Little Things You Hate

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I just run a belt and change gearbox oil once every 10,000km or year (whichever comes first).
Or send your gearbox to Germany for six weeks when it doesn't shift.

It takes me 10mins to prep a new chain and 1min to lube. I can prep and lube a lot of chains in six weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh wow...a pissing contest over chain lube! I just spray mine with innox or silicon spray when it sounds dried out, which ever of those is closest to the bike rack! Then I ride it straight out the door...fuck it I don't even wipe it down boys. Not once ever. And...wait for it...I've had the same chain on the pivot since I built it! Check my pyr for deets because I've forgotten.

@steve jobs' pancreas just go with the flow man. You'd either have very little alternatives for how to waste time or be super retentive to need to focus on this one. Spray and ride man!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The old guy, forgotten his name now, who had the downhill shop in Ferntree Gully was selling off stuff cheap when he closed the shop. I was going to buy a bunch of his chain lube. He knew I rode motorbikes too and asked me… what lube do you run on your motorbikes? I replied ChainWax. He said, that’s what I use too, I just sell all that other stuff to the punters. He mentioned it’ll gunk up your derailleur jockey wheels, so they'll need an occasional scrub, but other than that, it’s the bees knees. I sit the can in the sun or put it on a heater to get it runny. Once on, it does not attract dirt, is unaffected by water and runs nice and quiet. Compared to pushbike lube, it’s cheap too.

slowmick

38-39"
@Lazmo - my guess Tony Burchill at Streamline Cycles. I seem to remember seeing him in a magazine labelled at Tony "Moose" Burchill. Certainly a unique customer service model.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
So does any of these chain lube methods really make zero fucks difference to the life of the chain and/or casette?
When you look at the time, effort, chemicals needed for cleaning and lubes vs $30 for a new chain, the extra few ks just isn't worth it.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
When you look at the time, effort, chemicals needed for cleaning and lubes vs $30 for a new chain, the extra few ks just isn't worth it.
This is true, but the sounds of a sad chain makes baby jesus cry. I'm buying smooth and quiet running, not chain life :)

An OCD button that gets pressed more on the roadie...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I keep meaning to try this with my roadie... I think I even have an old rice cooker lying around somewhere.
Do it. Apparently slow cookers/crock pots are the go.
@Cardy George, I felt so angry at your post I had to, um, do nothing ;-)

Molten wax baths are only an old school method because it's a pain in the neck to do, as you generally need a pretty well-stocked workshop, patience and to be at least a little clueful about not setting your chain bath on fire. Depositing room-temperature wax with solvent is much easier. IIRC Sheldon Brown used to recommend the practice, so it can't be all bad.
I use paraffin wax beads ($15 p/kg) in a metal bowl, floating in a pot of water on a portable butane stove. The wax melts at 50 degrees and the water won't get over 100 degrees so it's well below flash point.

Oh wow...a pissing contest over chain lube! I just spray mine with innox or silicon spray when it sounds dried out, which ever of those is closest to the bike rack! Then I ride it straight out the door...fuck it I don't even wipe it down boys. Not once ever. And...wait for it...I've had the same chain on the pivot since I built it! Check my pyr for deets because I've forgotten.

@steve jobs' pancreas just go with the flow man. You'd either have very little alternatives for how to waste time or be super retentive to need to focus on this one. Spray and ride man!
That was me too Poods, but the better half got sick of me leaving sticky black chain marks over everything when it gets put in the back of the dual cab three times a week
So does any of these chain lube methods really make zero fucks difference to the life of the chain and/or casette?
Can't say for sure, but I'm up to 2700km on the original with no visual Signs of wear.

The biggest benefit I get from the effort is how clean it all stays. I can throw the thing in the boot and not worry what happens to touch it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Here you go @pink poodle a picture says a thousand words....... There's normally school bags, groceries, camp chairs and other assorted shite in front of it.

I should point out the biggest weakness of the wax is rain. It can handle a shower and general spray off the road but cop a proper soaking and it's gone.

I use it coz it's cheap, clean and it's drier than a dead dingo around here. Like 280mm rain for the year dry.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Almost forgot...

I have a special fuck you! for woolworths. I've been hitting this milk up for years and I've never realised until just now, that it's a fucking woolworths in house brand! A nice big fuck you to farmers, rather than their own product. Yes I'm sure there was a farm and farm workers (farmers even) involved in the primary production of the milk, but this branding and packaging gives the impression that it is their own work making this happen right down the chain. Fuck you woolworths.

Attachments