Recent content by Zoom

1. Z

Stans in a Crossmax wheel or not?

What's Mavics position on using sealants in their wheels? Will it void the warranty?
  2. Z

DIY Trail counter/ Lap counter

Two way counting. I'm guessing you could make a two way counter by having two of these next to each other and having a blocking signal between the two. You would need a small pulse generator, (maybe just a capacitor and resistor circuit or maybe a 555 Timer IC), which would block one from...
  3. Z

XT or XTR derailleur?

SRAM equipment works better because it has twice the cable movement of Shimano, so it's not as susceptible to problems caused by movement and stickiness in the cable. Secondly, bent dérailleur arms are a major cause of problems. This can be eliminated by going to carbon arms, which are stiffer...
  4. Z

The argument for singlespeed

What a silly remark. Horses as a form of transport have been around a lot longer than cars but you don't see many horses on the freeway do you? People forget why gears were put on bikes. It's for a much better energy transfer and it reduce damage to your knees. I don't see too many winners...
  5. Z

Cracking 29er Frames

No shock absorption. The problem is that 29ers are less likely to have full suspension so the forces they are exposed to are more extreme. Full suspension absorbs a lot of the blows that would otherwise go straight to the frame.
  6. Z

SRAM XX Cassette - Terrible Creaking Sound Under Load!

I remember this coming up on roadie forums. With more gears the chain and gears need to be made narrower, which means the area the gear grips onto the hub with is smaller, so the forces are high enough to press into the metal of the hub. You need to buy hubs made of harder metal, for example...
  7. Z

Custom maps for Garmin

Whatever you do, make sure you get a Garmin. Garmin are the only brand for which you can get good free maps. You can get OSM (Open Street Maps) for free from several sources but they'll only go onto a Garmin Mapping GPS. The Garmin GPS60CSx is a good value GPS. The Dakota 20 is also pretty good...
  8. Z

West is best

He's gone back to Heaven, (Western Australia).
  9. Z

What camera for MTB riding?

That's it! They are so cool. Can you do it with other cameras or is it an Olympus thing?
  10. Z

Thanks Alpha. I did look at that thread and there is far too much dross. Some of the cameras mentioned here already look good. What about those multiple shots you see in some pictures. Do you need a special camera for those?
  11. Z

Just got Mr Rudds cheque, so looking around $300 to $500. Thanks for reply.
  12. Z

I want to get a new camera but don't know what to get. Any recommendations and why?
  13. Z

Wholesale Supplier Stories/Experiences

I once bought a "Troy Lee" design Voodoo titanium frame from China. Was about $420 including freight. Even had the Troy Lee stickers on it. The same frame was selling for about $2000 in the US at the time.
  14. Z

bent seat rails

Chrome moly is not slightly better than cheap shit. It's about twice as strong and will maintain its strength under high temperatures which is why it's used as boiler tubing. Chrome moly is VERY strong. Bike parts made of normal steel are not the same as those made by chrome moly. If you're...
  15. Z

Lights?

Get a QuadBlaast. I've been using a iBlaast 2 from Nightlighting since they first came out and it has outshone my fellow riders and been totally reliable. But I'd been using it as a helmet light and so it was hard to pick holes and bumps in the road due to the lack of shadows. So I recently got...