BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

nathanm

Eats Squid
Can someone enlighten me on the best, budget 3-4 bike, bike racks that mount to the towbar?

I picked up a second hand Buzzrack which was ok, but not quite wide enough for my Canyon. it's also just exploded it's proprietary conical clamp guts all over my driveway after I loosened it to far and was too aggressive removing it and I'm having trouble putting it back together?

It's for Jayne's HRV so gets used maybe once or twice a month for 2 bikes. Will be picking up a Ute later this year so not wanting to go to the expense of a Shingleback or similar.

Anyone use/d something like this?
3 Bike Carrier Rack Towbar Bike Rack Hitch Mount Bicycle Holder for Car SUV Truck - Kogan.com

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I picked up a second hand Buzzrack which was ok, but not quite wide enough for my Canyon. it's also just exploded it's proprietary conical clamp guts all over my driveway after I loosened it to far and was too aggressive removing it and I'm having trouble putting it back together?
Do you have a photo of this one? I think my rack might the same design.

The clamp will bust occasionally if the o-ring on the top of the conical clamp breaks. Should not be a big deal to fix it though and I've done mine a few times.

Added photo: Like one of this thingys?

moorey

call me Mia

The clamp will bust occasionally if the o-ring on the top of the conical clamp breaks. Should not be a big deal to fix it though and I've done mine a few times.
Sounds like just what I want carrying multiple expensive bikes :oops:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Living dangerously is much more rewarding. o_O

It won't drop off once it is clamped on. The tow ball gripper thing only gives way when it is off the towball.
There is a coach bolt also to hold it all nice 'n shut.

You can fix it with an o-ring or thickish rubber band.

moorey

call me Mia
Living dangerously is much more rewarding. o_O

It won't drop off once it is clamped on. The tow ball gripper thing only gives way when it is off the towball.
There is a coach bolt also to hold it all nice 'n shut.

You can fix it with an o-ring or thickish rubber band.
I used a tow ball gripper style once....once was enough.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I used a tow ball gripper style once....once was enough.
After one use, you put it back in the box and sent it back to the retailer. I admire your no messing around attitude.

I don't mind a towball mount at all. It takes all of 5 minutes to bolt on.
Much better than a clip on bike beak and roof racks are a PITA for loading bikes on and off.

moorey

call me Mia
After one use, you put it back in the box and sent it back to the retailer. I admire your no messing around attitude.

I don't mind a towball mount at all. It takes all of 5 minutes to bolt on.
Much better than a clip on bike beak and roof racks are a PITA for loading bikes on and off.
Different lifestyles and vehicle needs. I wouldn’t ever own a vehicle I couldn’t either use a hitch on, or chuck bikes in a tub or in back.
Naomi bought a ball mount platform style one years ago without consulting me (even though car had a hitch). I sold it very quickly, just couldn’t stomach it.
I realise I’m in a fortunate position for once.

nathanm

Eats Squid

Added photo: Like one of this thingys?

View attachment 373091
Yeah that's the one. Didn't realise it had an o-ring but makes sense now. cheers.
sounds like yet another thing you're "an expert" on but in reality know not a single fuck about? Or did I miss the time you got an engineering degree, was employed by a major brand, designed a bike rack after extensive research and development and then sold ten's of thousands of units of across the globe.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah that's the one. Didn't realise it had an o-ring but makes sense now. cheers.

sounds like yet another thing you're "an expert" on but in reality know not a single fuck about? Or did I miss the time you got an engineering degree, was employed by a major brand, designed a bike rack after extensive research and development and then sold ten's of thousands of units of across the globe.
Yep. Selling lots of items cheap on eBay guarantees quality and functionality.

It’s not rocket surgery like ordering a couple of pre made jerseys and labeling yourself a Managing Director, I guess. ;)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can someone enlighten me on the best, budget 3-4 bike, bike racks that mount to the towbar?

