Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Shimano spline is cut so the crank arm will only fit on in the correct position. This sets them apart from most other spline cranks. A spline with a small number of teeth (like truvativ holzfeller) is really obvious when you get it out of line, but a bmx style crank with a 48t spline can be a little testing.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Swapping a new M8120 caliper onto the front of the bike... Got everything connected, set up the bleed syringe and funnel, all good. Started trying to bleed up from the caliper, couldn't get fluid in. Hm. Odd. Double check the bleed nipple is open, try again. Still not. Confused. Recheck everything, make sure syringe is clear and funnel isn't blocked. Try again. NO!? WTF?

Oh. Funnel is on the wrong lever. :rolleyes:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Swapping a new M8120 caliper onto the front of the bike... Got everything connected, set up the bleed syringe and funnel, all good. Started trying to bleed up from the caliper, couldn't get fluid in. Hm. Odd. Double check the bleed nipple is open, try again. Still not. Confused. Recheck everything, make sure syringe is clear and funnel isn't blocked. Try again. NO!? WTF?

That is such a good feeling.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I wish I couldn’t relate. Most recently tried a rear bleed 15 minutes before a race start. Did the above, kept pushing harder on syringe...until it blew the hose off and sprayed oil all over both pads and rotor....
Who needs the rear brake anyway!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Isn't the shimano spline sort of symmetrical? Large spline at the bottom opposite large opening at the top?
I think they were once shipped like in the second image, 180° in the box, or i got some second hand that way?
There are two wider splines to align the left crank, but it means you can only put it on at 180 or 0 degrees, not anywhere in between. The little "safety" tab ain't going to help if you can't tell the two arm are pointing the same way....!

Anyway, as I said earlier, they made the two-piece design (not all are Hollowtech) for two or three years before some (probably American) ambulance-chasing lawyer made them add it.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
There are two wider splines to align the left crank, but it means you can only put it on at 180 or 0 degrees, not anywhere in between. The little "safety" tab ain't going to help if you can't tell the two arm are pointing the same way....!

Anyway, as I said earlier, they made the two-piece design (not all are Hollowtech) for two or three years before some (probably American) ambulance-chasing lawyer made them add it.
Hence the joke about f&@kwits!

On a serious note. Horrible crash at the Scott 24hr when a bloke lost a crank arm at full tilt on bitumen....that piece of plastic wouldn’t have saved him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Saw a friend who is an ace mechanic put a splined crank on at not 180 degrees and was riding it.
Prolly not Hollowtech cant remember .

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Saw a friend who is an ace mechanic put a splined crank on at not 180 degrees and was riding it.
Prolly not Hollowtech cant remember .
He may have been accounting for an asymmetry in his body? Or realigned for the power stroke? He is living in the future

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I spent a good hour or 2 yesterday giving my bike a thorough clean. Wheels off, chain, frame, pretty much every nut n Bolt. Bike came up mint. Took it for a test ride around the block and cut through a park. I noticed my tyres were still dirty so I brainlessly chose to ride it through some wet grass to clean them, good idea, the grass was soaked, mud and shit was thrown all over the bike and me. Got home and facepalmed that the bike was in much worse condition than before I cleaned it...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski

I wish I couldn’t relate. Most recently tried a rear bleed 15 minutes before a race start. Did the above, kept pushing harder on syringe...until it blew the hose off and sprayed oil all over both pads and rotor....

This is why I can't have brakes that use dot fluid. You swear MUCH louder when you spray dot fluid everywhere

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk