Eating less f*cking food

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
After a 4 day weekend where I didn't really do anything other than the usual, I hopped on the scales this morning and was surprised to see I'd dropped 1.5kg. Last week I kept away from the fridge at work for the most part and looked to drop portion sizes a bit, which was good.
Also drinking heaps of water, which is probably helping keep me fuller.

Rorschach

Hopped on the scales this morning and have dropped 3kg in the last few weeks, which I'm happy with as I haven't made the gym in the last couple of weeks with work stuff. Same strategy as before - staying away from the fridge at work, dropping portion sizes and drinking more water

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yesterday wasn't the most pristine conditions (huge weekend of powder and big crowds, followed by a cold night into a warm day woth no fresh snow to cover over the weekend traffic off piste) so I spent the morning ploughing as much of the powder remnants as I could before the su cooked them or the ski patrol busted me. I got moved on by a pair of ski patrollers around 1230 so had to leave my last little shadowy pocket or loose my pass. Anyway by then the rest of the hill was good and slushy (temp was well above zero) by then so I spent the next couple of hours slashing slush and tooling around. What does this have to do with eating less food? Well I didn't stop for lunch. Instead I dropped from the top chair down into town through a couple of patches of forest (bonus - unbelievably I found a few more pockets of top shelf powder on the way) to visit the ATM which is near a convenience store so I figured I'd just grab lunch there...

I are what I believe to be the most calorie dense food item known to man kind! It was a potato croquet (mashed potato crumbed and Deep fried) inside a doughnut (also deep fried) that was then crumbed and (you guessed it) deep fried! Holy shit! It actually hurt once it was inside me. The only was this could have gotten any better/worse would be if it had cheese and a sauce between the croquet and the doughnut.

Rorschach

I are what I believe to be the most calorie dense food item known to man kind! It was a potato croquet (mashed potato crumbed and Deep fried) inside a doughnut (also deep fried) that was then crumbed and (you guessed it) deep fried! Holy shit! It actually hurt once it was inside me. The only was this could have gotten any better/worse would be if it had cheese and a sauce between the croquet and the doughnut.
My arteries hurt just reading that

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I are what I believe to be the most calorie dense food item known to man kind!
Get yourself some of these:

As a nerdy teenage dare I challenged one of my mates to eat the entire contents of the tin, in one sitting, in less than half an hour. Put a decent stake on it to (think it was $50 or something that was probably my life's savings at the time - and I almost never bet for money).

He made about 1/3rd down pretty easily, but then started to struggle. By about half a can in, he was sweating heavily and nearly passed out. It transgressed from quite amusing to "Oh shit I think I might've accidentally killed my mate", but he was smart enough to stop eating and after sweating profusely for about the next three hours his body got itself under control again and he was okay.

I call bullshit on Aroy-D's energy rating on their nutritional label too, I think this Aeroplane brand one is probably closer to the money:

Get some!

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Get yourself some of these:

As a nerdy teenage dare I challenged one of my mates to eat the entire contents of the tin, in one sitting, in less than half an hour. Put a decent stake on it to (think it was $50 or something that was probably my life's savings at the time - and I almost never bet for money).

He made about 1/3rd down pretty easily, but then started to struggle. By about half a can in, he was sweating heavily and nearly passed out. It transgressed from quite amusing to "Oh shit I think I might've accidentally killed my mate", but he was smart enough to stop eating and after sweating profusely for about the next three hours his body got itself under control again and he was okay.

