VIC 2012 Kona (Otway) Odyssey

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Reccy day - Saturday February 11

G'Day All,

Forrest MTB Club members will be assisting with the reccy' day for Kona Odyssey again this year.

Rego is at the Forrest Brewery from 8.30am with groups leaving from 9.00am.

Cost is only $5 per rider if you have a MTBA licence. Those without a licence can purchase a day licence for another $5.

Here is a chance to ride some of the trails with local riders.

We have an extra off-piste ride planned for the 100k entrants. A preview of the section from the start of Noonday, back up through Kaang quarry and down Red Carpet.

50k riders will cover parts of the Yaugher network.

All rides will last 3.5 - 4.0 hours depending on the enthusiasm of each group and return to the brewery afterwards

All funds go toward our trail crew to help maintain the network and ensure you ride quality trails each year.

The brewery will be open for Coffee from 8.00am

Hope to see you there

Roland

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The other option is to leave it there after registering on Friday night (unless you have someone who can set it up for you while you are starting from Apollo Bay which is even better

Last year I left mine under a friends marquee the night before, except by the time I got there, people where everywhere and my stuff had been moved/covered up, and I lost a few minutes trying to find my stuff, not good
Last year a couple of young ladies moved into my quickshade before my family could get there in the morning. When my brother turned up, they turned on the charm, to little effect. They finally got the message when my brother started throwing all thier crap out into the rain.

As for fluid and food intake, remember, race on what you trained on. Race day is not the day to try new things.

Last weekend was the last of my long training rides, I figured doing any tough training this week or next week wouldn't do me any favours on the lead up to race day. So currently I'm just commuting to work on the bike and doing a few 2 hour singletrack rides to keep moving.

Being my first Odyssey, its all guess work as to when I should slow down with the training before the event - I hope I'm going to survive the 100km.. Its about now I'm beginning to doubt whether I've done enough training? Will hydration and food be ok? A smidgen over a week to go and it will be on.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
Last weekend was the last of my long training rides, I figured doing any tough training this week or next week wouldn't do me any favours on the lead up to race day. So currently I'm just commuting to work on the bike and doing a few 2 hour singletrack rides to keep moving.

Being my first Odyssey, its all guess work as to when I should slow down with the training before the event - I hope I'm going to survive the 100km.. Its about now I'm beginning to doubt whether I've done enough training? Will hydration and food be ok? A smidgen over a week to go and it will be on.

You'll be fine!! Sounds like you've done a fair bit. Most of my training has been through commuting and still survived the 100km in the last 3years. After today my training is 'officially' over. My legs feel shagged after a tough week. So now its just wait and see. Most important been watching the weather forecast. Looks like it 'could' be a slightly wet race at this stage.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Finished training today with yet another Watsons Creek to KL (via endless ST, Happy Valley and that nasty climb up Everards Track) and return with a Sugarloaf Loop for saddle time and kms. Ended up doing just over 80km and felt pretty good throughout the ride. Bike service Monday, going to hit up track at DISC on Tues and Thurs with Perko Snr to turn the legs over, massage on Friday morning. Sweet times!
My first OO100 and cant wait! Good luck 'burners.

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
1st timer tyre choice

You'll be fine!! Sounds like you've done a fair bit. Most of my training has been through commuting and still survived the 100km in the last 3years. After today my training is 'officially' over. My legs feel shagged after a tough week. So now its just wait and see. Most important been watching the weather forecast. Looks like it 'could' be a slightly wet race at this stage.
1st Odyessy and in the 100km this year :courage:- I have the choice of either continental Race King Protection 2.1's or a set of continental Mountain King Protection 2.1's - reading other posts on tyre setups I am after some opinions for me please :) thanks all - see you there!!!

kv1973

Likes Dirt
1st Odyessy and in the 100km this year :courage:- I have the choice of either continental Race King Protection 2.1's or a set of continental Mountain King Protection 2.1's - reading other posts on tyre setups I am after some opinions for me please :) thanks all - see you there!!!
If it is dry race king are great. However don't think the the RK make a great front tyre. If it's fairly wet the MK both ends. I reckon it will be something in between these two so MK front and RK rears. For me looks like ralphs rear and front either Ralph again for dry and MK if it's damp. Pray it won't be like last year.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as my OO luck would have it! I've been trying to get rid of a bug for the last month. Doc has put me on a long course of antibiotics. I hope I can shake the frikkin thing. Lots of rest I guess.

