VIC 2013 VES Enduro Series.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
We're still on the hunt for marshals for the day at Buxton (Sunday 10th).

If you know of anyone who fancies coming up (won't be needed for the whole day) and joining in please let us know.

Hit us up on info@bighillevents.com.au or give us a call 03 90106040.
Cheers!

moorey

call me Mia
Best VES track ever. Loved the fast, bermed, flowing DH sections.
Brilliantly run also. Thanks guys.
I never cramp, btw, but cramped horrendously right from the second lap today. That wasn't part of the deal :rant:

Fantastic event

Yep - those trails were brilliant ! Spider Gully had be literally going "wahoo" - and the big bermed sections - I'm sure some DH racers will have a blast on that.

Good fun with the BIG HILL EVENTS guys too - the inflated ducks and whales - and swearing parrot !? LOL !

The course got pretty tough after two laps - I had bad cramping in my third lap - and had a 15 min break afterwards - only managed one more - and sore lower back this morning.

All good though - great event to close out the series - cheers !

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Thank You :)

This was my first race & absolutely loved it!!! I was surprised how polite everyone was when overtaking & checking to see if I was okay when stopped.
The event was organised fantastically! Excellent flowy trails & the weather was kind to us too.
The whales, ducks and parrot put a smile on my face when my body was giving up :)
Thanks to everyone who made this happen!!

Jessica

moorey

call me Mia
Cramping was a bitch. I can only attribute it to the breaks in a 6hr team ride. I usually ride 3hr solo, and ride up to 6hrs on weekends without ever cramping.
Any suggestions of how to avoid in future 6hr team races? I haven't used gel or sports drinks in the past, is that a starter? Fitness isn't my problem.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cramping was a bitch. I can only attribute it to the breaks in a 6hr team ride. I usually ride 3hr solo, and ride up to 6hrs on weekends without ever cramping. Any suggestions of how to avoid in future 6hr team races? I haven't used gel or sports drinks in the past, is that a starter? Fitness isn't my problem.
You need to drink straight beer Moorey, shandy's will cause cramps! :nono:

Sports drink will help; get the powdered stuff brand and flavor will depend on personal taste, and the size of your wallet.

I missed the event unfortunately as it sounds like I missed out! I will however be going for a ride up there sometime in the near future :bounce:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Cramping was a bitch. I can only attribute it to the breaks in a 6hr team ride. I usually ride 3hr solo, and ride up to 6hrs on weekends without ever cramping.
Any suggestions of how to avoid in future 6hr team races? I haven't used gel or sports drinks in the past, is that a starter? Fitness isn't my problem.
Stopping is the problem, I can ride all day but as soon as I stop....a world of hurt. Either don't stop, or nut up Mary.

*edit* Maybe vage up instead, I noticed ed Jessica didn't whine about cramps in her post.

Last edited:

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Hey Moorey - I had the same trouble with cramp - and used Endura to get rid of it. I now use the Endura Max 5 days before racing now. Check out my blog post - http://sportrecovery.com.au/blog/2013/endura-vs-cramp.html

moorey

call me Mia
5 days before? FARK, I don't even think about which bike I'm going to ride until about midnight the day before a race.
I'll have a read, but don't take racing seriously, so I'm not planning a regime change.
Prefer the 3hr solo, and maybe a 6hr solo one day.
Ill occasionally do 60 hard trail km's followed by a 30 min coffee break, followed by another 30km tough trail ride on a Sunday, and never cramped on the last bit after the break. That said, last weekend, I face planted 10km into it last week, and pulled the pun, but wasn't feeling cramps at that point.
I'll try again, with more bananas and try a few gels and see how I go.
Thanks for that though.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
5 days before? FARK, I don't even think about which bike I'm going to ride until about midnight the day before a race.
I'll have a read, but don't take racing seriously, so I'm not planning a regime change.
Prefer the 3hr solo, and maybe a 6hr solo one day.
Ill occasionally do 60 hard trail km's followed by a 30 min coffee break, followed by another 30km tough trail ride on a Sunday, and never cramped on the last bit after the break. That said, last weekend, I face planted 10km into it last week, and pulled the pun, but wasn't feeling cramps at that point.
I'll try again, with more bananas and try a few gels and see how I go.
Thanks for that though.
Ha, let's reiterate - I ride, not race. But prefer riding without the pain of cramp :) popping a scoop of max into your orange juice each morning isn't really a regime change. But you're right, gels will help as well.

You'll still get that Sport Recovery discount on all Endura products at www.sportrecovery.com.au - just smash "BuxtonBootcamp" into the discount coupon section when checking out. The discount will run out at the end of this week!

moorey

call me Mia
Ha, let's reiterate - I ride, not race. But prefer riding without the pain of cramp :) popping a scoop of max into your orange juice each morning isn't really a regime change. But you're right, gels will help as well.

You'll still get that Sport Recovery discount on all Endura products at www.sportrecovery.com.au - just smash "BuxtonBootcamp" into the discount coupon section when checking out. The discount will run out at the end of this week!
Never looked into these, but I'm expecting they aren't vegan friendly?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Yep, great day Alan, hope that Rohin had the race radio you were looking for at the end of the day.

moorey

call me Mia
Grrrr, added the rehydration gear to my cart, set up an account (clunky setup), and they won't deliver to PO boxes. Wtf is with that?
I'm a man of little perseverance, and easily put off. Looks like no soup for me.