Search results

1. J

MTB Shoes for wide feet

Hi, Firstly - happy to move the post if this is not in the appropriate area. I am desparate to find a MTB (SPD compatible) shoe for my foot. I have a neuroma tumour that any sort of 'squeeze' sends me to the moon in pain. I can cope with appropriate orthotics in the running shoe but so far...
  2. J

bottom brackets - pressfit 92mm

hi, Building up a Duelly and currently trying to track down a BB. I'm struggling to find anything OTHER then the shimano (whatever the model is) press-fit BB for a 92mm MTB. the thing is, the design is getting some bad reviews (according to some sites I'm looking at) that they crap-out after...
  3. J

bought a 29er frame - now what...

Hi, Firstly, not sure if there is a build section so if this is supposed to be else where, let me know. Now - what to do.. what to do. In terms of major components Fork - I've got that one pegged I think, 2012 Fox Talas 29 95/120 FIT Terralogic Wheels - I've no idea. DT, Shimano, Crank...
  4. J

MTB shoes - wide foot brands?

hi all, I've got a pair of specialized SG mtb sports shoes that I bought in 2009. they are getting on the nose a bit now.... not sure if I can somehow save them or not. anyhow.. they are a good fit, I do get a little bit of hot foot.. but I did love them for the heel cupping over previous...
  5. J

not another which bike thread! (roubaix SL2 v Pinarello FP2 v Trek 3.1)

Howdy all, Just wondering what peoples feed back in on the following models 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 2011 Specialized Robaix SL2 2010 Pinarello FP2 They are all 2500-3000 dollar range and I'm about to saddle up to test ride each bike. I'm looking for a comfortable, compliant bike to do some road...
  6. J

Specialized Epic v Specialized Stumpjumper

Hi All, Not sure if this needs to be in parts or here as they are both XC bikes. Mods, feel free to move if you wish. Well.. I'm confused.. a part from the obviously different rear shock location, what is the real differences between the bikes? Why would you choose one over the over? Why...
  7. J

Tour D Afrique

Hello, If anyone has completed any of this tour http://www.tourdafrique.com, can you please contact me. I am interested in doing a leg of it in 2010 with a few mates. Cheers
  8. J

XC Trails in and around Thredbo

Hi All, I've had a look at the usual places, (trailflix, blikely) and I can't see any details of XC rides So I'm asked the FARKIN people if they know of any, or if they know where they might be documented? Note ; I'm not looking for any DHing... :) I'm too ghey for that stuff!!! hhehe :D Justin
  9. J

Anyone know of bicycle donation organisations?

hi, I've got a old 8 year old hybrid that has seen around 5 km of riding (my ex wanted a bike, I bought it and then she gave up..) Anyhow.. I've seen somewhere that people take them, spruce them up and give them to needy kids, or to africa... I could ebay it, but i've had a fortunate run...
  10. J

Mont24hr vs Scot24hr

Hi, Had a quick search, couldn't see any clear postings on this. What is the difference between the two events? why would you ride one, and not the other? Looking to do a 24hr with some friends next year and we'll only pick the one event.. So... thoughts? Cheers Justin
  11. J

skins cycling gear

hi all, has anyone tried the range? I think it is a recent addition as I've not seen this stuff before? So comments welcome.. $260 for the bib shorts is a little hard to swallow, but if people rave about them as the runners at my work do... then it might be a good investment? cheers Justin
  12. J

Rear Derailleur cage length

Hi All, What benefit / disadvantage does the cage length make? TORPEDO7 has a sale on for XTR but the choice of a medium or long cage. My bike currently has an XT long cage... 2nd question ( I guess while I'm here) is the XTR a noticable step up from the XT? Thanks Justin p.s it is...
  13. J

Wheel building in Sydney - ?

Hi All, I've once again snapped a spoke. This is the 5th or 6th in 6 months of ownership. 3rd since the 25th Jan. The rim is a Alex TD24 and the spokes are DT Swiss champions 18mm (black). I'm thinking that I need to start again. The last LBS suggested that they had been over tightened at...
  14. J

Learning mtb skills - where to go/what to do

Hi all, I am very much a new beginner at this whole MTB thing. I've ridden manly dam half a dozen times and generally ride my hard tail 99% of the time to/from work. I'm getting frustrated with my lack of skill and confidence (amazing how a little 'off' will sap your ability)... often having...
  15. J

Just replace my disc pads - lever goes to the handle bar

G'day, I replaced my rear pads on my bike (shimano BR-M535) with some EBC greenstuff. I have 2 issues 1. I have pad drag 2. after two heavy applications of the rear brake.. the lever goes to the handlebar How I did it I tuned the bike upside down I left the old pads in and pushed the...
  16. J

Deore Br-535 brakes (and pads)

Hi All, Looks like I've worn out my rear pads (well.. one of the rear pads).. the other still has some life left in it.. What is the recommeded pad ? and where / website has a good range and reasonable price? Cheers Justin
  17. J

Road Tyres for a XC MTB

Hi ALL, Two questions here : Firstly - What tyre to people recommend to minimise rolling resistance, punchtures etc.. Secondly - Would you run slicks, or road tyres with some sort of grooves in it ? I can't really see a bike aqua-planing like a road car with bald tyres.. but I am...
  18. J

finding the right route

Hi all, I've been asked by a co-working in helping him workout a route from his home to work (cycling of course :) ) I'm not too sure as I'm not familiar with his area. * Hurstville Golf Course (Peakhurst) to Park st Sydney (City) So (a) does anyone have any recomendations on route...
  19. J

folding tyre vs wire

Hi, had a bit of a search, but couldn't really see what or why you would use a folding vs a wire when it comes to a tyre. I understanding folding is good i.e when going for a long ride and you want to take a spare. But I'm looking to replace my bikes tyres (Scott oxyd 2.0)...
  20. J

Adjusting clipless pedals / cleats?

Hi, THis may be a dumb question, but what is the theory / logic of adjusting pedals? I have a set of PD-505 pedals and a pair of shimano moutain bike shoes. my questions revolves around foot angle. At the moment, my feet both point 100% true north (assuming the front of the bike is true...