eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
All things being equal, a Gelding will be lighter than a Stallion.
That's because there is a huge dick on the stallion....

I'll be here till Thursday. Don't forget to check out the all you can eat buffet on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm starting to worry about this mythical stereo typical eMTB rider you refer to. Half man half beast (or burger).
Was more a jestful nod to your admission of only having casual approach to riding, nothing too serious I think you said and that skill/fitness being a result of effort put in. Rather than suggesting you were the majestic Michelin man himself on a bike. Though if you are I request you use Michelin tyres.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's because there is a huge dick on the stallion....

I'll be here till Thursday. Don't forget to check out the all you can eat buffet on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I didn't realise they cut the horse's cock off as well as his nuts. Are you sure about your intel on this?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah I think this style solution might appeal to a lot more riders. If the big brands can ultimately get to a point where they are making a normal MTB and just give you the extra option of buying a motor battery drop in frame unit - that is a game changer. Some will still not buy the extra unit (because it would probably be $2000). Others would buy it for hell of it. Maybe to grab out of the car if the shuttle is done for day or to squeeze in one last run if they are cooked or have a niggle or short term injury. Importantly it would just be a normal bike with the option of a kit. Not a ground up ebike.
I totally agree, this should be the way forward and would further blur the lines between a MTB and e-MTB buyer and probably would get a lot of people who weren't interested onboard and having double shots of the e-KoolAid.

Having one bike that could be both by the addition/removal of a battery pack and motor would be a wise move and hard to argue with. I'd think if done correctly then it could even be the 'standard' bike in a 5-10 years into the future. Also gives manufacturers a nice excuse to make permanently heavier bikes and get away with it which sucks quite a bit of arse.

Have to keep in mind that this is in someways like the early days on MTB'ing where experimentation is needed and things need to go wrong or meet some deadends. Takes a few years and a few better or more marketable designs will bubble to the top. Some vested interest eventually will push for a certain standard or three and will see how the rest follow it along. I think we may even end up with batteries and motors designed for different purposes, like long XC-ish rides compared to Enduro / Motocross-lite kind of courses.

I will enjoy sitting back and watching the whole mess unfold in some sort of way. Might even finally get me away from my old stuff and join the current decade which sounds like a big headache but strangely enticing at the same time.

No doubt @moorey and I will petition with big arsed signs for integrated 26" single pivot eMTB's then panic when the world's supply of decent 26" rubber eventually dries up, Oh well.

moorey

call me Mia
I have intentionally given this thread a wide berth...nothing positive to add....shan’t be reading back for context.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Problem is its probably not in the major bike companies interests to support a universal third party drop in motor battery unit that works in their conventional bikes. If they can't build a different ground up eMTB then they aren't really going to sell more bikes. Lets be honest, this seems to be a case of the big brands pushing hard to create a new market (which is perfectly sensible business strategy if you have the resources to risk). The ebike product makes sense because its just tapping into a different category of casual riders at a time when everyone is worried about congestion and emissions. The better they refine it with these systems the more that will accept it. Interesting times ahead within this space.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've created a new area in the Riding section of the forum to talk about E Bikes (pedal assist). I've tried to reiterate this a few times that you're only welcome to chat on that topic if it is relevant please, we're not keen on moderating some of the immature shit that has gone on in other E bike threads. If it goes pear shaped, we'll cut it away and look like dopes who aren't interested in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.