Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't get a heat exchanger. They waste heaps of water and need filtered water.

Honestly for home use you don't need anymore then a good single boiler. Spend the money on a good grinder.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Any reason why filtered water is more important with a HX machine over a single boiler when they both generally use a single copper boiler, the difference being the HX machine running a pipe through the boiler for the brewhead.

I was looking at doing an Expobar Leva machine with a Mazzer Mini electric (about 3k). But I do think it's overkill for a only 4/6 coffees a day (2 people). I think realistically I'd be just as well served with a Lellit PL41TEM and similar priced grinder. And do it all under my original 2k budget. I'm just a sucker for expensive, shiny looking things. Explains why I seem to have a new frame every 12 months

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you tried to adjust the grind on a Mazzer before? Their mechanism allows for very accurate minute adjustments but it is stiffer than a bride groom! Some of the smaller people I've worked with really struggle to budge the collar.

Cold brew is really easy to make at home. Grind coffee, add cold water, shake shake shake, into fridge for 24+ hours, shake whenever you're in the fridge, or not doesn't really matter, filter it, serve. When filtering a $1 funnel from kmart and regular every day paper filters work a treat. Wet filter before filtering. Now you vae delicious cold brew for the emergency caffeine...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cold brew ftw.

Deffinately the cheapest way to coffee at home.
Sure is. Plus easy to do, idiot proof. And delicious too! I make a 700ml bottle of it with only a little more coffee than I use to make a single espresso. It's versatile as well. Drink it black, milk, cream, iced, with maple syrup, with maypole syrup and cream (the moose knuckle!) with rum, with whisky, with brandy, then there's cocktails...reduce it on the stove top into a syrup for desserts, fill water bombs with it! The lost goes on and on.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Any reason why filtered water is more important with a HX machine over a single boiler when they both generally use a single copper boiler, the difference being the HX machine running a pipe through the boiler for the brewhead.

I was looking at doing an Expobar Leva machine with a Mazzer Mini electric (about 3k). But I do think it's overkill for a only 4/6 coffees a day (2 people). I think realistically I'd be just as well served with a Lellit PL41TEM and similar priced grinder. And do it all under my original 2k budget. I'm just a sucker for expensive, shiny looking things. Explains why I seem to have a new frame every 12 months
Single boilers get flushed every use, simply because you have to prime the boiler constantly.

Hx machine boilers don't get flushed nearly as often because the boiler is mainly for boiling water for steam. If you don't regularly flush the boiler you start getting ever more concentrated salts in the boiler that can damage the boiler. Regular flushing uses a lot of water.

Double boilers suffer much the same problem.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Single boilers get flushed every use, simply because you have to prime the boiler constantly.

Hx machine boilers don't get flushed nearly as often because the boiler is mainly for boiling water for steam. If you don't regularly flush the boiler you start getting ever more concentrated salts in the boiler that can damage the boiler. Regular flushing uses a lot of water.

Double boilers suffer much the same problem.

Makes sense. Might pull the trigger on something tonight if I get a chance. I think a nice single boiler machine will be fine for the amount of coffees I do every day. Water here is pretty soft but I'd still like to have something I don't have to fret over as the years roll on.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Makes sense. Might pull the trigger on something tonight if I get a chance. I think a nice single boiler machine will be fine for the amount of coffees I do every day. Water here is pretty soft but I'd still like to have something I don't have to fret over as the years roll on.
FWIW I have never filtered Melb water in my Silvia, pulled the boiler apart not long ago and there was zero build up.. I have descaled about 3 times in 10 years as well ..

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FWIW I have never filtered Melb water in my Silvia, pulled the boiler apart not long ago and there was zero build up.. I have descaled about 3 times in 10 years as well ..
Well now you've got me swaying the other way dammit. Water here is pretty good and I'm half as likely to buy a HX machine just on looks alone.

Didn't order last night because we had to finish the last two episodes of Mindhunter. I swear I'll get around to it soon

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Didn't order last night because we had to finish the last two episodes of Mindhunter.
To try and take this coffee discussion off topic - I watched season 1, got a bit monotonous by the end. See there are two (?) more seasons. Does it get better/worse?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To try and take this coffee discussion off topic - I watched season 1, got a bit monotonous by the end. See there are two (?) more seasons. Does it get better/worse?
It's Rotorburn, going off topic is part of the rules I'm sure.

I enjoyed season 1 and I found season two a bit up and down. There's definitely some interviews that are just riveting to watch but some are a bit flat. Without spoiling the main plotline (can you spoil something based on history?) It has a bit of an anticlimactic ending but there's not much you can do when it's based on reality.

They still tease the guy they started showing us in season 1, so I'm guessing he will be the focus in season 3.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Sure is. Plus easy to do, idiot proof. And delicious too! I make a 700ml bottle of it with only a little more coffee than I use to make a single espresso. It's versatile as well. Drink it black, milk, cream, iced, with maple syrup, with maypole syrup and cream (the moose knuckle!) with rum, with whisky, with brandy, then there's cocktails...reduce it on the stove top into a syrup for desserts, fill water bombs with it! The lost goes on and on.
ohh man!

i just make up 2 litres and add sweetened condensed milk to taste! maple syrup next ! yumm!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok...flame suit on and go...

I was in Tokyo today and finally executed a long awaited plan. Tokyo currently has the world's largest Starbucks and a product that I've wanted to try for yeas. Something I found out a few weeks after I returned from snow season 2019. If only I'd known about this before this before then! I wouldn't have spent almost a year waiting to know and be a year ahead of myself.

They sell whiskey barrel aged cold brew. I learnt of barrel aged cold brew a few years ago. Apparently there is(or was) a cafe in Osaka where it was sold for about $1000US per serve. I like the taste of various other have been barrel aged, I like coffee, how could this be bad? But I couldn't justify that kind of spend. Starbucks to the rescue!

At about ¥1300 for a serve it was a lot more tempting. So a 30 minute train ride across town, a 10 minute walk, a few minutes in line to be a ticket to enter the building, a 35 minute wait, and finally I was inside! Order taken do I want .y cold brew hot or in ice? Come again? Yep...they have a machine there that makes a bit drink out of cold brew and leaves a gross looking coffee goo pancake that I couldn't quite work out. Anyway I went for cold and my friend wet hot. Both were fucking amazing.

The cold cold brew had a syrup like texture. The flavour wasn't overly complex, I tried my hardest to be the biggest wine tasting top shelf spirit sniftering wanker I could but there wasn't much support in the glass. It was very mildly acidic, mellow, a little coco and caramel, and bam! All sweeeeeeeeeeet sweeeeeet sweeeeeet. Not like sugar or honey or maple syrup, but like a really delicious sweetness that just hung in your mouth. Then a very light vanilla finish. It was absolutely superb and I'm going to buy me a on oak barrel or three and see how it all tastes in 2021.

The hot cold brew tasted quite different. It was served with a layer of warm milk on top of it, so looked like an Irish coffee. It had a similar sweetness and to me was a lot like a man Irish coffee, if the purveyor of said coffee had used a really good coffee rather than some heal shit like normal.

The barrels used are apparently Knobb Creek bourbon barrels. To be clear the whisky flavour I have been referring to is NOT a thing like bourbon. It is more Irish or Asian style. If you happen to be in the area and like coffee...it's well worth it. There I've done it! I've encouraged people to go to Starbucks...I feel sick. I'm going to go spew for a bit.