VIC 2013 VES Enduro Series.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I found 99% of passing was very polite, both passer and passee. There was one though (looking at you Apollo jersey), who either just got the timing completely wrong or was just being way too pushy. He passed a lady in front of me as the trail narrowed through some trees and they both tried to be in the same space through the gap. She was a bit shaken, as she seemed fairly new to racing.

On the flip side, one of the most polite passers was one of the Mt Beauty juniors, clearly much faster than me but prepared to wait until it was easy for both of us.
That was one of the tougher tracks to pass on, no excuses for inapproriate behaviour when passing though, but it is really difficult at times to gauge speeds and travelling distances when trying to negotiate an overtaking move when coming into single track with a rider of lesser experience, easiest solution I find is to just holler out from about 20mts before the track narrows and riders will allow you to sneak infront, then theres other occasions you don't speak loud enough or they plain don't hear you and collision could occur. Virtually all riders when being overtaken will move aside, some will even just pull straight over in to the bushes to not hold you up! Happened several times on the weekend startling me because I wasn't prepared.

As for the Appollo rider, he is one of the "Good Guys" and if an incident occurred it would have been a pure misjudgement or miss communication and not one of complete A##hole attitude because it is not in his nature to act in that sort of manner.

quiggs

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Its a two way street...
I always try and let people pass with a minimal of fuss. It means I dont have to slow down or stop and it also means I dont have a faster rider on my wheel! The more you race the better you get at passing and being passed. I think some people think they can just keep riding and never let people pass. Thats a stupid idea. Why not just find a bit in the trail where you can pull to the side slightly and keep riding and let the faster rider pass? Makes both parties happy :)

monc

Likes Dirt
I think this is likely to be a case of misjudgement, I don't think the slower rider heard him coming, andgot the crap scared out of her when it all didn't go to plan. She would needed lightening reflexes and to have pulled off to stop for the gap to work.

The guys at the pointy end are usually very very good at passing (they get lots of practice), but I pointed this one out as an example of how off-putting it can be to a more inexperienced person when it all doesn't go to plan.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Great race and very well run. As a solo i much preferred this years course than last years. Happy to keep it the same.

The old overtaking debate, commonsense and communication if you’ve got it passing is no worries but if you haven’t you had better hope the other rider has it. As far as the track/organisation is concerned job well done, rocky, yes, hard? that’s a matter of perspective, IMO would have liked the start loop to have remained in for the whole race, don't mind climbing for a good flowing higher speed descent. On an aside a big thanks needs to go out to Brent, Cam, Dalen and anyone else who threw the race and possibly podiums away to help the young pup who shazlicked his inner thigh.

johndh

Likes Dirt
I didn't ride at al bury on Saturday, but it sounds like quite a technical track, therefor the number of injuries??
In the past the ves events were participation events which encourages a variety of skills of riders eg novice through to the elite, has this changed, with the ves becoming the quasi state series????

riderideride

Likes Dirt
I didn't ride at al bury on Saturday, but it sounds like quite a technical track, therefor the number of injuries??
In the past the ves events were participation events which encourages a variety of skills of riders eg novice through to the elite, has this changed, with the ves becoming the quasi state series????
It was an awesome track and the club did an excellent job organising the day.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same track as you rode last year John, except with the long fire road climb to the top removed, and 2 other sections added in.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Big thanks to the crew at Albury who put on a great day. Plenty of volunteers who were happy and helpful.
The track was rocky, technical, hilly and I loved it (even though my skills would disagree otherwise).
I passed a few people and few people passed me. Was all very friendly from start to finish, which was great as the passing opportunities on this track were rare.
I though it was just me, but my whole body was cactus the next day.
I had a pretty uneventful ride (which is good!), no flats or bike problems, no crashes, just a lot of cramp in the last one and a half hours....

Managed 11 laps and found the climb up to transition the only place to consume food.
Was a great turn out of riders and the weather....was too good.

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone - great to hear that everyone had such a great day on Saturday, it's a great buzz to see new people getting a buzz out of riding our local trails.

A few people need to be thanked - Grant, our Race Director, worked his arse off getting organised for this round, all of the volunteers that helped out setting up, marshalling, timing, and packing up, Russ Baker for making the trip down from Canberra - again - to run timing, and finally everyone that turned up and raced. Big thanks to everyone that made the trip up to race as well - I hope we made it worth your while. A big thanks to you for leaving the place so clean afterwards, and also for being so good about parking on Range Rd.

A huge thanks to AlburyCity for supporting the event and allowing us to race up there too!

Scott - glad to hear you're ok after your tumble - any war wounds to speak of, or did the bike bear the brunt?

For those of you that have ridden previous years, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the new section of trail included this year (Final Terms and Schweppes) vs the long fireroad climb of last year. From the people I talked to, it really seemed to change the nature of the race - eating and drinking opportunities needed to be carefully thought out, and although the Schweppes climb is (relatively) short, you really need to be on your game and on the gas to get up there. What would you prefer to see - this years course, or last years?

I did also hear one isolated tale of a bit of aggro on the course - did anyone else see / hear any of that about the place? I did neglect to give my usual trail / passing etiquette in the race brief and I'm subsequently feeling a little guilty about it.

Interested in any and all feedback - either by PM or posted here.

Thanks again for ya help, I can't stress that enough!!!!
The bike copped a little but all will be fixed with some care and polishing... Strong bloody bike those Specialized are. Rekon as strong as my yz450 I used to race...
I've worked out the body doesn't bounce like it used to wen I was 18...
Fractured scapula, cracked rib and I think and knuckle.. Pride took a hiding as I love the tech side of riding mtb's.... All good tho I get to watch the tour De France while healing up...:)

I think the course had everything you could want for Mtb.... Challenging when attacking, great climbs, great descents, tech and flow.. Think its hard for people to pass on most single tracks at any venue. People need to be a little patient as all riders are at different skill levels when racing. I think the Agro isnt meant to be harsh to the passing rider, I think that the passer is pumped up on adrenalin and impatient from trying to do there fastest laps.. Who knows exactly how the situation unfolds unless you have a camera taping it..
If someone asks to get by me I let them through but it they don't say anything I ain't moving till they do..

