AM Waltly Ti Hardtail

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Progress pics too please.
Okay, just one then...

I'll clean up the cables and take some better pics over the weekend. Wheelsize difference looks more pronounced in pics than in person. Frame is definitely stiffer than the previous one (intentionally), but build quality is just as good - so now it's just the long wait to ride it somewhere proper!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Okay, just one then...
View attachment 364804

I'll clean up the cables and take some better pics over the weekend. Wheelsize difference looks more pronounced in pics than in person. Frame is definitely stiffer than the previous one (intentionally), but build quality is just as good - so now it's just the long wait to ride it somewhere proper!
Damn that looks good. It looks a bit like the paradox are the geo numbers similar?

beeb

Damn that looks good. It looks a bit like the paradox are the geo numbers similar?
Quite similar overall, but there's subtle differences still. This has a bit less BB drop (to suit the 27.5" rear wheel), and it's actually 6mm shorter in reach (compared to the Paradox in size L) and has a 0.8deg steeper head angle. I had the primary focus on making it a corner carver, so leant the geo towards quick and flickable, rather than more enduro point and shoot confidence oriented. Either is fun obviously, but I wanted to keep it riding nice when doing seated pedalling stints also so made it more of an aggressive trail bike overall.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Quite similar overall, but there's subtle differences still. This has a bit less BB drop (to suit the 27.5" rear wheel), and it's actually 6mm shorter in reach (compared to the Paradox in size L) and has a 0.8deg steeper head angle. I had the primary focus on making it a corner carver, so leant the geo towards quick and flickable, rather than more enduro point and shoot confidence oriented. Either is fun obviously, but I wanted to keep it riding nice when doing seated pedalling stints also so made it more of an aggressive trail bike overall.
It sounds what I'm thinking of getting built. I'm currently on a 2013 Honzo and love it as a trail bike but need a bit more stand over height and more modern geo. Have based the design off the paradox which was suprisingly similar to the Honzo with the tall stack. Might have to go over the old posts and maybe pick your brain regarding how you got it stiffer than the last frame.

beeb

It sounds what I'm thinking of getting built. I'm currently on a 2013 Honzo and love it as a trail bike but need a bit more stand over height and more modern geo. Have based the design off the paradox which was suprisingly similar to the Honzo with the tall stack. Might have to go over the old posts and maybe pick your brain regarding how you got it stiffer than the last frame.
Quick answer - Different (more angular) profile downtube with thicker walled tube, and a larger diameter top tube. The back end feels quite a bit stiffer too which surprised me a little bit - I think it may be because the chainstays on this frame are more inline with the toptube, but currently the tyres are still pumped up pretty hard so it might not be as noticeable as it feels at the moment come trail time...

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheers Mr Crudley, it was definitely my favourite build so far. Pretty much everything was swapped from other bikes, so it was quick and easy!
Swapping and reusing parts where possible is on my to-do list also.

The Walty came up great and hop you have a chance to get it dirty soon. Cross those fingers sir :)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Different (more angular) profile downtube with thicker walled tube
How much thicker did you go? I went 1mm standard on the gravel bike and apparently that was pretty burly my local mec says. Next one might be a hardtail as well for me and I rekon slighly stiffer would work better for me too.

Nice bike though, they did the detailed tubes nicely.

beeb

How much thicker did you go? I went 1mm standard on the gravel bike and apparently that was pretty burly my local mec says. Next one might be a hardtail as well for me and I rekon slighly stiffer would work better for me too.

Nice bike though, they did the detailed tubes nicely.
My original frame was 0.9mm walled tube, this one is 1.1mm. I also choose a top tube 3mm bigger in diameter.

It was noticeably stiffer just riding it through my living room, but out on the trails will be the real test!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
My original frame was 0.9mm walled tube, this one is 1.1mm. I also choose a top tube 3mm bigger in diameter.

It was noticeably stiffer just riding it through my living room, but out on the trails will be the real test!
Goes to show how not stiff the old frame was!

beeb

Do you have a go-pro of the living room singletrack? That would be worth a watch :)
I don't know why I still do it tbh. One day I'll have to do a CFotFW saying I've torn the roller blind chain off and stuck a brake-rotor through the couch leather, lol.

Goes to show how not stiff the old frame was!
Indeed. I didn't mind the vertical flex (that was quite nice actually!), but the front end moving laterally was a bit eerie on rougher tracks. It still held a line okay, just felt slower to react to inputs so was less at home on rocky descents. This frame will obviously give more feedback, but hopefully I can overcome that with a little more confidence in line choice. Worst case, I'll order a spec between the two for a V3 if I get a gearbox mount one made in future! Hahaha! Effigear gearboxes tempt me so much! :p

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Looking good @beeb. Shame you can't get out, but if you want to send it down my way I'll hit up the Youies for you and give you a detailed ride report! :p

beeb

What are you doing with the old frame, more importantly what size are you again? :p
Haha, it's not going anywhere!* I will eventually build it up with a more XC build and keep it for days I just go for a spin by myself.

(*Quite literally not going anywhere at the moment, it's bolted to a trainer currently... :p)

beeb

Looking good @beeb. Shame you can't get out, but if you want to send it down my way I'll hit up the Youies for you and give you a detailed ride report! :p
Sorry mate, it's custom built for me so I'm not sure it would be able to handle riding at your pace! Once lockdown's over we should catch up and go for a ride again!