VIC 2012 INTERwinter Series . 4 races, 4 clubs. May 13, June 3rd, July 8th and August 8th

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Congrats mate on the win in B grade, time to step up and run bulls!

Enjoy the wine tonight while watching the tour!

Quiggs
cheers mate - felt good during the race, but wow the legs feel pretty tired now!
Some wine will be consumed tonight I think :)

serowe

Likes Dirt
Just before the dog scome out barking and fighting :) ....

Results most likely will NOT be posted tonight. Those that were there knows Tim is as crook as a dog and came home straight to bed (I did ask if he wanted to drive back :) Mean, ain;t I??)

Yes, there were some issues BUT to clear things up. ALL transponders crossings were recorded and we have them here for anal;ysis/replay. The issue was with me - It's been a while since I used the system Tim set up and stuffed something up right at the start. This meant that I was like a chook without a head for the first 5 minutes or so of bikes passing us trying to figure out what was (or wasn't) happening. When I did get it figured out, I had about 2/3rds of the field in the system showing by transponder numbers instead of your plate numbers. Not a big problem except everyone had to be verified, corrected, and then DURT had to recalculate the result for each bike.

At this stage there are only 3 unknown transponder crossing I can't identify (not sure if they were spurious or, as some people did, they brought their own and I didn;t register it properly - sorry guys :) )

Our biggest problem, though, is that DURT is currently refusing to calculate times/results for 2 bike (765 and 789). We have deleted the records, re-keyed them and the last straw will be to generate new timing data for them identical to the originals. For whatever reason, DURT keeps insisting that 765 is part of 789 when we look at 789's time's, and 765 doesn't exist for one lap when we look at 765's times. These 2 aren't podium finishers, but they need to be correct for points etc.

I'll do what I can tonight to correct the results but it is unlikely Tim will be posting them before tomorrow - not a good situation but, as I said, blame me and not Tim.

To reiterate - the electronic component of the timing worked 100% for every single bike, old age, finger trouble, early balding and possible even flatul... errr cold, sunny weather was to blame for the rest!

Again - apologies - and we have, again, learned something new (and different from all other meetings) today.

sikaz

Squid
No apology needed, big thanks to you and the crew for an awesome day :)

Just before the dog scome out barking and fighting :) ....

Results most likely will NOT be posted tonight. Those that were there knows Tim is as crook as a dog and came home straight to bed (I did ask if he wanted to drive back :) Mean, ain;t I??)

Yes, there were some issues BUT to clear things up. ALL transponders crossings were recorded and we have them here for anal;ysis/replay. The issue was with me - It's been a while since I used the system Tim set up and stuffed something up right at the start. This meant that I was like a chook without a head for the first 5 minutes or so of bikes passing us trying to figure out what was (or wasn't) happening. When I did get it figured out, I had about 2/3rds of the field in the system showing by transponder numbers instead of your plate numbers. Not a big problem except everyone had to be verified, corrected, and then DURT had to recalculate the result for each bike.

At this stage there are only 3 unknown transponder crossing I can't identify (not sure if they were spurious or, as some people did, they brought their own and I didn;t register it properly - sorry guys :) )

Our biggest problem, though, is that DURT is currently refusing to calculate times/results for 2 bike (765 and 789). We have deleted the records, re-keyed them and the last straw will be to generate new timing data for them identical to the originals. For whatever reason, DURT keeps insisting that 765 is part of 789 when we look at 789's time's, and 765 doesn't exist for one lap when we look at 765's times. These 2 aren't podium finishers, but they need to be correct for points etc.

I'll do what I can tonight to correct the results but it is unlikely Tim will be posting them before tomorrow - not a good situation but, as I said, blame me and not Tim.

To reiterate - the electronic component of the timing worked 100% for every single bike, old age, finger trouble, early balding and possible even flatul... errr cold, sunny weather was to blame for the rest!

Again - apologies - and we have, again, learned something new (and different from all other meetings) today.

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Today was my 1st race other than GMBC club events for many years, top job done by all the organisers, great tracks.

Thanks for a great race, anyone who cant wait a day or so for the results to be posted might be taking it all a bit too seriously.

Congrats to all involved today.

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
I'm just going to summarise tomorrow with a simple photo:
This photo was false advertising! This was the only smooth part of the track! ;) Seriously 3.5 hours strapped to a jackhammer. That track was rough! Would have been nice if the finish wasn't deserted when the lasts A graders came through but hey I guess I just have to go faster I suppose. 2 laps was ok 3 was ow town. Hard tails defiantly were at a disadvantage. I also saw a lot more equipment failure on this course than any other. It was interesting seeing guys used to smashing out at the smooth You Yangs trails try and deal with the terrain. Great challenging riding. Props to Ben and co for trying (unsuccessfully) to race on their Cyclo cross bikes. They were the bravest of any on the track.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
This photo was false advertising! This was the only smooth part of the track! ;) Seriously 3.5 hours strapped to a jackhammer. That track was rough! Would have been nice if the finish wasn't deserted when the lasts A graders came through but hey I guess I just have to go faster I suppose. 2 laps was ok 3 was ow town. Hard tails defiantly were at a disadvantage. I also saw a lot more equipment failure on this course than any other. It was interesting seeing guys used to smashing out at the smooth You Yangs trails try and deal with the terrain.
The variety is great - would be incredibly boring if every track was the same :)
It was a real mountain biking track this one!

drfuentes

Likes Dirt
The variety is great - would be incredibly boring if every track was the same :)
It was a real mountain biking track this one!
Again this series has excelled with a great day out. Was there a race? I just went out and had an awesome ride on a bunch of tracks I had never ridden before. I even saw the ranger out there and he looked happy.

