The QUICK question thread.....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those who don't encounter the stuff in the workshop could be blissfully unaware of the shitness that is x5 and below. It's hard to believe, but X4 and X3 are even worse; truly dreadful stuff. Fortunately they're rarely seen in the wild, partially due to low OEM uptake (because they're shit), and the rest because what did escape crapped itself and was replaced by something better, like Shimano Tourney.....

For anyone wondering how new relates to old SRAM, I did post this somewhere else a while ago:
XX/XX1 at leat remains consistent through 10, 11 & 12-sp; there was never 9-sp. XX
X0/X01 also remains somwhat consistent through 9-12-sp.
X9 applied to 9 & 10-sp, but with the advent of 11-sp. became X1. Go figure....
Similarly, X7 morphed into GX with 11-sp....
And X5 became NX. But is still really X5 and should really only be touched with a sledgehammer.
As bad as they are I've run an X7 on a dirt jumper without any issues other than the chain slap for about 6 years, seeing there was a fair bit of plastic on them I bought an XT group set for the bike that's sitting around as spares.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What are cassette options (size) for an old X7 derailleur (non-clutch)? Is 11-36 the largest? Can I wolftooth a solution to go toward 40/42t?
I've ran mid-30s on old school Sram. The bike I fixed up recently has a 36t top and a 9 speed old school x0 mid cage. There seemed to be no issues.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've ran mid-30s on old school Sram. The bike I fixed up recently has a 36t top and a 9 speed old school x0 mid cage. There seemed to be no issues.
I’m currently running 11-36t, but was hoping I could use a sunrace cassette to extend. Not sure if I can though...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’m currently running 11-36t, but was hoping I could use a sunrace cassette to extend. Not sure if I can though...
Can't vouch for the 36T. My 34T with a long cage x9 works fine. You may be able to tuck in a 36T there but make sure before spendage happens

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wouldn't be optomistic. I'll get a look at the bike in the next couple of days and let you know how it looks. May even get you a close up.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The 11-36 works great, it’s anything beyond that (e.g. a 11-40t) that I’m growing less confident will work. Cheers

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
10-sp. is designed for 36T, 9-sp. officially 34T but will fairly probably be fine with 36. Cage length has more to do with the number of chainrings.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
10-sp. is designed for 36T, 9-sp. officially 34T but will fairly probably be fine with 36. Cage length has more to do with the number of chainrings.
Would 4ot be ok with a normal long cage rd - I'm running xt (circa 2015) and x7 (circa 2014) on the two bikes in question.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Would 4ot be ok with a normal long cage rd - I'm running xt (circa 2015) and x7 (circa 2014) on the two bikes in question.
Depends on the upper body geometry of the derailleur. Shimano Shadow-type 9- & 10-sp. models can be coaxed well enough into fitting a 40T, but crack the shits a bit with bigger. However the shifting does go a bit off towards the higher end of the cassette as the clearance between the sprockets & top pulley opens up a bit much.

SRAM I don't know about, but given that like Shadow derailleurs the B-tension screw is a positive stopper rather than a tensioner on a sprung main pivot like a traditional derailleur, they could probably also take a 40T.

But as I said before, cage length has more to do with accommodating a certain number of chainrings, but the combination of rings and cassette does need to be factored as well. A medium cage will be fine for a 1x system as long as the derailleur body will physically fit the largest sprocket.

slowmick

38-39"
Booked in for a blue dirt shuttle on the weekend. Do you need and MTBA licence for insurance coverage? Do they do day licences? Been a few years since i used their service and can't find anything on the website or the booking email.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Nah, just jump on and ride! No memberships needed.

If you're after insurance, you'd have to sort your own.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are cassette options (size) for an old X7 derailleur (non-clutch)? Is 11-36 the largest? Can I wolftooth a solution to go toward 40/42t?
Not sure about x7 on my son's bike have run an x9 clutch (2015) with an Sunrace 11-42 with no dramas.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Where can I get a bleed block for my Guides from? Or what’s easiest alternative without spare rotors and pads...