2017 world cup discussion

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It could be the best Aussie team we've seen for a fair while, some stand out names in there but yeah, Graeme not getting picked is iffy and makes you wonder how legit the selection process is.
As for Sam's presence, he's the highest standing Australian gravity racer in the world right now by leading the Enduro World Series. His place is as valid on that roster as anyone's and will be massively exciting to watch in Cairns but I'll bet ten bucks he ain't riding a bike with triple clamps. ;)

Staunch

Eats Squid
Muddy and Frew in reserve. Not sure how Newell was picked over Mudd. I've seen Sam copping flac for his selection, but he's entitled to the spot, regardless of his EWS focus. He'll finish top 15, quote me on that...:behindsofa:
Even though Jake has only raced 4 races and is behind Mudd in points, he beat him at 3/4 of those. Considering champs is a one-off race, I guess they chose for form as opposed to UCI points. Jake also finished 3rd overall for 2017 DH Nationals so I'm guessing that might of helped.

moorey

call me Mia
Even though Jake has only raced 4 races and is behind Mudd in points, he beat him at 3/4 of those. Considering champs is a one-off race, I guess they chose for form as opposed to UCI points. Jake also finished 3rd overall for 2017 DH Nationals so I'm guessing that might of helped.
True. One DNF didn't help his ICU points.
I reckon Aussie is a serious chance for at least 3 in the top 10, with 2 on the podium.
Tracy will perform on home soil too. Gunna be a ripper race, whatever the conditions. :woot:

indica

Serial flasher
But Muddy Isn't?
Reserve.....

ELITE MEN DHI
Troy Brosnan (SA)
Jack Moir (NSW)
Connor Fearon (SA)
Michael Hannah (QLD)
Dean Lucas (VIC)
Sam Hill (WA)
Joshua Button (NSW)
Jake Newell (NSW)
Reserves: Jackson Frew; Graeme Mudd

ELITE WOMEN DHI
Tracey Hannah (QLD)
Ronja Hill-Wright (ACT)
Danielle Beecroft (NSW)
Tegan Molloy (NSW)
Kellie Weinert (NSW)
Sian A’Hern (NSW)
Katie Lawlor (QLD)
Shelly Flood (SA)

While I love seeing Sam make the team for champs, I still don't understand how he was selected for Aus DH team. I always thought it was a case of the team/riders making selection based on them accruing x-amount of points across the National DH Series & or World Cup DH rounds, or is that a misunderstanding on my part? I was almost certain that's what the selection criteria used to be.

On a side note, anyone know if the MTBA had notified the selected riders of there spot on the teams before this week? Seems to be a bit of hullabuloo in the background over why MTBA has announced the teams so late in the game. If so I sympathise with the riders as it doesn't seem like a great deal of time to get prepped for Worlds, particularly those working the 9-5 & largely privateering to make it all happen.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
While I love seeing Sam make the team for champs, I still don't understand how he was selected for Aus DH team. I always thought it was a case of the team/riders making selection based on them accruing x-amount of points across the National DH Series & or World Cup DH rounds, or is that a misunderstanding on my part? I was almost certain that's what the selection criteria used to be.

On a side note, anyone know if the MTBA had notified the selected riders of there spot on the teams before this week? Seems to be a bit of hullabuloo in the background over why MTBA has announced the teams so late in the game. If so I sympathise with the riders as it doesn't seem like a great deal of time to get prepped for Worlds, particularly those working the 9-5 & largely privateering to make it all happen.
Its not just a matter of accruing UCI points. Certain positions at any give world cup mean automatic selection and Sams result at Fort William did enough for him there. Unfortunately for Muddy he just didnt have a great year at the World Cups this year.

As for the late announcement, It has been in the MTBA selection criteria all along that it would be announced this week. The juniors were held up, but the senior DH team was always being announced around now. If you look at the US and a few other federations they are working to a similar time line.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No disrespect to Muddy, but I doubt he'd be in the same stratosphere as Sam at Worlds.
Surely on top of all the criteria, you'd want to pick a team based on the best chance to bring home the bacon.

Unless you're Chris Jongewaard and you're running people over with cars

Also, I'm a casual DH fan, but Sam's legacy has only grown since his switch to EWS full time.
I'm sure everyone wants to see him sneak in and stick it to them in Cairns

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I truly hope this isn't the case and it hasn't been said or even whispered around the camp fire by any of my mates but:

I reckon this is Sam's World Champs send off. I don't want to admit it as we all love seeing the guy race. Hell, I don't want him to stop but I can't help but think something has aligned and he's winked at the right person to give it one last nudge. Imagine how amazing it would be to see him get a podium result, even a win on home soil!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I truly hope this isn't the case and it hasn't been said or even whispered around the camp fire by any of my mates but:

I reckon this is Sam's World Champs send off. I don't want to admit it as we all love seeing the guy race. Hell, I don't want him to stop but I can't help but think something has aligned and he's winked at the right person to give it one last nudge. Imagine how amazing it would be to see him get a podium result, even a win on home soil!
That would be wonderful, although he certainly doesn't have anything left to prove in the DH arena.

And how did he get his spot on the team? Because he's the Goddamn Sam Hill, that's how!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

You mean retirement from racing all together? Or just DH? If it's the latter, then sure, he's been quite vocal about his preference to his current format.

moorey

call me Mia
You mean retirement from racing all together? Or just DH? If it's the latter, then sure, he's been quite vocal about his preference to his current format.
Yeah, he's never sounded happier and hungrier than he is for the EWS. I have no doubt this is his DH swan song. Doesn't strike me as a guy happy to just make up numbers if he doesn't think he's right at the pointy end any more.

scblack

Leucocholic
Yeah, he's never sounded happier and hungrier than he is for the EWS. I have no doubt this is his DH swan song. Doesn't strike me as a guy happy to just make up numbers if he doesn't think he's right at the pointy end any more.
I agree if he didn't feel he could be still competitive he would not be there. I cant wait.

Seeing Sam Hill ride is one of the major things I have always looked forward to.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That would be wonderful, although he certainly doesn't have anything left to prove in the DH arena.

And how did he get his spot on the team? Because he's the Goddamn Sam Hill, that's how!
I totally agree, he's the lasting impression of Aussie downhill.

Just downhill. Maybe not world cups but World Champs.

I agree if he didn't feel he could be still competitive he would not be there. I cant wait.

Seeing Sam Hill ride is one of the major things I have always looked forward to.
Are you going to Cairns old mate?

scblack

Leucocholic
Are you going to Cairns old mate?
Nah unfortunately, I am spending that weekend in Hunter Valley Gardens, then Singapore 15-20 September and Thailand in late October, so a bit too much travel happening to fit it in.

Tough life huh!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Nah unfortunately, I am spending that weekend in Hunter Valley Gardens, then Singapore 15-20 September and Thailand in late October, so a bit too much travel happening to fit it in.

Tough life huh!
Well hey, you work hard............you play hard. ;)
You're in Singapore for the Grand Prix? It's that weekend.

Dang, thought it was this weekend, got all excited and shit....
I thought the mushrooms were out of season in the ACT? ;)