2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Do we have to run at the start? Just wondering if I should plan some run training in to my desperate week before training program...

Just don't go straining a calf muscle on a numpty 30min evening run a week before game day. Or we'll all get depressed.

BTW, has anyone ever tried modifying a MTB shoe sole for silly run starts?

For example, an inner-sole from an old pair of joggers could be cut up and used to build up the recessed areas on the MTB sole, stuck down with double-sided tape. That way it could be pulled off once you're moving on the bike. (And EVA foam weighs bugger all.)

Not that a few seconds' advantage would be that crucial. I'm thinking more that a frantic 5 minute run start in lumpy, unstable MTB shoes must carry a pretty high risk factor for injury, compared to any other part of the race.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I'm thinking more that a frantic 5 minute run start in lumpy, unstable MTB shoes must carry a pretty high risk factor for injury, compared to any other part of the race.
Experience says no; frantic Le Mans starts have been a feature of 24hr racing since the beginning and the run doesn't present a large number (if any) injuries.

If you cant run a section perhaps you should walk. :p

spikenet

Likes Dirt
any updates of the village map that will show amenities? I'm guessing with xx,000 people there will be miles of dunnies and showers?

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Just don't go straining a calf muscle on a numpty 30min evening run a week before game day. Or we'll all get depressed.

BTW, has anyone ever tried modifying a MTB shoe sole for silly run starts?

For example, an inner-sole from an old pair of joggers could be cut up and used to build up the recessed areas on the MTB sole, stuck down with double-sided tape. That way it could be pulled off once you're moving on the bike. (And EVA foam weighs bugger all.)

Not that a few seconds' advantage would be that crucial. I'm thinking more that a frantic 5 minute run start in lumpy, unstable MTB shoes must carry a pretty high risk factor for injury, compared to any other part of the race.
If the run is super long (is it really going to be that long anyway?), id rather have chuck on the old joggers and carry your bike shoes in your hands. You will make a huge gap and have have plenty of time to change and ride off while everyone is still running like a bunch of grandpas behind you.

m_g

Likes Dirt
Russ,

Do we get any special access to pit row/solo camp ground to unload our gear? Or do we do as in the Scott and lug everything from the campground?

Also, the latest WSC newsletter says that we need to contact CORC to reserve a camp spot. Is this the first mention of this or have I missed something? The corc website says camping will be allocated, no mention that we had to action it.

Thanks alot

mg

Last edited:

Raf

Likes Dirt
From my understanding of the parking situation and where pit row is, i woudl be surprised if you could drive up to the pit marquees. Some lugging may be required.

In regards to camping, I asked russ this and he advised it is first come first served. The 'camp areas' are reserved, i.e., solo area reseverved for solo riders, teams for teams etc, but withing that, you just find a spot and pitch your tent on Friday or Saturday.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes the last email did worry me a little

My understanding was that Solo Pit Row spots are allocated one per rider (no action required) and that a Solo camping area is available (either one per rider or first come first served, no action required)

I imagine Russ will be able to fill us in soon.

Another question I have is whether the solo camping area will be pass controlled?

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Two Way Traffic

Is anybody else concerned about the ramifications of having "two way traffic" in a couple of points of the track??
For example, the crit track, the teams going the other direction.
All great for seeing other riders etc, till night time comes and everybody looks at you with their super bright helmet lights on!!!:mad:

Raf

Likes Dirt
Hopefully all those who know the correct answer to this are out on the track shoveling road base onto Pork Barrel, so I will havea crack.

The crit track section I beleive has or is being reworked so both are going in the same direction.

The Worlds cross over, atop stromlo, is at the highest point and there wont be too many people flying through at top speed. But I read on here that they are looking at what to do, i.e., bridge / roundabout etc.

Someone is thinking about it as we speak.

Raf

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Is anybody else concerned about the ramifications of having "two way traffic" in a couple of points of the track??
For example, the crit track, the teams going the other direction.
All great for seeing other riders etc, till night time comes and everybody looks at you with their super bright helmet lights on!!!:mad:
The crit track one was clarified in an earlier post with an, oops that's wrong the teams will be goin the same direction through the transition area, just drew it up wrong.
The other one up the top of the hill, what looks like a T intersection I think that was to be confrimed how that's gonna work, maybe put a bridge over it or something.
That was the last I'd read anyway.

edit. beat me to it Raf.
Is Pork Barrell really messed up at the moment? I didn't think it was that bad last year.

Last edited:

Raf

Likes Dirt
I have ridden Pork Barrel regularly for 3 years now, through good and bad, and the middle section is the worst I have ever seen it. There hasnt been a shovel of dirt on it since the Scott 24 last year, where it was tidied up nicely for the 'day lap'. Even then, sense prevailed and it was not part of the night lap. It is now a 200 meter rock garden.

I understand I should toughen up and take a spoon of cement etc etc, so ok, I accept what I say is just winging......but by the 3rd lap through that in training on Tuesday, on dusk, I was hangin on for dear life.

By 3am?.....they will need more ambulances is all Im saying.

I decided to buy a second set of lights to enhance the depth of field after that ride. A helmet mounted light does nothing through there except hide the traps.

I will slink away now. Apologies for being a sissy.

Raf