Little Things You Hate

Binaural

Eats Squid
Amen to that.

Although the last time I was actually knocked off (no injuries and genuine accident), the guy was so horrified I thought he was about to burst into tears - couldn’t get angry with him...
Yup, mistakes happen. I remember sitting by the side of the road after another accident unable to move an arm which, as it turned out, would require a couple of surgeries to restore. But the guy was contrite and was obviously upset he'd injured me, and it made all the difference.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm trying to change careers, nearly finished my uni degree and had a meeting with a potential employer. They were not interested due to wanting someone with more experience, but gave me "helpful" advice like wearing a tie next time and "once you get your foot in the door opportunities will come".

Genuinely feel bad for the current generation of job seekers, boy was I lucky first time around 10 years ago.

scblack

Leucocholic
So I'm trying to change careers, nearly finished my uni degree and had a meeting with a potential employer. They were not interested due to wanting someone with more experience, but gave me "helpful" advice like wearing a tie next time and "once you get your foot in the door opportunities will come".

Genuinely feel bad for the current generation of job seekers, boy was I lucky first time around 10 years ago.
I work in an industrial area out here, and we have had guys looking for work knock on the door.

Wearing their stubbies and good "going-out" thongs and singlet.

Even in a warehouse environment, making an effort on appearance makes a big difference.

Good luck.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I work in an industrial area out here, and we have had guys looking for work knock on the door.

Wearing their stubbies and good "going-out" thongs and singlet.

Even in a warehouse environment, making an effort on appearance makes a big difference.

Good luck.
on the other side of the coin, we've had guys turn up for apprenticeships and TA roles wearing full suit and tie. That was abit full on, don't think they really understood what was going to be involved.

I think a good general rule wear clothing a step above what you would be wearing every day there. Rockin up to an interview in stubbies, pluggers and a wife beater is something else

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always gone with the "wear what everyone else wears to work so it looks like you'd fit straight in". The most odd part about it was that the boss certainly did not have a tie, and another employee was there in short and shorts - looked a very casual place once you got in.

It was an engineering firm. I went with standard business shirt, pants, shoes, belt, but I guess, will add tie to that next time...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think a good general rule wear clothing a step above what you would be wearing every day there. Rockin up to an interview in stubbies, pluggers and a wife beater is something else
This is what I go by too. Luckily scientists pretty much kick around in tshirts and jeans

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rarely get angry, but I had to restrain myself hard from laying hands on him.
It’s hard to hold back when the adrenaline is pumping from a near miss. After years of road commuting I don’t engage with drivers up close after a scary incident.. A merc driver pushed me off the road into the gutter on a quiet main road.. Road up to his window to give him a serve and he’s sitting there in his jocks, covered in bikie tats and was off his tits.. He went mental at me before I even started then reached over to the passenger seat for something under some clothing. I bolted out of there as he fumbled around, not sure what he was going for.. Most likely his phone but really could have easily been a gun, iron bar, knife.. It’s just not worth the risk these days with the amount of pricks on the road you have no idea what the driver is going to do..

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Honestly that is bullshit. If the standard is casual or smart casual then that is it. I dislike people who think that suits and ties matter. As long as you are suitably attired in the norm for the business then that is good.

Had a guy come in for a senior job, his background was borderline. Full Armani and flashed his Porsche keyring around. HR thought he was perfect. Standards. I canned it. He drove a 924.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I think c3024446 dodged a bullet tbh.
Dude sounds like a wanker, he might’ve just been advertising so he can tell clients his business is growing? Dodgy marketing.

That dude would’ve been a proper nightmare to work with dales..... HR can get it so wrong sometimes hahaha

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Double windsor, match belt colour to shoe colour, tuck shirt in and line the button seam up with your zipper and have the belt buckle bisect the two evenly.
You forgot super 120 suit, semi cut away collar, shirtsleeve to base of thumb and match socks, kerchief to tie.

Honestly, if you ever interview anyone who does all that:
1. they either care to much about their appearance to do good work, or
2. they are a type A douche.

Both should be avoided.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk