VIC 2012 INTERwinter Series . 4 races, 4 clubs. May 13, June 3rd, July 8th and August 8th

gadget1

Likes Dirt
The tone of this thread has become really disappointing.
Can we move on now please (I'm being as polite as I can)...

Great series. Great racing. Really enjoy the vibe of the club racing thing. And its great that our entry fees go to supporting
our clubs and our trails rather into an individual's pocket.

And by supporting our local Parks and local businesses and the people who build trails we hopefully get to open up more riding areas over time...

Mmmm, fresh trail :)

Really enjoyed the 2 events i managed to make it to this year.

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
I guess you must feel like a real knob now...
Thanks fella.

I'm entitled to an opinion as is everyone, and its just that, an opinion.

On the original topic, if the reason for the rules are to ensure that volunteers are not penalised, then thats cool and well done to all of those who volunteered during the series. All volunteers deserve full credit for the help and support they provide to make races possible and choosing to only count three of the four rounds is one way of doing it as is giving volunteers full points for a round.... Having never raced in an MTB series, only in Motorcycle Race series, I went by my experience. I didnt read the rules, and the rules don't go into the detail of why etc anyhow....so you wouldn't have known that as the reason if you're new to the series!

But on the whole, the series was great with the youies round being particularly good! Well done to all involved.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
Why are people calling each other names after an awesome Inter Winter series that bought so many awesome people together? Take that garbage somewhere else.

Of course everyone is intitled to their opinion. This is a forum. But respect the views of others and the fact that decisions have been made way before this thread was raised. The rules are in the interests of the majority and the four trail areas have been built to enjoy the thing we love the most.

Before starting any activity, it's wise to understand the rules and guidelines. Like Marty stated, the "Drop a Round" concept is to allow Vollies to race. Plus, people get sick, have babies, have jobs etc. We are glad that you raced all of the rounds, but some of us physically can't. Go easy on each other and enjoy the series.

I hope that you all learned something from this year. Where you can improve, where you went well, what you enjoyed, who beat you, who you beat, the people you met, the people you didn't meet and spoke to them through this forum. I thought the 2012 Inter Winter was a really cool thing. To see a club hugging and shaking hands after the event was an amazing sight. I would like to hear what people saw as a challenge and want to improve on before the next race.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I loved the whole series :) was bummed to miss the Youies round. Second year I've had to miss it! :(
I think one thing that might be worth thinking about before next year is what to do with the people who don't come to the grading round. Everyone who comes to round one gets graded and then has to race in that grade. After that, anyone who comes to other rounds but was not seeded just gets to choose which grade they want to enter. Doesn't seem fair to those that have to race where they were put. It's a hard one to come up with a solution for though.
The other thing to think about is the women's grade. Is it an open women's grade? Or is it really C grade women. Should sponsored women be riding in the women's grade? Or should they be in B grade? For me personally I feel I am more competitive against c grade men than sponsored women, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to be racing in a special grade with them.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I made it to all 4 races and came away with a different emotion and result from each round!
It was a roller coaster ride, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The aim for me was to ride new places (3 out of the 4 rounds), whilst seeing where I am at amongst the wider mtb community. I got all this and more!

I'm already thinking about this series next year and hope everyone gets back on board.
The volunteers, club members, riders and medical staff need a huge pat on the back.
I've managed to convince some new riders to come along and try their hand at racing, of which all will be back for more.
The feedback was always about friendliness, relaxed atmosphere and fun.
Everything else is a little petty to me.

I went to four rounds because I wanted four races, I get smashed by sponsored riders, I didn't place at a single round. Did that ruin my racing experience? Not one bit.

I'll be back in 2013, as will my newly converted mtb friends.

Thanks to all involved!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The other thing to think about is the women's grade. Is it an open women's grade? Or is it really C grade women. Should sponsored women be riding in the women's grade? Or should they be in B grade? For me personally I feel I am more competitive against c grade men than sponsored women, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to be racing in a special grade with them.
I know Josie could have entered the womens grade but elected to enter B grade for round 3 because she was after a longer ride. Same for round 4 plus she wanted to ride boulder in the TT.
She knew she wasn't going to podium in B grade (although she did chick quite a few guys which was good to see :))but she didn't care, she LOVED the series (as did I). fantastically run, with a great variety of racing.

re: if the womens grade should be open to all women or non-sponsored women only, if you are a woman then I guess you can enter. Are there enough women to have separate categories? Based on this years numbers I would doubt it. Of course nothing stopping any girl from entering A, B or C grade, which is what a few of them did (Mel, Jo Wall, Jo Riley, Josie).

