DH 2008 Iron Horse Sunday (Project Build)

heavyp

You heard it here first
I remember reading somewhere the DW himself thought that the RC4 could have been designed for the Sunday given how well they work together.
Does this mean Mr Sam Hill would of been even faster if he had an RC4 on the back ? I do love the idea of getting a vivid for the bike may have to do some more research.

caleb

Likes Bikes
rc4

If you were looking into getting a fox rc4, worth your while for the sunday. I have one on mine w/ bos linkage that has a wider space to make room for the shocks larger size. Either that or you could grind the Dw link too.

heavyp

You heard it here first
If you were looking into getting a fox rc4, worth your while for the sunday. I have one on mine w/ bos linkage that has a wider space to make room for the shocks larger size. Either that or you could grind the Dw link too.
Yeah I just bought one, just need to cut the lower link anyone else done this on there sundays ? just wanted to know the best way to go about it.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Yeah I just bought one, just need to cut the lower link anyone else done this on there sundays ? just wanted to know the best way to go about it.
I wouldn't trust my method but it's working so far. Mine is just a horse shoe now, ground the whole gusset out completely with a grinder.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Couple of photos of mine

And my Bos link for reference
Thanks for the pics, just received the rest of my NOS frame/pivot hardware so the 2 hex bolts, plus long lock pin and top shock pin, the pivots I got from peace cycles which are after market products.
IMG_3945.jpg

heavyp

You heard it here first
A few more editions for the build finally got a silver deemax rear wheel and also got my hand on a Fox DHX RC4 World champion edition number 114/200.

Ive heard the best shock for these bikes is the rc4 so in keeping with the era of the frame I decided to get a shock that was released from around the same time and what better way to go than to get something a little bit more bling that the norm.

IMG_4070.JPG
p5pb12607332.jpg

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Man they're amazing, worth it, you'll be surprised. I run mid low speed comp, little high speed and 80% bottom out so it ramps up hard. Deemax looks mad, great wheel set.

How you going with the link grinding?

heavyp

You heard it here first
Man they're amazing, worth it, you'll be surprised. I run mid low speed comp, little high speed and 80% bottom out so it ramps up hard. Deemax looks mad, great wheel set.

How you going with the link grinding?
Still yet to do it as i don't know the best approach I live i a studio unit in the city with zero tools i was just going to maybe find someone with a Mill and do it very cleanly

Last edited:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Shock arrived in the week, seems quite hard to compress and there was a little oil residue around the top adjuster not that this is a problem as she's going to get a full service and tune for the Sunday. Bike goes off for paint this week and i have just ordered a full bearing kit so hopefully get that done in the next couple of weeks.

_PC_1857.jpg
_PC_1855.jpg

will2

Likes Dirt
Looking pretty nice so far...
What does the world champion edition offer over the regular? Is it anything worthwhile?
I love having the bike bling that meant loads back in the day and being sooo cool because of it. That is the definition of my bike.

rtd

Likes Dirt
Watching this with interest - should be great once it's built, they're a very good downhill bike. I loved mine, but I had a medium and it was just too small for me. Think I would have kept it if it were a large. FYI they tend to develop a bit of play in the lower link, and that can be fixed with a bit of Loctite green around the lower link axles. I also added a k9 1*degree HA kit to slacken it out a tiny bit (available from Pushy), and that improved the bike in my opinion. A bit of clear hose over the deraileur cable helps to keep the chain off it, also a rear mud guard is an easy addition on the swing arm.

Anyway, here is a pic of what mine looked like, for some inspiration..

Cheers

heavyp

You heard it here first
Looking pretty nice so far...
What does the world champion edition offer over the regular? Is it anything worthwhile?
I love having the bike bling that meant loads back in the day and being sooo cool because of it. That is the definition of my bike.
No it others nothing different just a little bit of bling world champ colour decal and the etching on the bridge with its number.

The shock will be different thou after today as I took it into http://www.nsdynamics.com.au along with my DHX 3.0 that I am using as a donor shock to put a smaller shaft into the RC4 and a few other tweaks to the inside of the shock.

The bike also went it today to http://www.robertoscustompowder.com.au for paint Im just going gloss black pretty boring considering all the colours he has there on show.

IMG_4535.jpg

heavyp

You heard it here first
The boys from NSDynamics came to the party today and sent me these pics of my shock, Ill try pick it up tomorrow.

IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG
IMG_4601.JPG
IMG_4598.JPG

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Did you sort out decals? I still have the official Green set if you are going for that colour scheme.

heavyp

You heard it here first
Did you sort out decals? I still have the official Green set if you are going for that colour scheme.
Oh yeah sorry dude totally forgot to contact you again, I managed to get the original artwork so will be just making some newer model decals up hopefully.

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Oh yeah sorry dude totally forgot to contact you again, I managed to get the original artwork so will be just making some newer model decals up hopefully.
No problem, keen to see the finished result! Heres a few snaps of my resto on my 2007 model. Make sure you get progress pics, I was soo damn excited when I got it back from the Anodisers and forgot to take a pic of the frame before the rebuild.

Sunday frame .JPG
1 An old hope.JPG
2 Revenge of the soda.JPG
IMG_7929.jpg
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

Attachments

Last edited: