29er Tyre Thread

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I find that for 99% of the type of riding I do my Racing Ralphs are very hard to beat... The combination of grip, low rolling resistance and weight make these an absolute winner in my books... I run a 2.4 up front and 2.25 on the rear and they're very difficult to fault... Other riders look at the 2.4 and wonder A) am I riding a 29er, and B) is it a 2.5 or larger because it looks so massive...

Some people have had issues with the sidewalls but I've never had a flat (touch wood), note too I still use tubes (yeah yeah I'm old fashioned... :p).

I have tinkered with the idea of using something else, my LBS does have stock of the Aspen and Crossmark, and another stocks a number of Big S tyres (notably the Captain Control and Renegade), but every time I come back to the RR...

My only gripe with these is cost... The're very exxy but they're seriously that much better than the competition... Now if only they made a Rocket Ron in larger sizes I'd use those for racing and the RR for training... :D

I have used other tyres like the Ignitor (good all round tyre) and the ExiWolf (good all round front tyre for training) however, if I decide to try another brand for s***s and giggles it will probably be the Geax Aka, or maybe a Captain Control/Fast Trak combo, if I can find a FT that is...

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some news on the Geax Aka:

Currently not being distributed in Australia in the 29 x 2.3 TNT. May or may not be plans to do so down the track.

I'm still contemplating getting a set of Sagauros, however am concerned that one on the front may not be the go.

Any comment on this? I absolutely hated having the XMark on the front, will the Saguaro be any better?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt

Currently not being distributed in Australia in the 29 x 2.3 TNT. May or may not be plans to do so down the track.

I'm still contemplating getting a set of Sagauros, however am concerned that one on the front may not be the go.

Any comment on this? I absolutely hated having the XMark on the front, will the Saguaro be any better?
The Saguaro tyre has a tight bead - like a UST tyre. Fitting it onto Stans or other "tall" rims is near impossible. Fantastic for UST 29er wheels though, eg Mavic, Easton, Shimano. The Saguaro has a nice tread though, and a good size at 2.2".

- Joel

rtl000

Squid
The Saguaro tyre has a tight bead - like a UST tyre. Fitting it onto Stans or other "tall" rims is near impossible. The Saguaro has a nice tread though, and a good size at 2.2"l
I put a folding Saguaro on Flows (with tube as I was pushed for time) w/o too much of a problem.

I like them as a front tyre in the varying conditions in the central west of NSW... loose-over-hardpack/shale/etc (and Stromlo for that matter).

sossy

Saucier
Saguaro is a great tyre, I used them on all of my 26" bikes, the little lady still does, just a great set and forget tyre. Paul Van Der Ploeg used saguaro as his tyre of choice fo the national round at hobart - yes on a 26" wheel. He rates them highly.

I have had no joy getting the saguaro onto an arch rim... Try and try, it just wont happen, not even the first bead! That was with nothing in the rim, no tape, nothing! a lot of swearing, sweating and broken levers later, I gave up and went the Racing Ralph option.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt

I've ordered the Aka 2.2 folding from OS... With the AUD over parity with the USD it was a no brainer... Will let you know how this pans out...

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
No but would like to - it's my next tyre as I'm very happy with the current Race Kings using them tubeless but a bit more bite would be nice.
How do the RK compare to the Crossmarks?
Been eyeing them off also.
I've got the Anthem 29er as well.

krisko

Likes Dirt
The Saguaro tyre has a tight bead - like a UST tyre. Fitting it onto Stans or other "tall" rims is near impossible. Fantastic for UST 29er wheels though, eg Mavic, Easton, Shimano. The Saguaro has a nice tread though, and a good size at 2.2".
Saguaro' on my Avanti Kiss singlespeed with PXC-2 rims, run tubeless. Awesome grip, decent weight. These really hook up well with a good size bag. On the same bike I am running Contintental Race Kings. These things rock on the hardtail. They are fast grippy and very predictable. With a tall sidewall and wide bag they offer comfort compared to other tyres.

Anyone running Pxc-2's and want to run a semi permanent tubeless system that will enable you to pump your tyres up with a floor pump should consider running Bontrager rim strips and valves. Best tubeless system bar none.

LHSmith

Cannon Fodder
Kenda Small Block 8's

Have done over 1000km on a set of these on my Niner Jet9, with minimal wear on the front and about half worn on the back. Have had one front wheel wash out on off camber gravel topped hardpack (ouch). Run them pretty high as I'm 110kg on a good day. Low rolling resistance and with the CVA rear and 29er contact patch seem to stay hooked up pretty well at the rear when climbing. No flats.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
How do the RK compare to the Crossmarks?
Been eyeing them off also.
I've got the Anthem 29er as well.
Well, the main difference seems to be related to the bag - the 2.2 RK's are a bigger tyre c/p to 2.1 CM's not surprisingly. They make a bit more noise on the tar but roll as well as the Crossmark despite being slightly larger, and seem to have a bit better grip in dry conditions.

They still struggle big time in the damp though, as you would expect.

krisko

Likes Dirt
RK's have far more edges when cornering or rolling in a straight line. Speed is better just, predictability is higher as the tire feels the same leant over or otherwise due to the consistent tread pattern. RK's offer more comfort and better sidewall protection.
They offer far better traction on the back when climbing on steep terrain.

The small weight penalty pays off on the track predictable cornering means faster entry and exit speeds. Climbing harder and less dreaded slippage when your legs are tired. You will also feel more comfortable on rocky terrain the tire conforms very well due to the tall profile and large bag!

I've always found these to be just as good as Shwalbe's RR! If not more comfortable!
Oh and side knobs dont breakdown as badly as they do on the RR.
Both RR and RK's are very high end tyres!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Krisko, have you tried RKs with black chilli compound? AFAIK, the 29er RKs don't have it.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tangential, but I had a light bulb moment tonight while I was trying to tubeless my rear Giant P-XC rim - again - tonight.

I had a few issues getting the rim strip to bed down in the rim channel, and getting it tucked under the clincher lip.

The trick was one of those roller gadget tools that you use for replacing the rubber strip around your fly screens (when you change the wire). Rolls, and a nice sharp edge and lip on that you can really wail down on and tuck away recalitrant rim strips.

Quick trip to the servo - tyre up first time.

Magic!

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Anyone got their hands on some Geax AKA 2.2's as yet? keen to set these (folders) up on Stans Crest rims for Bike Buller and would love some feedback:)

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Rating the Ardent as a rear tyre, quit impressed!

Will test it on some hardpack this week.
Ran an Ardent on the rear for a short time (2 rides) and found it let go easily on hard cornering. Great for climbing in loose gravelly stuff but on harder surfaces felt vague. I`ll be interested to hear how you find it.
Cheers
MH

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding the Frankensheep today.
The Larry is absolutely awesome.
Unfortunately it shows up how ordinary my Ardent is on the back.
Never had a problem with the Ardent on back before but this is probably because it was a similar level of meh to whatever was on the front at the time compared with the Larry.

Love the Frankensheep!!!