COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
clearly still not the time to be pottering about used car prices. decided to see what used brz/86's go for as a possible 2nd and fun car. cheapest in the state as 24K for a 7 year old 100K km car that was 40k to start with. MX5's have similarly doubled in price.

moorey

call me Mia
It still has the ‘not as bad as the flu’ ring to it that many spout.....and they’re talking about the modern flu strains, not the ‘Spanish’ flu.
Around 600-700k Americans died from the 1918 pandemic, and they got off pretty lightly compared to some countries. It’s not inconceivable that a similar number will die from covid, and that’s with the benefit of modern medicine, infection control and a pending vaccine.
The elephant in the room is that the US did fuck all about it...because partisan politics, stupidity, freedom and Murica.
At least as I see it.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
It still has the ‘not as bad as the flu’ ring to it that many spout.....and they’re talking about the modern flu strains, not the ‘Spanish’ flu.
Around 600-700k Americans died from the 1918 pandemic, and they got off pretty lightly compared to some countries. It’s not inconceivable that a similar number will die from covid, and that’s with the benefit of modern medicine, infection control and a pending vaccine.
The elephant in the room is that the US did fuck all about it...because partisan politics, stupidity, freedom and Murica.
At least as I see it.
dumb cunt as prez, dumb cunts who idolise the prez, fuck all health care, and when it is available - it's user pays to the point of bankruptcy. even for a frikken covid test.
Also dumb cunts (apart from the orange shitstain) spouting insane tinfoil hat bullshit on the inturdnetz.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It appears like we can go to SA

Only question is what we'll need to do to get back
i ducked over to SA, filled in the online permit, was fairly strict -needed addresses, on the way back into vic - not a thing at the border; surprising given Dan’s stance on most things

LPG

likes thicc birds
One has to be a little sceptical of the reported Covid death rates in the US when you consider that under the CARES Act which was unanimously passed through the Senate. Hospitals can receive ALOT of federal money.

Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act

"Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate.

Why?

Because if it's a straightforward pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for and if the patient is on Medicare – typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment to the hospital would be $5,000.

BUT if it's COVID-19 pneumonia, then it's $13,000, and

IF that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000."

Do the maths... It's mind boggling amounts of money.
Look at the restrictions implemented by countries who actually cared and compare that to America. Estimate the additional transmission rate due to the lack of restrictions and do the math. America had dug their hole and are currently filling it with the dead. What you copy and paste from your conservative Facebook pages doesn't change the facts.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
At least as I see it.
we‘ll likely not have another spanish flu episode, we have 100yrs of immunity and vaccinations behind us..was cuased by the h1n1 variation, of which i think we have had another one was late 2000’s, maybe 09
but yes spanish flu was much worse than sars-cov2, not in the same league..it killed many soldiers , young fit healthy guys, albeit some had been undernourished for a couple of yrs due to the war, spanish flu had no testing but estimates put worldwide infection rate somewhere between 25-35% of the population at the time
a couple of towns in the US midwest did avoid spanish flu altogether, they decided ona local scale to isolate, probably much easier back then

you have to remember world travel wasn’t anything like it is today, even cars/shopping malls/mixing of cultures was nothing like today - yet spanish flu still devastated

if, and it’s a big if but if we had a serious mutation of influenza, different to the yr’ly variation i would be isolating for close to 2 yrs, anyone who gets it could drop dead, sars-cov2 has not shown this, yes i know some young people have died, but they all have some underlying condition, havn’t seen evidence to the contrary