COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Who is most at risk of a serious illness?

Some people who are infected may not get sick at all, some will get mild symptoms from which they will recover easily, and others may become very ill, very quickly. From previous experience with other coronaviruses, the people at most risk of serious infection are:

 people with compromised immune systems, such as people with cancer
 elderly people
 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
 very young children and babies, and
 people with diagnosed chronic medical conditions.

How is the virus treated? There is no specific treatment for coronaviruses. Antibiotics are not effective against viruses. Most of the symptoms can be treated with supportive medical care. Should I wear a face mask? You do not need to wear a mask if you are healthy.

While the use of masks can help to prevent transmission of disease from infected patients to others, masks are not currently recommended for use by healthy members of the public for the prevention of infections like coronavirus.

More information For the latest advice, information and resources, go to www.health.gov.au
Call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080. It operates 24 hours

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
...... the use of masks can help to prevent transmission of disease from infected patients to others, ....
Pretty important part and reflects the reason why we quarantine and lock impacted areas down - to stop the spread of the virus and contain the outbreak.

It's also important for those of us who have young kids and elderly parents and don't want to infect them.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Aren’t young kids pretty much impervious to y to the virus?
I've seen data to suggest that they have a very low mortality rate and the older you are the morbidity and mortality climbs. However, I've also seen qualified discussion that suggests there have been too few infants infected to build reliable data on morbidity/mortality.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
We are just slowly stocking up on the extra carbs, fibre and tinned veg we'd need for a few weeks break in supply lines.

Masks I'm not worried about since I just got another set of cartridges in from my supplier for our normal dust masks (those paper ones are shit) for timber and tractor work. Besides, we are out in the sticks...

Water we are good for. Finally.

Primary concern is for our parents and our old people since they are all in the target market for this exercise. The combination of age, chronic disease and don't give a fuck lifestyles mean that funerals are inevitable but this could hasten that and compress the hurt. We don't need that and neither do they...even if they don't realise it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm not advocating going "full prepper" but keeping a stock of food and water (and cash) is always a good idea. The fires and the coronovirus now make it a much better idea.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I threw a few extra cans of beans in the trolley and stocked up on toilet paper. We grow a lot of our own vegetables at home and have bulk rice and GF flour in the pantry. Like others, I'm more worried about any civil unrest that may follow a major outbreak. People go crazy at the shops when they are going to be closed for a day. Imagine if things go into lockdown
I have my hiking stove that can run on any liquid fuel you've got and always keep a jerry can full of diesel in case the price spikes and I get caught out.
We make our own dog food, but bought a bag as backup last week and it was a strange sight to see, empty shelves at the pet store.. makes me wonder where all the food actually comes from!

I'm not advocating going "full prepper" but keeping a stock of food and water (and cash) is always a good idea. The fires and the coronovirus now make it a much better idea.
I found that in the fires, no-one could buy anything because all communication was down. Cash is the way to go.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm not saying the Foster's Fever (that's the Aussie mutation) isn't serious.
Clearly this thing is infectious and can kill people.

But...fuck me, the media are beating it up. They can't run any story without calling it the DEADLY Carona Virus....

"SPREADING! LOCK DOWN! NEW CASES! DEADLY! SHUT DOWN!
EVERYONE IS BASICALLY DEAD FROM IT ALREADY! ARRRGHHHH!

After the last federal election I reduced my intake of non-mtb news, media & current affairs to an absolute minimum (close to zero)... and I am significantly happier since.

I'm not knocking anyone stocking up and prepping.... we all gotta do what we think is best. But at this stage I'm betting in a couple of months this will all be yesterday's news and the next big thing will be on the front page.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Beating up something that's incredibly newsworthy because its impacting peoples lives all across the planet?

Yeah, they should just give it a rest.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Ah, all information I have, which has also been on the box, was that the P2 masks are N95, which protects against aerosols. You have different information?
Better than I thought but still dependent on fit, no beards etc.

