Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Don't forget how energy is currently generated and the threat of rolling blackouts recently. I don't think it's easily addressed. There's a larger issue to solve for.

First step imo shlould be to make rooftop solar compulsory for every dwelling before making evs compulsory
EVs dont add that much load to the system. Something like 10% extra capacity needed if we go to a 100% EV fleet.

Its all charged off peak.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
EVs dont add that much load to the system. Something like 10% extra capacity needed if we go to a 100% EV fleet.

Its all charged off peak.
Really? That's interesting!

So does everyone have to charge off peak for that to be true? Cos I mean petrol stations are pumping all day, so assume you'd have to have capacity for people to char3 any time of day

Haakon

Really? That's interesting!

So does everyone have to charge off peak for that to be true? Cos I mean petrol stations are pumping all day, so assume you'd have to have capacity for people to char3 any time of day
Thats the 10%, peak charging for the very very small percentage of peeps finding themselves caught short or on a long trip and needing to charge during the day. Vast majority of charging is done overnight at off peak rates. Or those who dont have access to night time charging/parking.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Thats the 10%, peak charging for the very very small percentage of peeps finding themselves caught short or on a long trip and needing to charge during the day. Vast majority of charging is done overnight at off peak rates. Or those who dont have access to night time charging/parking.
Mrs George's most repetitive question is along similar lines. Our boys are close to being independent, and being rural having a car each is practically unavoidable. How do we manage charging four cars at once? Really long cords is all we can come up with. We haven't really thought that hard about it. And as housing becomes (painfully slowly) more condensed, what do sub-divided blocks with no yards full of outer suburbs families with multiple vehicles do? Cord out to the street?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Figures ive been given is 10-15km of range off a normal socket per hour of charging for rwd Tesla. Triple that if you buy the wall charger. 8 hours off off peak per day and you could add shoulder rate hours if needed. Evwn if you went peak rate charging its still about 40% of what superchargers cost to use. So not ideal but possible

Might take some shuffling or more than one wall charger if everyone is doing big miles often

Last edited:

goobags

Likes Dirt
The 10% additional energy requirement is an estimate over a year and definitely on the low end of the scale.

EVs don’t need charging every night.

EVs lock cables to the car.

Leaving a car on a fast charger costs money even if it’s not charging.

Chargers can be installed outside and can also have relatively long cables. You don’t need a charger per car.

Putting in 20 x 50kW chargers in one spot (even if they’re wireless) still requires a significant investment. Can’t install 1MW for nothing considering a lot of current petrol stations wouldn’t be able to get that kind of supply without significant investment in the supply network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

The 10% additional energy requirement is an estimate over a year and definitely on the low end of the scale.

EVs don’t need charging every night.

EVs lock cables to the car.

Leaving a car on a fast charger costs money even if it’s not charging.

Chargers can be installed outside and can also have relatively long cables. You don’t need a charger per car.

Putting in 20 x 50kW chargers in one spot (even if they’re wireless) still requires a significant investment. Can’t install 1MW for nothing considering a lot of current petrol stations wouldn’t be able to get that kind of supply without significant investment in the supply network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its not 10% extra energy, it’s 10% extra capacity.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hence why my next sentence was "That's still roughly 3 hours driving on the freeway even after a few years of battery degredation." :p

Leafs are a bit of a false equivalence to most other EVs as they don't have any cooling system integrated into the pack. Anything decent EV with a cooled battery pack should give ~80-85% capacity after 5 years. On topic but on another tangent, I get the shits with all the EVs getting promoted by their 0-60 acceleration times. Constantly smashing out hard accelerations isn't going to do wonders for the life of the battery pack. They'd be better off restricting them a bit to favour battery longevity IMO. A 'slow' EV is still going to accelerate well compared to the average ICE vehicle.
I think the degradation in leaf's is a bit overblown due to the fact they are the oldest and some of the original chemistry wasn't great. My wife's 4+ year old leaf has almost 90% battery which is very common for the ZE1 and not miles out of whack compared to a Tesla.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually with Solar at least here in WA and I think most of the country the incentive will be to charge during daylihgt hours. New energy plans on offer here have the cheapest energy (8c/kWh - unheard of in WA domestically) from 9-3 when everyone's panels are pumping, secondary shoulder is overnight, peak obviously from 3-9pm. (50c/kWh)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Will we even exist in 13 years?
Good question.

People are talking a lot of sense.

Let's say we made all new houses have battery and solar. Made them all 7 star plus energy rated. Way more than enough extra power in new suburbs because big heating and cooling savings and lots of self contained power. This is why my EV project languishes, there's more bang for buck in the house as far as emissions savings.

The ebike commuting should take at least a third off our fuel bill for a small investment and a change of habit. But that's even harder to convince the average punter of than the switch to an electric car.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think the degradation in leaf's is a bit overblown due to the fact they are the oldest and some of the original chemistry wasn't great. My wife's 4+ year old leaf has almost 90% battery which is very common for the ZE1 and not miles out of whack compared to a Tesla.
Yep. I blame John Colonbogan's YouTube vids.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Let's say we made all new houses have battery and solar. Made them all 7 star plus energy rated. Way more than enough extra power in new suburbs because big heating and cooling savings
I'm living in a 7 star house now and I can't say it's different to a standard 6 star. My cooling and heating have always veen expensive to run despite the rating and energy efficient appliances. The way the home energy ratings are fudged around the standard 6 stars leads me to believe not all stars are equal.

Ie a water tank increases the rating, eaves, solar hot water over gas instantaneous etc increase ratings and do t do much for insulation of the home.

You'd have to go a lot higher, or simply mandate better R values as minimum standards for the insulation. The insulation change would be the most cost effective way to do it too.

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I'm living in a 7 star house now and I can't say it's different to a standard 6 star. My cooling and heating have always veen expensive to run despite the rating and energy efficient appliances. The way the home energy ratings are fudged around the standard 6 stars leads me to believe not all stars are equal.

Ie a water tank increases the rating, eaves, solar hot water over gas instantaneous etc increase ratings and do t do much for insulation of the home.

You'd have to go a lot higher, or simply mandate better R values as minimum standards for the insulation. The insulation change would be the most cost effective way to do it too.
The current star system is a crock. The amount of 7 star, esplanade homes here, with no eaves, a complete single glazed west wall, and an eleventy billion kw aircon is mindblowing.

Haakon

Freezing my arse off in a 1968 built 1 star at present... Have some blokes coming to quote on underfloor insulation as a start!