Great event again...

Scott

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The nature of the track made overtaking quite a bit more difficult for both the passer and the passee.

Personally, I loved the track. I found it rewarding and demanding in just the right doses!
Unlike any other track I've raced, by the end of the day there was still no clear cut 'racing line'.
This added to the excitement and kept you on your toes all day!

I had a moment on that same section that Scott did, I still have no idea quite how I rode out of it.
Bloody glad I did though, because it was a feature I really enjoyed for my other laps.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Unlike any other track I've raced, by the end of the day there was still no clear cut 'racing line'.
This added to the excitement and kept you on your toes all day!
FWIW I rode the full racetrack Friday night and most of it again last night (didn't race) and while the track had been noticeably swept by the race there were still loose rocks and gravel randomly left on the lines. So while it looked like a racing line was there, there were still random traps to catch you out (especially in the dark)

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those that don't know me I'm John Groves - one of the riders in the 'Apollo Bikes p/b ozriders.com.au' team that won overall on the weekend. I've been racing for 15 years. I love bringing new riders to the sport, encouraging them to get out there and race and pride myself on helping them have an enjoyable experience. I would normally keep this kind of communication behind closed doors (via PM as leftieant requested) with those directly involved. This saves irrelevant opinions, defamation to people and brands; and usually leads to a more hasty and effective solution. It only needs to be made public if that is the only way to resolve the issue. As an Apollo supported athlete, having Apollo mentioned in a negative light requires me to respond in public.

I found 99% of passing was very polite, both passer and passee. There was one though (looking at you Apollo jersey), who either just got the timing completely wrong or was just being way too pushy. He passed a lady in front of me as the trail narrowed through some trees and they both tried to be in the same space through the gap. She was a bit shaken, as she seemed fairly new to racing.
I was wearing ozriders.com.au clothing on the weekend so this would most likely have been my team mate, Peter Kutschera - the only rider I saw wearing an Apollo jersey at the event. As already attested by those that know him he is one of the nicest riders in the sport. I've spoken to him and he can recall it as being one of two possible incidents.

The first involved a rider walking along a singletrack that had no other rideable line that would allow passing with clear space between riders. Despite being asked multiple times, politely at first and finally more bluntly, they would not step off the track. Peter proceeded to pass, slowly, tangling handlebars a little and copping abuse for it. As the rider was on foot very little danger was imposed on them.

The second involved a rider calling him to pass, him proceeding to pass, them both realising they'd mistimed the gap, the other rider saying watch it and a bump of elbows occuring which would understandably intimidate a newer rider.

There was definitely no malice involved in either incident. Considering we pass 20-30 riders a lap, 7 laps, 150-200 passes, that makes for a less than 2% rate of incidence. I'd like it to be 0% but we know that is impossible...no one's perfect.

'monc' - please leave names out of negative posts unless they are 100% required. If you have an issue with a singular person/brand/organisation take it up with them or the appropriate mediator. A public forum is not an appropriate first option for mediator.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
Though I wasn't there I'm going to chime in on this: I'll also vouch that Pete is one of the most well mannered riders you'll find at any race, and any incident involving him is likely to have been a strange and rare occurrence that has some kind of misunderstanding behind it. While I'm sure Grover will have a chat with Pete about it, I would be confident in saying he's not a rider I'd expect to hear reports of repeat and/or deliberate poor behaviour on track, and it should probably be put down to bad luck, timing, whatever.

It certainly sounds far more plausible to me that you'd have a rider refusing to let an experienced rider pass than Pete push through in a recognisably dangerous situation where the other ride doesn't make the situation worse than it should be.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Yes the never ending debate. Pete is of course a nice guy - +1 on that front.

I'm lucky to be fast enough to get rarely passed, but not so fast that I have to pass a lot; but that course was a tough one in that respect. The rocks and lots of tight, on the side of a hill single track ment there were not as many natural wide sections to slide through as usual. Plus a rocky course probably has newer rides more on edge as well. I had a few people jam their bikes off the tracks and into the bush fairly abruptly when I called from well back (a good habit when closing in quickly) - always leaves me embarrassed. Even guys like Grover and Pete will tell you they are not racing for sheep stations and they win quite a lot.

Great transition vibe on the weekend too.

monc

Likes Dirt
Grover - you're right, I should have thought harder before being so specific publicly, that's a fair call. I did say that it could have been a case of mis-judgement, which it definitely sounds like (it was the second of your incidents).

I had wanted to highlight how intimidating it can be for a rider to get bumped when they're already a little intimidated by the track. It is a tricky sport of ours with such a wide disparity of skill levels out on the same narrow track - 99% of passing is done well, and 99% of the dodgy ones are probably misjudgements.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
Blores Hill- round 4

Rode the final course today and despite it being the middle of winter and the rain we have endured this month down here, neither bike nor body (except odor) needn't a wash! Track is in great condition as the trail fairies have been working tirelessly to make it even faster.
There was an IMBA workshop held this weekend at Munjara and the crew re-designed the top of Jim's, or switchback heaven, to create more flow and sustainability.

Still some cabin accommodation at the caravan park and Munjara camp for those wishing to stay. Food available at the caravan park or also in Heyfield its self. Plenty on offer.

Will upload the strava segment shortly but course is a combination of the past two years, appprox 14km of flowing trails and 210m of climbing with no real lung busting efforts. A course for everyone!!!