Little Things You Hate

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't say for sure, but I'm up to 2700km on the original with no visual Signs of wear.

The biggest benefit I get from the effort is how clean it all stays. I can throw the thing in the boot and not worry what happens to touch it.
2700 is good, is it past the stretch tool measurerer thing or within tolerance?

Edit- your in Mildura right? I grew up there I reckon the lack a pinchy casette crunching hills might add to your chain life..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
"Those grapes were probably sour anyway"
Also, I'll believe that when I see it!! How long you had to get wheels on your bike now? Let alone a drive train.
I plead Australia Post! I want my matchy matchy red and white bits. Might fit and bleed brakes tonight though. Wheels are done, and with a suitably antagonistic xc rear tyre - just for you.

Anyway some fuckwit fucked my SAM and I had to fix that. Even you would be suitably impressed with the brick wall my brakes have become.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't you try the good old loctite and grease method and report back to us in how that goes?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Red locitite would be the go I reckon..

What I meant does fastidious chain cleaning and lubing make enough difference to justify vs rock and roll and wipe..

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
But that's not in the cab? So why is your wife upset?
When I pin the brakes for the latest dick who couldn't see a two tonne dual cab approaching, or the kids blindly hear their school bags in and everything slides into the bike leaving a black chain/chainring tattoo, now it's no longer an issue.
2700 is good, is it past the stretch tool measurerer thing or within tolerance?

Edit- your in Mildura right? I grew up there I reckon the lack a pinchy casette crunching hills might add to your chain life..
Um, well, I don't actually own a checker (yet). But I did lay it out next to a brand new KMC chain and it's gained about 1/3 of a link, so it'll be pretty close to being cooked.

You're correct about the lack of hills, but I reckon the year round dust makes up for it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Here you go @pink poodle a picture says a thousand words....... There's normally school bags, groceries, camp chairs and other assorted shite in front of it.

If you turned it around the other way the chain would be hidden and bags would be safe :p
but then you don't get to play with your waxy balls hehe

Red locitite would be the go I reckon..

What I meant does fastidious chain cleaning and lubing make enough difference to justify vs rock and roll and wipe..
Not in my experience. less lube is better, quiet drivetrains are all about how good at wiping you are. wax lube, let it dry and give her a wipe. Mind you I don't count k's, im happy to get 6 months quiet riding out of the mtb chain.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
6A597575-3372-4C37-B265-0FD191C3D722.png
This... is the commercial version of what Cardy is talking about... I used it back in the pre o-ring chain daze

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I used to spend hours cleaning and lubing chains but came to the better conclusion of ride more and throw the chains away sooner. I just use a product like rock n roll gold because it's fast and simple, saves time = more ride time :).

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Damn Trail Fairies! There's only ONE good section of single track on my ride home, and it only had ONE notable feature, that being a 12 inch step down into a bowl and back up, and some freaking trail Nazi has gone and cut a ramp through the step down. All the tripping hazards have been removed and the bushes cut back.

All in the name of 'safety'. :mad:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Damn Trail Fairies! There's only ONE good section of single track on my ride home, and it only had ONE notable feature, that being a 12 inch step down into a bowl and back up, and some freaking trail Nazi has gone and cut a ramp through the step down. All the tripping hazards have been removed and the bushes cut back.

All in the name of 'safety'. :mad:
BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN CARDY

shit go mate. take a little fold up shovel in the backpack next ride home and hack it back in?

Binaural

Eats Squid
LTIH: Some moron in a ute cut me off yesterday riding my bike home from work, obviously thinking he'd make. Inches from my handlebar at about 50km/hr near Sydney uni, and almost certainly deliberately as I had just descended a hill ahead of traffic and was easing over into the left land to let people pass as the road widened to two lanes (nobody was held up in the least). Unluckily for him, the light in front went red straight afterwards and he got to enjoy me giving him a frank review of his driving "skills" from up close and personal. I rarely get angry, but I had to restrain myself hard from laying hands on him.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We are given so few opportunities to go full ape shit...grasp them with both hands.
Amen to that.

Although the last time I was actually knocked off (no injuries and genuine accident), the guy was so horrified I thought he was about to burst into tears - couldn’t get angry with him...