eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
@birdmanoz what style of riding are you into? I'm not talking what type of vehicle, but you wake up and are busting a nut to spin some wheels...what style is your go to? At the end of the ride when you're sitting back espresso in hand slinging shit on your mates and bragging about the ride, what were you doing on the ride? Because when you guys are disregarding the weight penalty I have to wonder what your style is so I can understand how weight plays into your daily.

For me it is going to have been some sort of gravity - popping jumps, railing berms, and sending drops...all the biggest too, I am the storm front of rampagecrankworksslopestyle...so in those situations extra weight sucks the bags. Not just because I'm too weak to lift it over my head at the end and shout out in triumph either. Trying to manoeuvre a weighty bike through a fast dynamic trail is not fun, I even notice the difference between 2 of my bikes that are only about 1kg apart. As I've mentioned previously these are the type of trails that I am encountering the new breed of e-bikes on.
To answer your question - I'm a casual rider and don't really have a strong preference. I'm unlikely to get too serious regular trips to Lysterfield or You Yangs etc. I live inner east and am happy to ride some single track near the river. Maybe once or twice a year I will get back up to Bright and ride around there (again some of the flatter stuff but no more than the intermediate trails). Also commuting to work couple days a week. So none of that is the serious hardcore smashing down trails and over jumps at full speed that many here do. I don't so much bust a nut to ride rather just like getting outdoors in general. Anything that achieves that is good for me.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The new range of bikes are integrating the battery in the frame and keeping weight quite low. Bosch powertube and others have similar in frame solutions. Also looks a little cleaner. But there is no denying the extra 8 to 10 kg takes some getting use to and may not be appropriate for all trails. I've ridden mine around some of the yarra single track up and down. Some bits a pretty tight but I find the 27.5 a bit easier than my 29. You feel the weight but i am getting use to it and changing riding accordingly. If you read about the guys (and watch) that are actually quite skilled at normal MTB's they seem to adjust and make it work. My skill level is not high enough on normal MTB to determine difference in capability between the two. But in terms of momentum on flat or uphill - as heavy as the eMTB is - it moves very easily on any mode (unsurprisingly). They really are a lot of fun. I only happened to buy one because I had some time to kill a month or so ago and test rode a trek powerfly. Same Bosch motor. I wasn't expecting much but was blown away. Opens many opportunities for more casual riders.
I had a go on one and was expecting more like a motor bike feel but it was quite different, it was sort of an over dampened suspension and less lively feel. I felt a bit reluctant to lean the bike over into the slow corners as much as I would have on a normal bike. I can only assume that e-bikes will become better over time and most likely a lot faster.

If you like riding the bike, just ride it. If you ride it sensibly nobody will ever care, it's like some people come on here and ask for approval or acceptance then all the fights start. You don't need to justify the bike you ride to anybody but yourself as long as it's legal where you ride it, If someone gives you a hard time on the trails about an e-bike it doesn't necessarily mean that they're regular posters on RB Some people in the past have harped on about how they will overtake the world because they have in Europe and other place but last time I checked I lived in Australia. I still see pedal bikes as the predominate bike on my local trails at the moment.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Maybe take it as a hint that we don't appreciate your aggressive attitude and constant nitpicking trying to start a shitfight and that if you don't just chill a bit we'll ban your account and any you make after that. We don't care what you think about e-bikes, we care about the way you conduct yourself.

If you've got a problem with the way people are here, the way people think about ebikes, the way product reviews are done and the way we manage this website, just go to another website where you will be happier. If you can get along on this website without constantly pushing against the grain we'd be happy with that too.

Up to you.

PS - poodle, appreciate if you'd stop atagonising as well.
You do care otherwise you wouldn't have bothered muting my account (thanks for restoring it!). My concern for everyone else now is that this isn't supposed to be an oppressed dictatorship where these types of decisions are made on a whim or when your personal feelings get hurt.. especially when it's not equitable. I assume the likes of Poodle has never been muted or disabled (do you even read his garbage?).

