Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pffft the DE1PRO is cheaper does proper pressure profiling AND does temp profiling. Also no boiler, so doesn't need filtered water.

Puq press would be useless at home. I don't single dose, so first shot of the day needs longer grind time and firmer tamp to get appropriate pour.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
You're just looking for excuses to ride a giant...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Don't get me started on my lust for an Elektra Belle Epoque.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lots of good stuff here, cheers.

The shop is trying to push me towards the Lelit Kate which has a built in grinder over let's say, the Lelit PL41 (PID model) and seperate grinder. Even saying that would be a downgrade.

I was under the assumption that a grinder built into the machine was a no-no due to heat and condensation that could occur in the hopper, spoiling the beans. I mean, I'd hope with a near on 2k machine that wouldn't be the case but anyway.

There's a second hand Gaggia Classic that's just popped up on the market place for a steal. I think the only thing letting it down is the steam wand, which can be changed.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I messed around with a few tampers, other than hand feel do they make much difference? Seems to me that the grind and dosing affects the shot way more than the tamp pressure, evenness?
The aim is consistency, so yeah, they do make a difference. Not as much as other parts of the coffee making process but still worth getting a good one.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was originally drawn to the Rancilio but the Lilit comes with a factory PID for about the same price. Also a quicker warm-up (10 mins vs 30 mins).

I'll probably get analysis paralysis between models but at the end of the day they both make coffee I guess lol. Keep the suggestions coming!

Also I checked out that Mazzer Mini grinder but even Jet-black recommends in their description that for that price you'd be better off with a Lelit doserless or equivalent due to electronic metering. I'm guessing that just takes one more bit of guesswork out of things?
Just to throw another one in the mix...
These are great vfm and have a small devoted fan base.
I can't remember the whole story, but the company enlisted the help of a big expert /guru from the industry to help design a machine that had PID and simultaneous prep ability at a bargain price. From memory the version 2 machines got a steam power upgrade too. I came within a bee's dick of buying one a little while ago.

Oddjob

Lots of good stuff here, cheers.

The shop is trying to push me towards the Lelit Kate which has a built in grinder over let's say, the Lelit PL41 (PID model) and seperate grinder. Even saying that would be a downgrade.

I was under the assumption that a grinder built into the machine was a no-no due to heat and condensation that could occur in the hopper, spoiling the beans. I mean, I'd hope with a near on 2k machine that wouldn't be the case but anyway.

There's a second hand Gaggia Classic that's just popped up on the market place for a steal. I think the only thing letting it down is the steam wand, which can be changed.
You would be right. The heat and steam is no good for beans.

The grinder is also not going to be as good as a second hand Compak/Mazzer/whatever. And this is an important point, the grinder is more important than the espresso machine. So you're better off getting the best grinder you can afford and then getting the Lelit/Rancillio/Pavoni dependant on budget.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You would be right. The heat and steam is no good for beans.

The grinder is also not going to be as good as a second hand Compak/Mazzer/whatever. And this is an important point, the grinder is more important than the espresso machine. So you're better off getting the best grinder you can afford and then getting the Lelit/Rancillio/Pavoni dependant on budget.

Yeah, figured. Bloody salesmen.

I'm not opposed to going over budget if it means I'll have years of relatively hassle-free brewing. On that note I'm also wary of grinders with electric metering etc due to the lifespan. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Also, what are some must have accessories other than the usual nicer tamp, milk jug etc?

Oddjob

Yeah, figured. Bloody salesmen.

I'm not opposed to going over budget if it means I'll have years of relatively hassle-free brewing. On that note I'm also wary of grinders with electric metering etc due to the lifespan. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Also, what are some must have accessories other than the usual nicer tamp, milk jug etc?
Not if its a big brand with lots of support.

If you get something like a Sette 270 then it's unlikely to be worth replacing the circuit board or anything else for that matter other than the burrs.

If its a Mazzer or Compak then its unlikely that the electronics would go in the first place and there is lots of support and parts available.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Your budget is ample, don't spend any more unless you love the look of something.

I spent I think $1500 on both items around 15 years ago and both still going strong with a couple of seal changes on the machine being the only expenses.

At an average of three coffees a day over those years I've saved tens of thousands vs paying poodle to make me coffees, and it's enjoyable too.

@Oddjob is spot on about the grinder and beans being the important thing. And as @pink poodle says, change beans/roaster and everything changes again.