I call bullshit on Aroy-D's energy rating on their nutritional label too, I think this Aeroplane brand one is probably closer to the money:

Get some!
doesn't sound so bad if you call it "~1 cup of sugar" (270g), or 2.5L of Coke... (1-1.5hrs bike ride calories? + the 'betes..)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yesterday wasn't the most pristine conditions (huge weekend of powder and big crowds, followed by a cold night into a warm day woth no fresh snow to cover over the weekend traffic off piste) so I spent the morning ploughing as much of the powder remnants as I could before the su cooked them or the ski patrol busted me. I got moved on by a pair of ski patrollers around 1230 so had to leave my last little shadowy pocket or loose my pass. Anyway by then the rest of the hill was good and slushy (temp was well above zero) by then so I spent the next couple of hours slashing slush and tooling around. What does this have to do with eating less food? Well I didn't stop for lunch. Instead I dropped from the top chair down into town through a couple of patches of forest (bonus - unbelievably I found a few more pockets of top shelf powder on the way) to visit the ATM which is near a convenience store so I figured I'd just grab lunch there...

If it was Lawsons I hope you finished off with these for dessert.

1707898056587.png

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yamazaki, so a different brand of convenience. This one is pretty small. Dessert was a crepe and some gelato.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I'm inspired fellas.

I haven't been around these parts in a couple of years. I used to be a "train 5 days a week" kinda guy. Used to eat like it too, but I was 71kg and used to burn those calories training plus working a pretty demanding diesel mechanics job.

Fast forward to the start of 2022, I started a new role doing tech support for machinery importer. Going from being on my feet all day, lugging around heavy parts and fixing machines turned into working from home sitting in front of a computer. At first I thought "brillant, I'll be able to train even more effectively!". But how naive I was...

It turns out there is a fair bit of travel required with the new role. Dealer visits both here in Aus and NZ, putting on training in head offices of both countries, plus (and this is also a perk) training in Europe. But all this travel means it's near impossible to be consistent with training. Doubly, when traveling you are constantly living out of pubs and cafes for meals, which while nice, the calories per serve are crazy.

I write this literally by myself sitting in a restaurant, half way through a steak and veg, in Melbourne for another round of training. Oh, let's not forget the beer perched in front of me too.

Now I'd still been getting rides in, just not consistently and not what you'd call training either, just rides. I even turned to the devil and tried running since it's easy enough to pack shoes while traveling. It started slow, but now I can run 10km without blowing out my knees, but it's not what I'd call enjoyable, and I still find it hard to get consistency around it.

So here we are, with my bad eating habits, poor training routine and with a change to a sedentary job, I'm now sitting at 83kg. For those keeping count, that's about 11-12kg more than I weighed 2 years ago.

I was at the Otway Odyssey over the weekend supporting my wife. It's the first one I've missed in years. It's hard to describe the disappointment I had internally that I wasn't racing that day. All the missed training, the time away from family, the weight put on. It was a really good reminder to me that work isn't everything.

I honestly went home that night and wrote up a resignation letter. I haven't talked to my boss yet, and I'm still not 100% I want to take that step, but over the weekend it made so much sense to me to go back to a more normal 9-5. I'm just finishing up 4 weeks in a row of training here in Melb. That's 4 weeks living in a hotel during the week, 4 weeks away from family, 4 weeks of inconsistent training. I say after this week I'll be back at home and can focus again, but I know for a fact it won't be long until I'm in another state helping setup a machine or diagnose a particularly troublesome one.

But how about this, I'm committing myself to lose this extra weight and start training properly again.

Things I'll be focusing on
- eating smaller portions
- no snacks in between meals (a bit of fruit or veg if desperate)
- timing macros to suit my training (used to do this so hopefully fall back into it)
- beer only after a hard ride (makes it taste better)
- training consistency

The goal is to get back to mid 70s for now. I've decided to start doing some races again and just be content with being the slow guy for a while.

I just need to get back on the horse.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Well, I'm inspired fellas.

I haven't been around these parts in a couple of years. I used to be a "train 5 days a week" kinda guy. Used to eat like it too, but I was 71kg and used to burn those calories training plus working a pretty demanding diesel mechanics job.

Fast forward to the start of 2022, I started a new role doing tech support for machinery importer. Going from being on my feet all day, lugging around heavy parts and fixing machines turned into working from home sitting in front of a computer. At first I thought "brillant, I'll be able to train even more effectively!". But how naive I was...