It's for Jayne's HRV so gets used maybe once or twice a month for 2 bikes. Will be picking up a Ute later this year so not wanting to go to the expense of a Shingleback or similar.

Anyone use/d something like this?
3 Bike Carrier Rack Towbar Bike Rack Hitch Mount Bicycle Holder for Car SUV Truck - Kogan.com
@Haakon rates the Cyclingdeal ones.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yep. Selling lots of items cheap on eBay guarantees quality and functionality.

It’s not rocket surgery like ordering a couple of pre made jerseys and labeling yourself a Managing Director, I guess. ;)
"pre-made" swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg and a MISS!
But if you'd like to try one for us then the offer is always there. I'll gladly send you one for free. Oh and ease up on the Facebook stalking you creeper.

moorey

call me Mia
"pre-made" swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg and a MISS!
But if you'd like to try one for us then the offer is always there. I'll gladly send you one for free. Oh and ease up on the Facebook stalking you creeper.
  1. Pass.
  2. No.
Not sure why you’re so triggered though. I was responding to Crudley about a personal experience with a similar rack. Naomi used it for about 6 month, it was a better quality one of the towball style bought through LBS, and she found it really problematic to use, particularly on our bumpy roads.
In hindsight, I probably should have consulted you and your engineering masters for a solution before giving up on it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Now, now....all bike racks matter.

If the bike makes it in one piece from point A to point B then it is a win.

I do remember seeing my bikes go airborne on a bike beak but thankfully nothing hits the ground. I recall a busted QR fork skewer from a roof rack and a dirt road.

Back to clamp thingy.

You can disassemble the clamp with a screwdriver on the top and another underneath. Removing the top screw will separate the key locked cap and the axle that holds the clamp on. The spring just provides a bit of downward push on the clamp.

Assemble the clamp and put in onto the axle

Get an o-ring or double over a thick elastic band and loop it around the recessed channel at the top of the 4 sections of the clamp. Put the spring back on to help hold it all together.

Put in back in reverse order.

All done.

nathanm

Eats Squid
  1. Pass.
  2. No.
Not sure why you’re so triggered though. I was responding to Crudley about a personal experience with a similar rack. Naomi used it for about 6 month, it was a better quality one of the towball style bought through LBS, and she found it really problematic to use, particularly on our bumpy roads.
In hindsight, I probably should have consulted you and your engineering masters for a solution before giving up on it.
Triggered, lol. Fucking buzz words for internet insults, reminds me of those blokes who rip off their shirts in street fights and yell "come at me bro"
Simple, I asked for advice on budget bike racks. Crudley kindly provided not only some helpful advice on my current rack but some pics to help me fix it. Oddjob had a suggestion. But you simply saw I'd posted something and decided to take a cheap-shot.

What you could have done is simply said which model you bought and urge me to stay clear of it.

However I did send Buzzrack a "Karen" email like you've suggested before and they've replied several times with technical drawings and a really helpful video to fix my rack up so they'll get all my money from now on, for some really bang on customer service.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Now, now....all bike racks matter.

If the bike makes it in one piece from point A to point B then it is a win.

I do remember seeing my bikes go airborne on a bike beak but thankfully nothing hits the ground. I recall a busted QR fork skewer from a roof rack and a dirt road.

Back to clamp thingy.

You can disassemble the clamp with a screwdriver on the top and another underneath. Removing the top screw will separate the key locked cap and the axle that holds the clamp on. The spring just provides a bit of downward push on the clamp.

Assemble the clamp and put in onto the axle

Get an o-ring or double over a thick elastic band and loop it around the recessed channel at the top of the 4 sections of the clamp. Put the spring back on to help hold it all together.

Put in back in reverse order.

All done.
cheers mate. I think my problem is I'm now missing the "top screw" to the "bottom screw" just pops off when I unscrew it too far. In coversation with buzz rack though about ordering missing bit, or just upgrading the bits as apparently they've had some revisons. Really appreciate the help and if you would like a free jersey :D