Putting myself up a grade was an error as I too had no idea just how hard three laps would have been.

Two plus laps and I was all smiles, so decided to call it a day. That third lap would have gone all WRONG.

Thanks to the FGP crew.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the positive feedback. We had a great time today and we're really glad everyone who raced did too.

We were concerned about holding presentations before the final riders had finished but we were also concerned about finished riders leaving before presentations. We wanted to start C grade later but because I had to change the bunting/arrows on the firetrail after C grade had gone past on their prologue and before A grade started their first full lap we couldn't leave it any longer than we did. Then we were restricted by the format of prologue + 3 laps / 2 laps / 1 lap and there was no option to prevent the majority of C grade riders finishing almost 2 hours earlier than the majority of A grade riders. So in order to have the maximum number of people at presentations we held them when we did and we think we got the compromise about as good as possible given the format restrictions.

One of the things already discussed at the pub this evening was how to have all riders finish within an hour of each other for next time. There are a few options but at this early stage I think it best if we keep them to ourselves.

Please keep the feedback coming through, this was our first event and we're keen to know how people feel about it.

Cheers,
Stu

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
One of the things already discussed at the pub this evening was how to have all riders finish within an hour of each other for next time. There are a few options but at this early stage I think it best if we keep them to ourselves.

Please keep the feedback coming through, this was our first event and we're keen to know how people feel about it.

Cheers,
Stu
hey Stu, the idea of all grades finishing closer to each other sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be how to execute that without having too many log jams of riders particularly towards the end of the race.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
My only concern would be how to execute that without having too many log jams of riders particularly towards the end of the race.
Exactly, that and about a dozen other negative factors that appear with each possible solution.

moorey

call me Mia
As has been said, awesome track. Loved the rocks and flowing single track. My malfunctioning chain guide didn't like it however, so I spent a lot of time off the side, unjamming chains, but still loved it. Rode last lap in my couple of biggest gears to keep it on, and the legs were barely up to the task.

Timberly, you joked about me running a 11-26 cassette on my 1x9...I think 24 was the lowest gear I could run. You'll pay for that clear and blatant case of sabotage...or voodoo, I haven't worked out which it was yet.

Re: presentations, I wooda hated finishing off A grade and catching only the end or missing out completely, but I appreciated them getting on with it. I was only finished 15 before they started (B grader). Sometimes pays to be a little slow I guess.

Track was definitely punishing people.....as an Mtb track should. Having a longer travel bike spared me the worst of it, but still pummeled me well. That's gotta be a record for flats. I saw at least 20-30 tyre changes in progress.

Well done organizers and volunteers. Top event, even if I forgot to give Timberly am atomic wedgie as a first meeting.

Oh, and did I miss it, or was there no coffee van there at registration? Fark I cooda used one.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Oh, and did I miss it, or was there no coffee van there at registration? Fark I cooda used one.
The coffee van was booked, the coffee van didn't show up. It's not a van we've used before and it's certainly not a van we'll use again. If I knew the name, I would name and shame but the booking was handled by another member of the committee.

I was counting on the not-racing factor as an event organiser to allow me to indulge in several coffees throughout the day so I was well pissed when I got back from pre-riding the prologue this morning to find it hadn't turned up.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yep, definitely a real mountain bikers track. Unfortunately I am not a real mountainbiker. Track 1, me 0. Like the good Dr Fuentes, I entered a grade above my station to get some more time on the trails, but 2 laps was more than enough.

Great event, great trails, well done.

Post the name of the coffee bums who didn't show up, and I shall lead the posse to hunt them down and explain to them the importance of coffee to cyclists using well reasoned arguments, pursuasive speaking and a f#4king chainsaw. That is just unforgiveable.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Oh and Tim, sending the women off with B grade worked perfectly! Not many C graders caught us and I found the B graders a lovely bunch to ride with :) they don't seem as worried to have a girl passing them either....C grade gets a bit manic sometimes.

moorey

call me Mia
B graders a lovely bunch to ride with :) they don't seem as worried to have a girl passing them either.
not me....I wooda chucked a stuck in your spokes if I'd been quick enough.
The only time I let women pass me is in the cleaning product aisle in Safeway :rant:

Putting myself up a grade was an error as I too had no idea just how hard three laps would have been.

Two plus laps and I was all smiles, so decided to call it a day. That third lap would have gone all WRONG.

Thanks to the FGP crew.
+ 1, though with a few less smiles.

My bike and body were suffering after two laps. Dual suspension was a good thing until it started to stiffen up and squeak like mad.... off to the LBS...

Agree with what the others have already said - this was a proper challenging XC MTB track - great work to the organisers in another great interwinter series race.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
this was a proper challenging XC MTB track - great work to the organisers in another great interwinter series race.
Didn't experience any "dickheads" on the track yesterday which was great. People were happy to allow others to overtake and those doing the overtaking waited for the track to widen. Plenty of smiles and "have a good ride" comments :)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

I rode the track last month (thanks to Quiggs, Cam and Stu for showing me around!) and after it I wrote:

I can confirm it is a physically demanding kind of track - rocky, with a number of climbs - it really reminded me of Jubbaland. I don't think the profile alone explains what a tiring course this will be. I hadn't ridden Redesdale before until the weekend. Kudos to anyone who did the Redesdale 24hour as a solo - I know I couldn't ride this course for that long! I reckon you'll be pretty tired when you cross that finish line ;-)

I had entered B Grade and at the time, I remember thinking "how the hell am I going to be able to ride 2 laps of this course". After yesterday, am very glad I did :)