It turns out there is a fair bit of travel required with the new role. Dealer visits both here in Aus and NZ, putting on training in head offices of both countries, plus (and this is also a perk) training in Europe. But all this travel means it's near impossible to be consistent with training. Doubly, when traveling you are constantly living out of pubs and cafes for meals, which while nice, the calories per serve are crazy.

I write this literally by myself sitting in a restaurant, half way through a steak and veg, in Melbourne for another round of training. Oh, let's not forget the beer perched in front of me too.

Now I'd still been getting rides in, just not consistently and not what you'd call training either, just rides. I even turned to the devil and tried running since it's easy enough to pack shoes while traveling. It started slow, but now I can run 10km without blowing out my knees, but it's not what I'd call enjoyable, and I still find it hard to get consistency around it.

So here we are, with my bad eating habits, poor training routine and with a change to a sedentary job, I'm now sitting at 83kg. For those keeping count, that's about 11-12kg more than I weighed 2 years ago.

I was at the Otway Odyssey over the weekend supporting my wife. It's the first one I've missed in years. It's hard to describe the disappointment I had internally that I wasn't racing that day. All the missed training, the time away from family, the weight put on. It was a really good reminder to me that work isn't everything.

I honestly went home that night and wrote up a resignation letter. I haven't talked to my boss yet, and I'm still not 100% I want to take that step, but over the weekend it made so much sense to me to go back to a more normal 9-5. I'm just finishing up 4 weeks in a row of training here in Melb. That's 4 weeks living in a hotel during the week, 4 weeks away from family, 4 weeks of inconsistent training. I say after this week I'll be back at home and can focus again, but I know for a fact it won't be long until I'm in another state helping setup a machine or diagnose a particularly troublesome one.

But how about this, I'm committing myself to lose this extra weight and start training properly again.

Things I'll be focusing on
- eating smaller portions
- no snacks in between meals (a bit of fruit or veg if desperate)
- timing macros to suit my training (used to do this so hopefully fall back into it)
- beer only after a hard ride (makes it taste better)
- training consistency

The goal is to get back to mid 70s for now. I've decided to start doing some races again and just be content with being the slow guy for a while.

I just need to get back on the horse.
Chad? Is that you? (If you still listen, you know ;) )

How do you get to your locations? I'm lucky(?) enough to drive everywhere so the bike goes on the back seat. It's not as effective as TrainerRoad, but it's still more than not taking the bike. And I really struggle with the pub meals too. I haven't gained as much as I thought I would, but I was still too heavy to start with.

Can you personally pay extra to take the bike? Waiting for the ferry back from Tassie I saw a Fulton Hogan ute with a bike rack and roadie hanging off its arse. He definitely paid more than standard fare to do that.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chad? Is that you? (If you still listen, you know ;) )

How do you get to your locations? I'm lucky(?) enough to drive everywhere so the bike goes on the back seat. It's not as effective as TrainerRoad, but it's still more than not taking the bike. And I really struggle with the pub meals too. I haven't gained as much as I thought I would, but I was still too heavy to start with.

Can you personally pay extra to take the bike? Waiting for the ferry back from Tassie I saw a Fulton Hogan ute with a bike rack and roadie hanging off its arse. He definitely paid more than standard fare to do that.
Yeah not Chad haha. I tapered off the TR podcast not long after his departure. Was starting to be the same recycled topics over and over again to be honest. Used to love when the 3 amigos decieded they were doing an event (whether it was a mtb stage race or a TT, didn't matter) and hearing their training choices and bike setups etc all lead into the event, was the best.

I've definitely taken the bike with me before. But most of my trips are to Melbourne (Altona/Williamstown). When I was more committed I bought the trainer along with me and lugged it and the bike up to the hotel room and trained a couple of nights in a row.

