VIC 2012 INTERwinter Series . 4 races, 4 clubs. May 13, June 3rd, July 8th and August 8th

fandan

Squid
Just checked out the series results on www.gmbc.com.au, i was unaware series results where from your best 3 out of 4 rounds as it appears to be? I suppose it's written in some rules and regulations somewhere which I havn't seen. I attended all 4 rounds and had the most points at the end in A grade by a fair way, but when you take the best results from 3 of the rounds it puts me in second. I'm not taking it away from the bloke that ended up winning, as he did smash me every round he did but only attened 3/4 races and had less point at the end than i did. Just seems a bit unfair i suppose as i did all the travelling, got the points, rode in the mud twice etc... Anyways if that's the rules my own fault for not knowing them and at the end of the day it was heaps of fun and we are not racing for gold medals, just some cash to service the bike after the good times!

moorey

call me Mia
Just checked out the series results on www.gmbc.com.au, i was unaware series results where from your best 3 out of 4 rounds as it appears to be? I suppose it's written in some rules and regulations somewhere which I havn't seen. I attended all 4 rounds and had the most points at the end in A grade by a fair way, but when you take the best results from 3 of the rounds it puts me in second. I'm not taking it away from the bloke that ended up winning, as he did smash me every round he did but only attened 3/4 races and had less point at the end than i did. Just seems a bit unfair i suppose as i did all the travelling, got the points, rode in the mud twice etc... Anyways if that's the rules my own fault for not knowing them and at the end of the day it was heaps of fun and we are not racing for gold medals, just some cash to service the bike after the good times!
If thats the case, and I don't know if it is or isn't, I agree with you. A series should be about consistancy. IMHO, its not about who was the fastest most of the time, its about performing well over the whole series.
Idon't want to take anything away from the guy who smashed you in the 3 rounds he attended, or from the organisation and running of the brilliant series, but for my money, you're the winner.

Edit: Didn't realise that was you Warren, so, people, please don't accuse me of nepotism, and wanting to see a Ballarat boy take the glory.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
If it makes you feel any better (and it won't), I came in behind someone who only did 2/4 rounds, so I guess they averaged his 2 rounds to give him the 3 round score.

Edit: No he didn't...he just smashed me by so much that 2 rounds gave him more points than my 3....bwahahahaha

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
If I have noticed an error in my points from round 3, and am vain enough to want them corrected, who do I contact? (yes, apparently I AM thet vain...)

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
The rules are pretty crap!

There is no bonus for loyalty. I would have thought that the series winner would have been the person with the most points who attended all rounds, not sure how you can win a series when you don't attend all rounds, sounds a bit stupid to me? In my opinion, if you don't race in all of the rounds then you shouldnt be eligible for the series win. Obviously, there is nothing stopping you from racing for a race win, but it should exclude you from the series results.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I had made the effort to get to all of the events and then was beaten by someone who only went to 3, or even worse, 2 of the four events!

serowe

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't complain too much - I've timed some motor racing series where the final race in the series would allocate double or, one case, triple points (no extra distance though) and this ended crowning the series winner as the winner of the last race! (The only race that driver ran in....)

riderideride

Likes Dirt
It also means if you are sick for one round that you are nit penalised. Ben and I entered the whole series, but unfortunately could not attend the final round due to a chest infection. Nothing to do with not being loyal to the series. Hell we paid for all four events up front. I like that there is a bit of leeway. Allowed for me to still come in 4th in women's and Ben to come 4th in A grade.

moorey

call me Mia
I wouldn't complain too much - I've timed some motor racing series where the final race in the series would allocate double or, one case, triple points (no extra distance though) and this ended crowning the series winner as the winner of the last race! (The only race that driver ran in....)
Yep, 2 wrongs make a right.

Rishi, I see your point, but would you feel the same way if the boot was on the other foot?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
If it makes you feel any better (and it won't), I came in behind someone who only did 2/4 rounds, so I guess they averaged his 2 rounds to give him the 3 round score.

Edit: No he didn't...he just smashed me by so much that 2 rounds gave him more points than my 3....bwahahahaha
gee I wonder who that was :high5:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

There is no bonus for loyalty. I would have thought that the series winner would have been the person with the most points who attended all rounds, not sure how you can win a series when you don't attend all rounds, sounds a bit stupid to me? In my opinion, if you don't race in all of the rounds then you shouldnt be eligible for the series win. Obviously, there is nothing stopping you from racing for a race win, but it should exclude you from the series results.
What did the rules say at the start of the series?
If the rules originally stated it was your best 3 results, (or you only needed 2 races to qualify) out of the 4 races then it's hard to complain. It would be your own fault for not reading the fine print. From what Rishi wrote above, it was a rule from the start, so get over your whinging.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I had made the effort to get to all of the events and then was beaten by someone who only went to 3, or even worse, 2 of the four events!
Why? Because they would be so much faster then you? Sounds pretty petty to me.

Also remember its club racing, not the world series of mountain biking.

throwback

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat, I did all 4 races.
Based on points from all 4 I'm on the podium however as it's best of 3 I'm down the list and out of the running.
It's only disappointing now the results are in but I knew the rules from the start so can't complain or claim it's a surprise!

Hopefully it's done this way so that club members can volunteer marshalling or whatever at their home race and still compete for the series....?

Obviously also helps people out that can't get to one, or have a mechanical or get sick but hopefully this isn't the reason as basically 'that's racing' and it is a series after all.

Doesn't change the fact that I had 4 top quality, fun days of racing. Will be back next year for sure

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
arguments for both

Yes there are many many arguments for both systems and some have been mentioned above, but to be fair to riders that work on an event and still want to race in the series it had to be 3 out of four.
You can not penalize riders for helping run an event.
The other option would be to give riders full points in the race that they work on. OR raise the entry fee and pay professional promoters to run the events. Seems that $80 for the series is pretty good value so not sure many riders would want to change the entry fee.
Thanks for all the positive feed back on the Geelong FB page, and via email. Makes running the event really worth while when people really enjoy a day of racing.
Was a very well supported series thanks to all the clubs and riders who worked at the races and also to everyone who turned up and had a great time.

See you all at the Yowie. Entries opening soon

moorey

call me Mia
Absolutely all for volunteers being rewarded with bonus series points if they help out rather than race a round.
Less in favour of people who just miss a round getting equal chance of winning the series as those who make it to all 4.
I missed my home round due the my wife's work, but that my problem.
I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to work out the scoring system to reward volunteers for taking one for the team on race day at their local round. It might even get more people involved, which is only a good thing.

fandan

Squid
Ok initially I didn't see the logic in not using all 4 rounds for series points, but if its to encourage club members to assist at their home round and not be compromised in series points I totally get it. As I originally said didn't read the rules just assumed it was based on all 4 rounds, rode and enjoyed. Thanks to all clubs that held events it was a great series

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

I guess you must feel like a real knob now...

moorey

call me Mia
I guess you must feel like a real knob now...
I bet he doesn't, and nor should he. Maybe you should after that crack.
Hes well within his rights to feel that way. How many read the fine print rules? I sure didn't, and clearly many didn't, and would rightly assume that consistency across the series was the goal. I applaud the notion that dropping the round to assist was rewarded, but do we know if those who rode only 3 and still won, actually helped out, or just missed a round?