BTW: The weather forecast looks pretty good. So far...

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just as my OO luck would have it! I've been trying to get rid of a bug for the last month. Doc has put me on a long course of antibiotics. I hope I can shake the frikkin thing. Lots of rest I guess.

BTW: The weather forecast looks pretty good. So far...
that's no good, if you are now tapering, then this sort of stuff should clear up.

yes weather, well if OO was this weekend think it would have been wet, next weekend ... looking ok.

just finished putting on new brake pads, Rear D, hanger, chain, cranks, gears are changing with the cling, cling noise. coming to a climb, cling, cling climb.

Last edited:

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
G'Day All,

Forrest MTB Club members will be assisting with the reccy' day for Kona Odyssey again this year.

Rego is at the Forrest Brewery from 8.30am with groups leaving from 9.00am.

Cost is only $5 per rider if you have a MTBA licence. Those without a licence can purchase a day licence for another $5.

Here is a chance to ride some of the trails with local riders.

We have an extra off-piste ride planned for the 100k entrants. A preview of the section from the start of Noonday, back up through Kaang quarry and down Red Carpet.

50k riders will cover parts of the Yaugher network.

All rides will last 3.5 - 4.0 hours depending on the enthusiasm of each group and return to the brewery afterwards

All funds go toward our trail crew to help maintain the network and ensure you ride quality trails each year.

The brewery will be open for Coffee from 8.00am

Hope to see you there

Roland
Had 29 "non-MTB'ers" out for the preview day today.

Despite 100mm of rain Thursday night the trails were dry and very little damage to the single track. Biggest problem seems to be "rutting" on the wider parts of the course where run-off has created some new lines. 100km riders need to look out for these.

Only drizzle today so unless the weather changes drastically all looks good for next week-end. The fire road has had 12 months to settle so you won't see the yellow clay problems of last year. Haven't been out to other "off-piste" sections yet, they will stay a mystery until race day

Roland

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that's no good, if you are now tapering, then this sort of stuff should clear up.

yes weather, well if OO was this weekend think it would have been wet, next weekend ... looking ok.

just finished putting on new brake pads, Rear D, hanger, chain, cranks, gears are changing with the cling, cling noise. coming to a climb, cling, cling climb.
Thanks mtb. After tomorrow's ride I'll be taking it easy on the bike. It doesn't help that I'll have a very busy week at work, but that's my lot. :)

Sounds like you gave your machine some real lurvin'. Way to go! I've got a few things to go, do but today I installed brand new XTR brakes, and cleaned out my rear hub.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My training is run and done. Only two slow rides since the weekend before Aus day, but today I had a hit out at Ballarat, doing a 6hr solo. Came fifth in the 40+, and I was really happy with that considering the lack of training. Went out too hard and paid the price after about the third lap. Came good at the end though and finished strong.

Bring on next week!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bet you'll love those new XTR brakes Jim. Trying to find the cash for some new XT's myself.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My training is run and done. Only two slow rides since the weekend before Aus day, but today I had a hit out at Ballarat, doing a 6hr solo. Came fifth in the 40+, and I was really happy with that considering the lack of training. Went out too hard and paid the price after about the third lap. Came good at the end though and finished strong.

Bring on next week!
Congrats Steve! That'll sharpen you up nicely. Take it nice'n'easy this week huh?

As for the XTR brakes, I'm really looking forward to some trouble free ownership. :) I'll bed them in tomorrow.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats Steve! That'll sharpen you up nicely. Take it nice'n'easy this week huh?

As for the XTR brakes, I'm really looking forward to some trouble free ownership. :) I'll bed them in tomorrow.
Thanks Jim. Nothing planned this week other than a bike shakedown ride after new pads and a clean.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Change of bike strategy. 29er HT. My arse will hurt, but the OO is only 35% singletrack and the last climb is pretty smooth.

Bring it!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Change of bike strategy. 29er HT. My arse will hurt, but the OO is only 35% singletrack and the last climb is pretty smooth.

Bring it!
Good call, rode the last 50k yesterday on the 29HT, and it will definatly be my choice (disclaimer; there was never really another option anyway :)

There will definatly be mud around, just hoping the weather report stays as is for the rest of the week

Be prepared for some slip 'n' slide fun in that last moto track descent again this year :)

Last edited:

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I dare say that a bit of moisture is better than choking on dust (and not seeing where you're going). A bit of slip'n'slide makes things fun.