I could also probably pay extra to bring it along with me to Tassie or NZ. But in my experience I get very little free time outside work unless I take time off either side. I took a few days in NZ last year but if I wanted to do an extra week or something I'd have to fly the family across too I reckon. But the work ute is nice, its a dual cab now with an enclosed canopy that I can utilise for personal use. So the 3hr drive to the Otways and back didn't cost me any fuel, which is nice. Small perks you know!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah not Chad haha. I tapered off the TR podcast not long after his departure. Was starting to be the same recycled topics over and over again to be honest. Used to love when the 3 amigos decieded they were doing an event (whether it was a mtb stage race or a TT, didn't matter) and hearing their training choices and bike setups etc all lead into the event, was the best.

I've definitely taken the bike with me before. But most of my trips are to Melbourne (Altona/Williamstown). When I was more committed I bought the trainer along with me and lugged it and the bike up to the hotel room and trained a couple of nights in a row.

I could also probably pay extra to bring it along with me to Tassie or NZ. But in my experience I get very little free time outside work unless I take time off either side. I took a few days in NZ last year but if I wanted to do an extra week or something I'd have to fly the family across too I reckon. But the work ute is nice, its a dual cab now with an enclosed canopy that I can utilise for personal use. So the 3hr drive to the Otways and back didn't cost me any fuel, which is nice. Small perks you know!
I know! I definitely know!

I'm also fortunate that nearly all of my work is based on farm, so I can start early and therefore finish with enough sunlight for a ride and enough time to find dinner.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, its still early days but a positive 2 weeks since I got back on the horse.

The first week I was suffering for the old "sore ass" syndrome that I don't think I've had the displeasure of experiencing since I got back into cycling 10-12 years ago. Really reminded me how hard it can be for someone new to the sport to get that consistency going.

But two weeks in, and haven't missed a workout yet. Doing a mid-volume plan with TR and I am doing my Sunday endurance rides outdoors with my wife who is also doing a mid-volume plan. If I go on my MTB and shes on her gravel bike our watts end up being close enough in speed that we can ride together, win win!

2024-03-12 13_13_33-Calendar - TrainerRoad — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Now with weight and body fat I only started tracking that last week when I fired up MyFitnessPal for the first time in forever. So hard to see trends over only 7 days but overall its heading in the right direction. If I just eat normal food and don't snack I'm usually finishing off the day with a 500-600 calorie deficit.

On training days, because I'm measuring workload with power I get a pretty close number for calories burnt for that workout. So for intervals I will take on 100g of carbs (400 calories) on the bike then make up the difference afterwards with carbs/protein so that its balanced out with food and I maximize training adaptations. Cant be doing all that work and not getting the full effect! For the endurance days I only take Skratch hydration mix (which has a small amount of carbs) and make sure I do a big healthy meal afterwards.

That body fat graph is all telling. If I go back to 2019 it was hovering around 8-9%, now I'm at 23% with my weight up by roughly 10kg. A long road ahead.

2024-03-12 13_14_41-Garmin Connect — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

2024-03-12 13_14_54-Garmin Connect — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's such a balance hey! Not enough protein and your kind of doing the work for nothing because you don't get that super compensation. Not enough carbs and you're making it feel harder than it needs to be.

I'm trying to keep my protein intake around 1.6g per kg of body weight, and fat around 1g per kg of bodyweight and then make up the rest with carbs. For endurance athletes there's plenty of science out there that says more protein than that the gains are either minimal or non existent.

There's a good bit of science around fats now too. It's especially important for females but still important for men. Apparently under that 1g/kg number the brain starts to mess with things like hormone levels, in a bad way.

Carbs also has such a bad name for it these days thanks to modern diets but if you're doing the work, you need quality carbs off the bike to help to restore and keep topped up your muscle glycogen. On the bike we move to everyone's favourite simple carbs (dextrose/maltodexdrin) that the body can quickly digest and give us energy.