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I think one thing that might be worth thinking about before next year is what to do with the people who don't come to the grading round. Everyone who comes to round one gets graded and then has to race in that grade. After that, anyone who comes to other rounds but was not seeded just gets to choose which grade they want to enter. Doesn't seem fair to those that have to race where they were put. It's a hard one to come up with a solution for though.
I think the only issue there is not everyone would be able to commit to that first round due to whatever reason. I think most people grade themselves pretty well.

serowe

Likes Dirt
I think the only issue there is not everyone would be able to commit to that first round due to whatever reason. I think most people grade themselves pretty well.
The solution for this is that anyone who doesn't enter in R1 has the grade they entered next (R2 or R3) as their grading round. Puts a bit more pressure on the organisers but at least then with the best 3 of 4 coming into play you can't get someone missing the grading round and then sandbagging into a lower grade from R2.

Obviously some wouldn;t be happy with this but again, hey! They aren't sheep stations at play here and everyone would prefer to play on an even playing field.

The other option - grade become (wait for the moans :) ) A, B, C, Female and Sponsored. After all - this IS a club event not the Nationals.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Does any club level racing really need to have a grading round?? I truly believe the vast majority of people enter in the grade they belong in, in the instances of someone never having raced in a graded format before, most will have a general idea of where they likely belong by comparing their abilities to those that they recreationally ride with on social outings. I can't think of the last time I looked at a races results and thought they really should racing in a higher grade than the one they competed in. On the flip side you look at the bottom end of the result spread and the last 10-20% would be better suited in a lower grade, but we as a community don't seem to be making an talking issue about those riders riding in a lower grade? I don't know of anyone throughout the MTB community that races in a grade lower than they should with the prime intention to win prizes/money.

I think in the grand scheme of things most people correctly race in the category that their abilities dictate or in a grade above! If we label everyone that wins at a level below A grade or Elite as a sandbagger, no one would ever win... I also think just because you win in B grade or below that doesn't automatically mean you should elevate to a higher grade in future races.

just my 2 cents

Quiggs

riderideride

Likes Dirt
re: if the womens grade should be open to all women or non-sponsored women only, if you are a woman then I guess you can enter. Are there enough women to have separate categories? Based on this years numbers I would doubt it. Of course nothing stopping any girl from entering A, B or C grade, which is what a few of them did (Mel, Jo Wall, Jo Riley, Josie).
Court, my point is we need to think about the purpose of the women's grade. Is it to encourage more beginners? Is it to have women separate from men? Something to think on. I think this year it was a bit ambiguous. People didn't know where to put themselves. Josie is a great example. She is a woman. She is fast. She chose to race B grade. But then look at round 4, there are women racing women's grade which is equivalent to C grade (same tracks and numbers if laps) and I would say the podium was filled with B graders ;-) either way I don't care, I am just going to race mens C grade next year, but I think we need to decide what the purpose of the women's grade is so people know what to enter. Just food for thought :)

serowe

Likes Dirt
Quiggs - the unfortunate truth is that the majority of riders DO grade themselves properly. I know when I was helping run the Bushy Park Crits that we ran the first few weeks of the season as grading races with no points. In my final year I also (re)adjusted grades based on performances (and believe me that this upset a few riders*). The problem was, and still is, there are a few (read 'small number') of riders who want to win at all costs and they will grade themselves below their potential or, during a grading round, not put in their real effort.

There is no real answer to this very small umber but the fact is that they do tend to ruin it for others who are there purely for the fun of the event.

Having grading races at least gives the organisers a baseline to work from. The alternative being for organisers to forcibly adjust a riders grade if they get better (or worse) during a series.

*Some became quite vocal and one very - let's say - agitated because they were forced to go from a B grade to an A grade. The funny thing was, they ended up, in a 15+ field, of coming in the top 5 copnsistently when they were moved up instead of winning B grade. Being 'mates' with an organiser sometimes helps this attitude (and no - please - I am NOT even remotely suggesting this is happening here..)

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Dates are set
Sunday, May 5, 2013 @ Ballarat (3hr enduro)
Sunday, June 16, 2013 @ Castlemaine (TBA, most likely XCO)
Sunday, July 14, 2013 @ Redesdale (Marathon)
Sunday, August 11, 2013 @ You-Yangs (Stage race)

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
2013 InterWinter Series. 4 races 4 Clubs /,May 5th,/ June 16 /,July 14 /Aug 11th

Dates are set more racing Fun this Winter

Sunday, May 5, 2013 @ Ballarat (3hr enduro)
Sunday, June 16, 2013 @ Castlemaine (TBA, most likely XCO)
Sunday, July 14, 2013 @ Redesdale (Marathon)
Sunday, August 11, 2013 @ You-Yangs (Stage race)

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apologies guys, but can someone remind me what XCO format is? Did a quick google with not much joy and would like to know.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
xco

XCO = Olympic Cross country
Cross Country Olympic . it is a number of laps over about 1 hour 15mins , therefore a grade will prob. do two more laps than C grade.
Also we started a 2013 post if that helps.

my guess would be either 5 or 6 laps A grade and then 3 or 4 laps C grade if the track is not too steep