2017 world cup discussion

moorey

call me Mia
Did somebody from the UCI stub their toe on a rock at Leogang last year?
Without watching it yet, it's not a course that many people I know find excitement. "Highway" was one word used. It SHOULD be a 29" whitewash.

Now to watch the video :behindsofa:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Without watching it yet, it's not a course that many people I know find excitement. "Highway" was one word used. It SHOULD be a 29" whitewash.

Now to watch the video :behindsofa:
I'm ok with LG after the FW fiasco bog section.....rather see people riding pushys than dogging them down a hill.....

moorey

call me Mia
I'm ok with LG after the FW fiasco bog section.....rather see people riding pushys than dogging them down a hill.....
Sure the riders said the bog section was a bit average....particularly the 80% who stacked in there, but Bill is pretty cool, and the riders seem to always like it.
I predict the only people raving about Leo in a few days, will coincidentally be standing on a podium.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Sure the riders said the big section was a bit average....particularly the 80% who stacked in there, but Bill is pretty cool, and the riders seem to always like it.
I predict the only people raving about Leo in a few days, will coincidentally be standing on a podium.
The FW mud section is what I would expect a mtnbike N'duro section to look like....not the retired DHers competiton it's turned into....N'duro is as fake as Freeride era lol

jbg

Likes Dirt
True.

Seems like one of the main problems with Leogang is that there aren't many sections that could be used as an excuse as to why they had a bad run.
Coincidentally the main wingers are never in contention for the top 20 regardless of the track, be it flat, smooth, rough, wet or steep.
That vid is just a bunch of ingrate twats having a sook, can't wait to see the bell ends protest on their hardtails.

moorey

call me Mia
True.

Seems like one of the main problems with Leogang is that there aren't many sections that could be used as an excuse as to why they had a bad run.
Coincidentally the main wingers are never in contention for the top 20 regardless of the track, be it flat, smooth, rough, wet or steep.
That vid is just a bunch of ingrate twats having a sook, can't wait to see the bell ends protest on their hardtails.
That's almost the opposite of what I meant, but ok.

It seems pretty much universally unpopular, and that feedback was ignored.....but you podium, you're unlikely to complain, even if you were critical before. I can see how you got that from my comment, but it wasn't what I meant.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
The FW mud section is what I would expect a mtnbike N'duro section to look like....not the retired DHers competiton it's turned into....N'duro is as fake as Freeride era lol
Why would anyone expect any section of anything to be like that?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Maybe let the CXers have the slop garden at FW? They seem happier dragging their bikes through mud rather than riding them.

moorey

call me Mia
Troy 2nd fastest in praccy. Go son. Jack only did the one timed run. Pretty even 27.5/29 split at the top for those playing at home....maybe 27.5 up a bit..because practice is where it's at...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Atwill rollin' on his HT to prove a point - great footage!
[video=youtube;r6bpmj2uoAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bpmj2uoAU[/video]

I'd nominate a few old school contenders for the sheer dominance of their era. Tai Lee Muxlow and Steve Peat. Has anyone else raced at such a high level as Peaty for as long?
Peaty IS mountain biking. Such an icon of the sport
And such a champion all round. He battled against the greats and is one of the greats.
Love his take on the whole business of racing. Ride fast, win race, party like a rock star. Repeat.
However it would seem that G. Minaar is not done winning races yet. For sheer consistency he is going to be hard to beat.
And he shows no sign of losing touch with the chasing pack of young hungry riders coming through.

On a side issue, watched the vid of guys whinging about boring racetracks. Man, seriously?
Fast is good, tech is good and fast and tech is good. There is a place for a mix of tracks in the series. Should be more races in the season really.
Those guys are good riders. No question. But their arguments ring hollow if they're not winning on these 'boring' tracks. Or at least in touch with the contenders.
Phil Atwill is good media footage but he's not really a contender at WC level. Can ride and obviously does a good job getting coverage but he does need to put up some numbers after baking the track and the series like he just did. Not the only one but very vocal.
The tracks are put up by the tracks themselves. UCI is being paid to have the events there. Money talks.
Track may well be bikepark but the speed is what makes it exciting. And dangerous.
Maybe anyone could ride it, as some riders claim, but not many can ride it at WC speed

I don't ride DH at all but I love watching it. The guys, and girls, are amazing at what they do. And it can be exciting regardless of the track.
Fast like Leogang should make for tight gaps on the podium.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Troy 2nd fastest in praccy. Go son. Jack only did the one timed run. Pretty even 27.5/29 split at the top for those playing at home....maybe 27.5 up a bit..because practice is where it's at...
Doesn't look like there is anything in this track for the 29ers to roll over faster..

moorey

call me Mia
Doesn't look like there is anything in this track for the 29ers to roll over faster..
4 in the top 10 after provisional qualifying. Pretty healthy mix, even though they represent a smaller fraction of bikes. Gwin is always going to be hard to beat at Leogang, and Troy is always on the money here, but you'd be a very bravo man to bet against Minnaar.
Gunna be a smoking race either way.