of net wealth. You can give it a value if you wish, but these wealthy people also give time not just dollars, so we'd have to add the value at their wealth position to have valid comparison.

If you are an employee, that means you are claiming your work time, your employer has allowed to a charitable cause, as your donation. Your employer has donated that, not you.

Sorry I am not having a go, but I've just turned your workplace donation to a $worthless value, by my own statistical madd skillz. Its in response to a poorly conceived blog post by him that is criticising charity by others - call it what you want but its criticising their values. He also fails to mention the fact that his giving into a PAF (Private Ancillary Fund - not a Foundation) gives him a one-off enormous tax deduction. Funny he didn't mention that we the taxpayer supported his charitable activities.

Your time you gave to the suicide cause is great - keep it up! In reply I also give time to causes, such as gardening charities, tree planting on public land, land rehabilitation and Treasurer for sporting clubs. I also include my children so they learn the good of giving. Many hours and days in these causes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I've just turned your workplace donation to a $worthless value, by my own statistical madd skillz.
And so, by extension, you've made worthless all of the similar donations of time and skill you were praising wealthy people for a few posts ago.

If Gina Rinehart devoted 1% of potential turnover across her operations into a charitable cause, it would affect her net worth. Same applies in my situation.

Whether the guy's blog post is poorly conceived or not is a matter of opinion, but I think we can take it as a fact that some of the very wealthy, like Gates are giving a shitload more to charity than others.

stirk

Burner
And cunts who want their coffee in a take away cup
I'm a stand up drink my 'takeaway' at the counter in a ceramic/glass cup (whatever you coffee dudes give me I don't care) and bugger off in a few minutes, chatting to the barista and likely annoying them but that's better than sit around for 30 minutes sipping on my espresso at a table!

I read a while back that Aussies take the longest to drink a coffee, it's a social thing not a drug thing apparently, for me it's all about the fix and a quick chat with the barista...

Past favorite cafe's see me coming, start making my coffee straight away, big queue, nah, waltz right up and boom there's my coffee ready to go, yeah I'll pay that later when you're quite in the arvo and I need my second fix;)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I try not to firewalk, keeps the footprint cleaner. I meant what $ income but I agree with you. Until next year. I dont plan to pay tax next year!

I gave up four trips a year to Japan for meetings that could be done by teleconference, not popular with the boss. Or my then CFO who loved the trips. I did too but they were unnecessary and wrote off 10 days and three weekends.

I have solar, use tank water and have biocycle waste treatment. Planted 1,000 trees since being at my current house. So that is likely better than average.

Car use is high because there is no public transport for 10+km though since March all but one of my city meetings have been at the end of a train journey. Because those arent frequent and out of peak hours I enjoy the trip!

I 4wd, I participate in car racing. Those be bad too.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I try not to firewalk, keeps the footprint cleaner.

I gave up four trips a year to Japan for meetings that could be done by teleconference, not popular with the boss. Or my then CFO who loved the trips. I did too but they were unnecessary and wrote off 10 days and three weekends.

I have solar, use tank water and have biocycle waste treatment. Planted 1,000 trees since being at my current house. So that is likely better than average.

Car use is high because there is no public transport for 10+km though since March all but one of my city meetings have been at the end of a train journey. Because those arent frequent and out of peak hours I enjoy the trip!

I 4wd, I participate in car racing. Those be bad too.
Cool.

Let's get everyone else on board.

Good luck with that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Um. That would be the rich people in the first world countries.

People like you & I and those richer.

I bet your carbon footprint is ugly. Mine is ugly too. Wish it wasn't.
I think you owe it to all of us to provide a means (or memes) with which to measure our foot prints.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm a stand up drink my 'takeaway' at the counter in a ceramic/glass cup (whatever you coffee dudes give me I don't care) and bugger off in a few minutes, chatting to the barista and likely annoying them but that's better than sit around for 30 minutes sipping on my espresso at a table!

I read a while back that Aussies take the longest to drink a coffee, it's a social thing not a drug thing apparently, for me it's all about the fix and a quick chat with the barista...

Past favorite cafe's see me coming, start making my coffee straight away, big queue, nah, waltz right up and boom there's my coffee ready to go, yeah I'll pay that later when you're quite in the arvo and I need my second fix;)
Fuck you chatty guy. Nah chatting with regulars is one of the good bits. I've worked in places where it was essential and those where it was extremely frowned upon, the former is always better. Taking quick shots is also a good thing and more people should do it. One place here does stand up shots for $2! Slam it and move on. I wish I got to.

Pourque?

Ahhhhhhh. Google.

No, cabinet timbers like Quandong, Ash, Silky Oak, Maple, Beech, White cedar and some bush foods like wattles, Illawarra plum, lemon myrtle. Etc.
Investing in forestry based super. Excellent tax move

stirk

Burner
Pourque?

Ahhhhhhh. Google.

No, cabinet timbers like Quandong, Ash, Silky Oak, Maple, Beech, White cedar and some bush foods like wattles, Illawarra plum, lemon myrtle. Etc.
Planted a few thousand of those trees myself up in FNQ about 24 years ago, sadly not in my family anymore. Planting those seedlings by hand was a LTIH!