Confessions from the fuckwits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I count 10 cogs. Can't comment on 46T capability of the 10sp XT RD, but would suggest might be tough - my 42T works but isn't ideal.
Damn, I didn't realise this because it comes in 10sp so assumed it would work :( I have a 10-42 to try on before he buys anything else.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Use the right tools mate!

I've sliced myself using a very sharp knife trying to cut a zip tie on more than one occasion and i knew damn well to use side cutters.

The fuckwit that i am has had 3 stitches to the same thumb, twice, using the same knife, on zip ties both times.......
Using a cable cutter on cable ties is the go, IMO. Precisely because I could slip (if using a knife) with the cut, and stab myself in the hand, or worse lol

takai

Eats Squid
..eh? With something like a Problem Solvers kit you shouldn't need to - spaces either side out 5mm (with a spacer for 6 bolt rotors too). https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/booster_-_k5143

Unless you've got a 10mm spacer only on non-disc side?
10mm longer end cap:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate is converting to 1x, a 2014/15 Trek Slash 8 with XT. The derailleur is clashing with the new 46 (I think) tooth cassette. Can this problem be solved without a new derailleur?

View attachment 364581
That looks like a 786 XT. I have the same and run 11-42 but have a One Up Rad cage on it. The arm comes very close to the 42t sprocket but clears it.
Strangely, I tried the same setup on my old Yeti frame and the arm didn’t have enough clearance and the chain would touch that arm as I changed gears.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding along and was wondering if my fork was diving too much while braking. Started going down a fire road so leant forward to have a look while I tapped the front brake on lightly. Straight over the bars.
That reminds me a an incident I had as a kid.
My gears were playing up so was riding around my court watching the rear sprocket change gears.

Bam - straight into the back of my neighbours car!

slowmick

38-39"
Guilty. Head down, sprinting home, just on dark, late for dinner. Turned into my street through traffic and rode straight into the back of a parked car about a car length from the corner. Bang. Next thing I know i am lying next to the front wheel wrapped up in the bike. Driver was very shaken, apologetic and worried. Had stopped to check the Melways. The shifters on my racer ripped this inside leg of my jeans and my leg. Lucky they didn't get all the way up my leg to my nuts. Ahhh the 80s.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I managed a big face plant OTB into the boot lid of a FK Holden as a kid, no damage to the car it was solid as a brick.
Nice one. When I was a kid, I rode my 16"er into the back of VW Beetle. The front wheel got stuck under the rear bumper and my rear wheel went up endo style. I stuck my tongue out and split it in half on the engine cover/boot. I didn't tell my parents and any food with a bit of salt hurt like hell.

Riding style has improved marginally.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
That reminds me a an incident I had as a kid.
My gears were playing up so was riding around my court watching the rear sprocket change gears.

Bam - straight into the back of my neighbours car!
I broke my arm as a lad trying to check the time on my wrist watch whilst just starting out on a ride on the first day of the summer school holidays. As I lifted my left arm to bring my watch into view (thus making myself ride one handed) my right hand clenched the right grip that little bit harder to keep everything going where it should. Regrettably, that right hand was mostly resting on the brake lever and that was the end of that...front brake on, went straight OTB and into the road. Summer was cancelled...

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Wow I thought it was just me that rode into the back of a parked car.... same-ish story as you guys, punting along at 25ish, looked down cos shifting was funny, nek minute looked up wondering why I'd come to a sudden stop only to watch a boot lid introduce itself to my nose. Punched the front wheel into the gap between the bottom bracket shell and the chainrings. Oops.