I'm not in here posting dick pics. I'm still on topic and giving the perspective of a mountain biker that also rides ebikes.. ?? Besides.. why is my attitude and nitpicking such a problem when you can simply click on the "ignore" button (according to Poodles)??

Also fix the "reCAPTCHA verification is loading." issue so I can create another account after you mute and throttle the speed of this one again.

... last time I checked I lived in Australia.
Flow-rider is being condescending and nitpicky.. MUTE HIS ACCOUNT!

Ebikes are too heavy which make them ride like shit. We also live in Australia so Europe's experience and data on ebikes is irrelevant (maybe if we lived beneath the ocean?).

bikie

Rock Bottom
So it seems two segments of the potential market for eMTB.

1. Hardcore MTBr's that focus as much on serious fitness as they do on riding element. They also want light bikes because skill levels will generally be greater and they are easier to move around. These would be weekly riders over several years including some mountains.

2. Casual MTB's that do some MTB from time to time but not all the time. Fitness is smaller part...
What if you're a hardcore MTB'er with high skill levels but only ride casually (like me :cool:)?? Fitness has never been apart of riding for me. It's always been about fun. Surely that's the perspective of most people? Again.. data would be greatly insightful here.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
What if you're a hardcore MTB'er with high skill levels but only ride casually (like me :cool:)?? Fitness has never been apart of riding for me. It's always been about fun. Surely that's the perspective of most people? Again.. data would be greatly insightful here.
Like most things capability is normally directly proportional to time invested. Bike fitness is also generally proportional to time invested. Commonsense.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What if you're a hardcore MTB'er with high skill levels but only ride casually (like me :cool:)??
I'd ask you the same question I posed to the bird man (will have to find out if heikes birds the same way Richard Morecroft likes bats or if he is in fact Michael Kenton...), what type of riding floats your boat? What do you meam by high skill levels? These are ambiguous terms because for each of us they mean different things. If you could define them it may help some of us understand your perspective a little.

I feel I have an upper-medium skill level, if it was a ski hill I'd be hitting the advanced blue and easier black Diamond. I base my definition on comparison to those around me, I ride better than some and worse than others. As for regularity I clock around 20km per day averaged out, day in day out even in the rain. But I don't have a car and live in the middle of Newcastle.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You do care otherwise you wouldn't have bothered muting my account (thanks for restoring it!). My concern for everyone else now is that this isn't supposed to be an oppressed dictatorship where these types of decisions are made on a whim or when your personal feelings get hurt.. especially when it's not equitable. I assume the likes of Poodle has never been muted or disabled (do you even read his garbage?).

I'm not in here posting dick pics. I'm still on topic and giving the perspective of a mountain biker that also rides ebikes.. ?? Besides.. why is my attitude and nitpicking such a problem when you can simply click on the "ignore" button (according to Poodles)??

Also fix the "reCAPTCHA verification is loading." issue so I can create another account after you mute and throttle the speed of this one again.

Flow-rider is being condescending and nitpicky.. MUTE HIS ACCOUNT!

Ebikes are too heavy which make them ride like shit. We also live in Australia so Europe's experience and data on ebikes is irrelevant (maybe if we lived beneath the ocean?).

Mate, this isn’t a democracy, it’s a privately owned website that you access for free. The standards we set here are up to us and are not open to discussion.

So, this is the last post both you and I will make on the matter. Please take on board what has been said and just talk bikes and don’t go out of your way to look for arguments, please.

End of discussion, back onto to bikes.

safreek

Mate, this isn’t a democracy, it’s a privately owned website that you access for free. The standards we set here are up to us and are not open to discussion.

So, this is the last post both you and I will make on the matter. Please take on board what has been said and just talk bikes and don’t go out of your way to look for arguments, please.

End of discussion, back onto to bikes.
Who's become a softy in old age:p

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a shame we lost ideate to this ridiculous thread. He contributed a lot to this site with his interesting hacks and he has offered to build wheels for more than one burner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
It's a shame we lost ideate to this ridiculous thread. He contributed a lot to this site with his interesting hacks and offered to build wheels for more than one burner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Oh, is that what happened to him.... Wondered where he went.

bikie

Rock Bottom
What do you meam by high skill levels? ..
You might need to rework this so it makes sense. KIDDING!

I suspect we're at a similar skill level. The ski slopes rating is a good way of describing or measuring skill I suppose. I can ski any double black but not necessarily jump or gap every feature in the park (most of them). Same for bikes. I can bunny hop, huck gaps, manual (better than mono actually), thrash steep berms, chutes and rock gardens (flats only) etc.

So my ebike gives me more of that fun stuff when shuttles aren't running. Going between regular bikes and ebikes requires adjustment but it's minimal just like when you swap from your HT to your DH rig. It's not as dramatic as it's made out to be.

Also admin, what's the point of blocking my IP (like you did today) when people have dynamic IP's and use VPN's? Seriously! Hurry up and fix your captcha sign up issue!

bikie

Rock Bottom
bickie, if there is an issue with the site post it here. But as you already have an account not sure why it's still bothering you so much.
It's a problem because people like you can't create another account when admin decide to impose one of their deterrent measures such as slowing your account down or ip blocking (which they've tried on me since contributing to this thread). There's no sentimental loss so I don't know why they bother with me. There's clearly more important issues to attend to like the sign up process.. Or lack of. It's funny because when I ask people if they're on rotorburn out on the trail, the common answer is no but I've heard of it or come across something online. The rest say it's either shit, gone to shit recently (trading section) or no, never heard of it.

Anyway, back on topic. If I had an ebike, I'd eat more pizza. Oh wait, I do so now I can enjoy riding my bike AND more pizza.

stirk

Burner
It's a problem because people like you can't create another account when admin decide to impose one of their deterrent measures such as slowing your account down or ip blocking (which they've tried on me since contributing to this thread). There's no sentimental loss so I don't know why they bother with me. There's clearly more important issues to attend to like the sign up process.. Or lack of. It's funny because when I ask people if they're on rotorburn out on the trail, the common answer is no but I've heard of it or come across something online. The rest say it's either shit, gone to shit recently (trading section) or no, never heard of it.

Anyway, back on topic. If I had an ebike, I'd eat more pizza. Oh wait, I do so now I can enjoy riding my bike AND more pizza.
Strange reply as you're the one trying to create accounts not me, are you Hyena perhaps?

You on a high horse and now being silly/trolling with the pizza comments but you're probably correct in saying ebike riders eat too much pizza hence the need for the ebike and they'll just continue to gain weight as you never put in the effort to get personal fitness gains and lose weight. Beside trail wear caused by 'illegal' powerful ebikes perhaps the reason alot of people here are against them is that while you are still able bodied riding an ebike is cheating yourself from good exercise.

If I'm hungover I don't need an ebike to get out there and ride, putting in the effort to ride makes the hangover go away!

When I'm old and unable to ride a bike to the places I like to now I'll consider an ebike, until then I'd cheat myself the exercise and pleasure I get from putting in the effort to ride and ride hard.

Each to their own and go forth and ride your ebike, just leave this thread and the forum go and enjoy yourself.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love pizza and a lot of pizza shops are now using e-bikes for delivery. I feel so conflicted...

@stirk are you talking about this legend?

I watched a few of his videos, still have strong love the theme song! But he was a pure clown. @bikie may be a bit different but he isn't in the @Hyena ball park.

Thanks for sharing your ride style too guys (@bikie and @birdmanoz) though I still don't know if you're into birds, it does help to understand. Bikie what bike are freeriding on? Most readily available e-bikes really don't look suited to the task - geometry and components mostly. Birdmanoz...sadly you sound like a cliche of negative stereo type perpetuating of e-bike users. For health's sake I hope you aren't the build most people imagine too. Not saying it to be antagonistic just that you admit to not having the desire to put the hard work in. Understandably life style factors can impact the opportunity, kids work wife distance and so on are all real things.

Status
Not open for further replies.