"P2 masks are generally used to reduce a person’s exposure to particles, gases or vapours in the air, such as paint or dust, according to suppliers of the masks. A P2/N95 mask removes 95% of all particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter. They can also reduce the wearer’s exposure to contagious airborne viruses, similar to the current coronavirus. The mask is only effective, however, if it is worn correctly so that it is properly fitted and airtight."

Eyes are still vulnerable.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Beating up something that's incredibly newsworthy because its impacting peoples lives all across the planet?

Yeah, they should just give it a rest.
They should absolutely give it a rest.
Cranking up the fear dial to eleven helps who??

I respect the previous posts containing the clear, concise, calm advice from the agencies that know what's going on (far smarter than me).
I have no respect for the gratuitous distortion of reality pedalled by the media....on any issue, not just this one.

Anyway, like I said, I sincerely respect individuals decisions to take it more seriously than me. I'm happy to be "naive" at this stage... and I accept that I may have to take it more seriously in the future.

HiFi... I'll buy you a 6 pack of beer, of your choice, if you can switch off your news feeds (all of them) for one month.... and honestly tell me you were less happy for 30 days. ...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I read a bunch of tweets by a well regarded virologist on the whole prepping thing. They said the best approach to a pandemic is to create slack in the system. By not scheduling elective surgery, using the a&e dept as your gp etc it gives the system enough space to absorb cases without fear and panic taking hold. Same goes with food supplies, buying a modest amount of non perishables over a few weeks is a sensible thing to do. Everyone panicking and clearing shelves out does great harm to public confidence. People having the basic pantry items stocked up before a pandemic arrives creates slack in the food supply system which can then better handle a run on. Food supply would then get back to normal far quicker..
It’s all a bit of old fashioned common sense really. The last thing we need is panic and the whole economy shits itself over a virus that could create as much harm from an over-reaction as it will catching it. It is a balancing act.. Imo buying some extra pasta now really isn’t being nutty, it’s probably sensible. As long as your not clearing the shelves out.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Better than I thought but still dependent on fit, no beards etc.

"P2 masks are generally used to reduce a person’s exposure to particles, gases or vapours in the air, such as paint or dust, according to suppliers of the masks. A P2/N95 mask removes 95% of all particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter. They can also reduce the wearer’s exposure to contagious airborne viruses, similar to the current coronavirus. The mask is only effective, however, if it is worn correctly so that it is properly fitted and airtight."

Eyes are still vulnerable.
What about a DH helmet with goggles?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
They should absolutely give it a rest.
Cranking up the fear dial to eleven helps who??

I respect the previous posts containing the clear, concise, calm advice from the agencies that know what's going on (far smarter than me).
I have no respect for the gratuitous distortion of reality pedalled by the media....on any issue, not just this one.

Anyway, like I said, I sincerely respect individuals decisions to take it more seriously than me. I'm happy to be "naive" at this stage... and I accept that I may have to take it more seriously in the future.

HiFi... I'll buy you a 6 pack of beer, of your choice, if you can switch off your news feeds (all of them) for one month.... and honestly tell me you were less happy for 30 days. ...
What news outlets are driving you mad?

I only subscribe to one news outlet - you can probably guess which one - and ignore all else.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm not saying the Foster's Fever (that's the Aussie mutation) isn't serious.
Clearly this thing is infectious and can kill people.

But...fuck me, the media are beating it up. They can't run any story without calling it the DEADLY Carona Virus....

"SPREADING! LOCK DOWN! NEW CASES! DEADLY! SHUT DOWN!
EVERYONE IS BASICALLY DEAD FROM IT ALREADY! ARRRGHHHH!

After the last federal election I reduced my intake of non-mtb news, media & current affairs to an absolute minimum (close to zero)... and I am significantly happier since.

I'm not knocking anyone stocking up and prepping.... we all gotta do what we think is best. But at this stage I'm betting in a couple of months this will all be yesterday's news and the next big thing will be on the front page.
Doesn't watch or read the news but complains about what's in it... Hello