Eating less f*cking food

boyracer

Likes Dirt
If your worried about sugar, some of those museli bars etc have a huge heap of sugar in them, there are lots of 'bars' recipes online that have much less sugar and you just cut it into squares etc and seems to do okay in the fridge for when you get peckish.
In general i know i consume too much carbs and it's a contributing factor. I'm 5 fruit/ 2 veg rather than 2/ 5 most days and starches for days. As a chef i SHOULD be making my own everything. I have the skills/ lots of recipes, cook most nights and I make the all the kids lunchtime treats/food. I even used to bake 100's of individual muesli bars every year for one of the TDU teams BITD when i had my own restaurant. I used glucose in recipe back then as better for energy/ digestion. I've really noticed the meh/ CBF since turning 50.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Weigh in after 1 week: 102kg. That's -3kg in 7 days. Went with near-fasting for the first couple of days, then reduced and very cleaned up the diet for the remainder. Sounds like I've gone mental, but am actually feeling great - though admittedly the first two days were pretty tedious with continual hunger pangs, and on day three I felt like arse (I think low electrolytes or something) and was a bit fatigued - but from there out I've felt really good. Still hard to switch off the hunger around/after dinner, but am not noticing it much during the day. Hoping to get a couple of shortish rides in over the weekend, be interesting to see stamina/recovery feels after them.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I finally got some batteries to put in the scales - 103.9kg.

I'm doing ok not eating so much fucking food - I'm not going all out (I don't want to rebound with binge eating) - so I'm limiting myself to bread in only one meal, no pasta at night, and drinking water between bites. Also I'm stretching more and I do 10-15 hours of physical work as a part time job as I'm bored of working by myself.

The weather is still dogshit so no riding yet :(

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am about 2.5 weeks in and have lost about 4kg. I was at 94.8kg which is the heaviest I have ever been.

The first week and a half I kept normal main meals but just halved what I was eating, stopped snacking every 30 mins, and changed to flavoured soda water only. This last week wife's doing keto now so that makes it a lot easier. Low energy hunger pangs Thursday though.

My son cooked extra potato gems for me the other day at lunch which was super nice but I said I couldn't eat them. I then ate/savoured 4 and then took the plate away which is amazing self control for me. Tonight he didn't eat his meat pie crust (what kind of monster does that!) and I just walked past and saw it and picked it up about to take a bite then just settled for a smell of it lol.

For breakfast/morning tea I really like the following mixed together. It has the right amount of sweetness and texture for me:
- Half grated apple
- 2-3 spoons Greek yoghurt
- Small handful of crushed pecans
- About 15/20 Frozen blueberries
- cinnamon sprinkled
- Big spoonful of oats

Lunch/Arvo snack
- jerky, cashews, cheese, carrot

Dinner
- meat and greens

Once I start exercising properly again I will need carbs back though.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Conversely, I’ve been eating like shit all week. Hitting the fridge at any opportunity and having too much at meals.
I went to the gym on Monday, but that was about it.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
One key thing to remember during exercise, for weight loss, is that the body uses fat as its fuel source in zones 1 and 2 before switching to carbohydrate at zone 3 and above.

Find out what your maximum heart rate is, and try to do extended (1hour +) rides keeping your heart rate below 80% of your maximum.

Multiple studies also show conclusively that fueling your exercise sessions with easily digestible carbohydrates greatly increases weight loss.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One key thing to remember during exercise, for weight loss, is that the body uses fat as its fuel source in zones 1 and 2 before switching to carbohydrate at zone 3 and above.

Find out what your maximum heart rate is, and try to do extended (1hour +) rides keeping your heart rate below 80% of your maximum.

Multiple studies also show conclusively that fueling your exercise sessions with easily digestible carbohydrates greatly increases weight loss.
What are easily digestible carbs?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What are easily digestible carbs?
Sugar.

Maltodextrin from the home-brew shop is apparently the go to, for in the bidon. I take a teaspoon of cheap aldi jam every 15 minutes, when zwifting, and just mung on natural confectionery company snakes, when out on the mtb. Don't overdo it, but don't underdo it either.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sugar.

Maltodextrin from the home-brew shop is apparently the go to, for in the bidon. I take a teaspoon of cheap aldi jam every 15 minutes, when zwifting, and just mung on natural confectionery company snakes, when out on the mtb. Don't overdo it, but don't underdo it either.
100% this. If you want an easy way to experiment Coopers Home Brew Brewing Sugar & Brew Enhancer 1 & 2 are different blends of dextrose and maltodextrine and are available from Big W for about 10 bucks, in Vic and SA at least.

Dextrose is similar to table sugar, maltodextrin has all the energy benefits of sugar but isn't as sweet. You can use plain table sugar but it's pretty sickly and syrupy.

Gatorade/Powerade/Staminade are all just powdered forms of sugar with electrolytes and flavours, but you can mix it to your own strength. I'm coming at it from the performance perspective and adding maltodextrin to the staminade mix.

Don't stress about loading up sugar while you ride, your muscles run on simple sugars, glucose in particular. Plus, if you fuel your ride, you can ride longer and get the benefits of more exercise.

And the zone 1/2 thing is right, but it's more a sliding scale, not a switch. And you really need to ride long enough to put a bit of strain on your body, for some that's half an hour, for me is about 4. Then refill with clean food.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Thought I'd chime in on my experience.

Feb 2023 I was 102kg @ 193cm and wanted to challenge myself to shed as much body fat as I could. Reduced my caloric intake (deficit) to 1950 per day and I am down to 88kg at this point in time. Eating the most about of volume for minimal calories. Normally don't have my first meal until about 10am so I don't get hungry later in the day.
Macro split is approx. 150P 50F 225C. I have adapted well to eating less which takes a few weeks to adjust.

Now doing Fit4Racing training program for NZ MTB Rally so hope get down to 85kg-86kg by early March, with the last of BF the hardest to loose.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Started my effort to eat less f*cking food - heaviest I've been for a while at 118kg, ideally will get to 100kg some time this year.

Breakfast and lunch is pretty dialed, need to sort my nightly intake and stop having seconds (or a seconds inclusive firsts). Have tried 5:2 diet in the past and it works but hurts my riding too much and that then effects my mental health. Might have to intermittent fast to get over a couple of stalls that I'll inevitably see, but it'll be an exception. Putting it out here and tracking on the fridge to hopefully keep me focused.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm still limiting my food intake, but eating a bit more normally after my initial 6-ish day (semi-)fasting. Still eating much cleaner than the bad-snack habits I'd fallen into around the end of last year, so weight is still eeking off. Technically I've met my target of losing 5kg now (just a little earlier than expected...), but I'll still try to lose a few more over the coming months and then try to maintain that weight (thinking aiming for ~95-97kg ongoing, currently 100kg, down from 105kg).

Last edited: