Another day another collarbone

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Hi mate, I haven't got a copy of the xrays yet, but looked almost carbon copy of Haakons in the what did you do with your bikes thread as far as angle. Just the one clean break that I know of. Guess I'll find out when I see the ortho on Friday morning.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Mate, I going to sound like a broken record, as I've said all this before after our experiences with my wife breaking her collarbone. Her shoulder after breaking it was an inch lower and shorter and she was told it didn't need surgery. But we decided, thank god, to go for it anyway. After having a internal bone bolt put in by a fantastic surgeon, a week after breaking it, ( That's opposed to having a plate put in that you then potentially have to remove ) she's back on her mtb after 8 weeks. I've read poor Haakons horror story and other people's about how long it took to heal naturally, and even after healing they have dropped shoulders, etc. So I say not to fuck about. Make sure you see a good surgeon and not someone from the public system

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I broke my collar bone in 2 places so the little peice of bone was just floating around in there. Took about a month to heal, back on the bike in 2. I wasn't very careful with moving about, the pain will remind you when you are doing something wrong.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Of mine that haven't been plated around 3 weeks. As much as it sucks wear that sling as soon as you get up. I remember the first one I did I went to hard to soon and was back to square one at the 3 week mark. You will be surprised what you can still do once you get used to it. Another I removed the sling after 2 weeks cause I'd been really careful with it and thought it was ok. Same thing rebroke it and back to the start again. If there is major overlap or serious angle at brake I'd push for surgery. Both my shoulders play up this time of year. The moving feeling before they knit back together isn't a good feeling. The first time you brake one is also the worst pain wise I found. Think it's more the shock. Sad to say but every one after the first I've known exactly what I've done, made a make shift sling and walked or rode out. Last one I walked out, got someone to load my bike. Drove to my mates work as it was closed place to me, he unloaded my bike. I then drove myself to hospital.
Rest up as much as you can.

teK--

Eats Squid
Mate, I going to sound like a broken record, as I've said all this before after our experiences with my wife breaking her collarbone. Her shoulder after breaking it was an inch lower and shorter and she was told it didn't need surgery. But we decided, thank god, to go for it anyway. After having a internal bone bolt put in by a fantastic surgeon, a week after breaking it, ( That's opposed to having a plate put in that you then potentially have to remove ) she's back on her mtb after 8 weeks. I've read poor Haakons horror story and other people's about how long it took to heal naturally, and even after healing they have dropped shoulders, etc. So I say not to fuck about. Make sure you see a good surgeon and not someone from the public system
Yeah this.

Even once healed, a displaced bone will cause misalignment of muscles and can cause long term issues with posture and function.

That's why they say conservative healing is good if you don't have aspirations to be a professional sportsperson. What they don't often mention is if you are a fit active person and/or want to avoid arthritis etc and other issues when you get much older, you should also consider getting the bone fixed back in position.

A bit of a long read but I detailed my whole recovery process (with surgery) here: https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/fractured-collarbone.312904/

Haakon

Keeps on digging
At the quack to check on pneumonia - and putting up with a fucking painful collarbone until my lungs clear and hoping the ACT doesn’t go tits up with Covid before I manage to get into surgery.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
That's my biggest worry now, elective surgery is already on hold down here, good chance I'm not going to be able to do it even though it is my plan.
There may be ways around it. A mate of mine broke his collarbone back in April when we still had a hold on elective surgery over here and his surgeon had it classified as urgent/essential as he needed it for work and didn't consider that it would heal properly without surgery.

teK--

Eats Squid
That's my biggest worry now, elective surgery is already on hold down here, good chance I'm not going to be able to do it even though it is my plan.
Suggest see a good surgeon who can recommend you get it fixed rather than leave it conservative. The longer you leave it untreated the more difficult it becomes to get it fixed later once the bone has already started meshing. they basically have to re-break the bone in some cases.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Suggest see a good surgeon who can recommend you get it fixed rather than leave it conservative. The longer you leave it untreated the more difficult it becomes to get it fixed later once the bone has already started meshing. they basically have to re-break the bone in some cases.

Sawing the bone is quite different to breaking it...though the idea of an orthopaedic surgeon with a mallet and a blood wood is a good visual.