Metering, dosing, weighing blah blah - you'll make shit coffees for a month or two either way, but like any skill once you start nailing nice coffees you won't worry about tech doing things for you.

Oddjob

In terms of accessories:
-Tamper
-2 jugs, one for single coffees and a big one for 2 large flat whites.
-Small angled brush to clean out screen and head on machine and grinder.
-Microfibre towels to wipe out portafilter and wand.
-If you get a machine with a 58mm portafilter a VST or IMS basket is good for consistency and will save you money as you need less beans to get a good pour.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Metering, dosing, weighing blah blah - you'll make shit coffees for a month or two either way, but like any skill once you start nailing nice coffees...
Agreed, you can have all the top gear but pulling a good shot is still not easy to begin with..

In regards to the rest of all the tech, PIDs, $$$ conical grinders blah blah.. If your making milk based coffees the difference all this high end stuff makes is marginal.. Yes high end will pull amazing shots but add 200ml’s of milk to it and it will taste the same as a good shot from a standard single boiler and $300 grinder..

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I messed around with a few tampers, other than hand feel do they make much difference? Seems to me that the grind and dosing affects the shot way more than the tamp pressure, evenness?
I too have a pullman with custom baskets, does it make that much difference to the coffee probably not, is it nice to use, definitely :)

Oddjob

Agreed, you can have all the top gear but pulling a good shot is still not easy to begin with..

In regards to the rest of all the tech, PIDs, $$$ conical grinders blah blah.. If your making milk based coffees the difference all this high end stuff makes is marginal.. Yes high end will pull amazing shots but add 200ml’s of milk to it and it will taste the same as a good shot from a standard single boiler and $300 grinder..
Au contraire.

A good single boiler is probably better then most hx commercial machines for pulling shots. The big difference between home and cafe is in the fresh beans, grinder and barista.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Au contraire.

A good single boiler is probably better then most hx commercial machines for pulling shots. The big difference between home and cafe is in the fresh beans, grinder and barista.

What I was saying the difference between milk based drinks made with a mazzer grinder vs Sunbeam is 2/5 of fk all. With plain espresso the nuances of shots pulled from a machine with PID’s etc is actually subtly noticeable . Add milk to the same shot and it all tastes the same.. There is a fair wank factor having bling kit only making cappuccino’s..

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I was saying the difference between milk based drinks made with a mazzer grinder vs Sunbeam is 2/5 of fk all. With plain espresso the nuances of shots pulled from a machine with PID’s etc is actually subtly noticeable . Add milk to the same shot and it all tastes the same.. There is a fair wank factor having bling kit only making cappuccino’s..
Sorry I disagree. I drink primarily milk based although close to 50/50 in a small 110ml cup I can clearly tell the difference between one of my better shots and an ordinary one, even on the exact same beans exact same equipment. I've had milk based coffee I consider undrinkable from a cafe that I have tipped out.

Don't get me wrong espresso is the acid test of whether it's a truly good shot and milk does tend to mask it but the difference between crap, good and great is still there albeit imho slightly muted.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes high end will pull amazing shots but add 200ml’s of milk to it and it will taste the same as a good shot from a standard single boiler and $300 grinder..
And then to agree with your point, I believe I there is strong dimishing returns for spending extra $ I think I'll pulled shots very close to as good with a smart grinder and old Sunbeam 6910 (or Breville Dual Boiler) as with the Compak and VBM.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
And then to agree with your point, I believe I there is strong dimishing returns for spending extra $ I think
Hopefully that kinda of attitude doesn’t translate over to your bikes !

I love an espresso at home, as I know my gear and beans (only buy three blends from two local roasters) but will only ever get milk based coffee from a coffee shop. The espresso is pretty hit and miss around town.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And then to agree with your point, I believe I there is strong dimishing returns for spending extra $ I think I'll pulled shots very close to as good with a smart grinder and old Sunbeam 6910 (or Breville Dual Boiler) as with the Compak and VBM.
Yep that was the point I was trying to get across. A shit shot still tastes bollocks with milk but a good shot tastes the same with milk whether your kit is $1500 or $5000..

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Who’s had success with the Aeropress?

I bought one for camping and have since taken it to work. Been trying different grinds, methods for an espresso shot and (microwaved) milk based cup. Certainly haven’t nailed it though.

I’d like to get the double espresso type brew down pat as it’s simple, quick and easy to clean up at work.

Any hot tips from burners on aeropress techniques?