29er wheels

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
The giant 29er wheels weigh about 2350g, which in case you haven't worked out, is shedloads.

1800g would typically be a solid but light enough everyday wheelset eg decent hubs to arch rims with comp spokes.
1700g is getting pretty light
1600g is bordering on race day only, or solid everyday wheels with very exxy parts
1500g is getting nuts
1400g is either very big $$ or getting sketchy

many people build up wheels that are far too light for them, or get really light rims (like crests) but use heavy spokes, when in reality they'd be better off using a heavier rim, since they're not willing to fork out $$ for bladed spokes.

Don't get AC wheels, they're shite. Light though. Cheaper, almost as light and far more durable can be had with a set of hand laced wheels.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The giant 29er wheels weigh about 2350g, which in case you haven't worked out, is shedloads.
The wheels on the Anthem 29er are about 1930gms from memory. I suspect those on the 2011 XTC might be a tad lighter than the 2010 versions (at 2350)..

Petero

Likes Dirt
The wheels on the Anthem 29er are about 1930gms from memory. I suspect those on the 2011 XTC might be a tad lighter than the 2010 versions (at 2350)..
According the the specs, both the 2011 XTC and Anthem 29ers have the same rims...

The only weight difference would be between the SLX rear hub on the XTC and the DT swiss on the Anthem

Last edited:

trickle

Likes Dirt
my 2 year old 355's where bullet proof and never flat spotted on my hardtail.
Sorry dude, got to disagree with you there. I am VERY disappointed with my 355's

2 months old, 355's on Hope pro2's DT revolutions 70kg rider running tubeless with 28psi. Raced once ( half epic) riden less then half a dozen times... Sunday afternoon fire road ride resulted in this:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/trickle1977/P1040697.jpg

Replacing with a crest, last chance No tubes and DW's

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no around 1950 as others have said and they meet EU testing standards, can't say the same for other stuff. So far wheels on XTC have held up well with aggressive riding at YYs etc..

charltons

Likes Bikes
Spoke length?

Does anyone know anything about spoke length. I have seen the various spoke calculators but has anyone built up a set of Hope hubs with Stan's ZTR rims? Do most 29 ers have only double cross overs or triples??? Has anyone gone down this road. I have built a road set about 16 years ago, so I am keen to have a go.

Also are people generally riding 32 or 36 holes?

Cheers

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Charltons -

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Awesome tool, some stuff may not be in the database but you can find the relevant numbers on manufacturer's sites / web searching.... or just by measuring.

Always always 3x for MTB. Need a good brace for the torsion of disc brakes / low gears.

32h or 36h is up to you, you can get a bit more stiffness out of a 36h setup but most won't worry about it.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
no around 1950 as others have said and they meet EU testing standards, can't say the same for other stuff. So far wheels on XTC have held up well with aggressive riding at YYs etc..
I'm not sure that Australian mountain bikers are too concerned about European consumer testing standards. Would you be prepared to pay an extra $10 per Stan's rim to pay for the testing and certification process?

- Joel

wittman13

Likes Dirt
many people build up wheels that are far too light for them, or get really light rims (like crests) but use heavy spokes, when in reality they'd be better off using a heavier rim, since they're not willing to fork out $$ for bladed spokes.
Are you saying using bladed spokes with a crest rim is a better compromise for a weight weenie?

I have some crest rims on the way and am tossing up using either bladed spokes or some super comps. I ride XC and don't like to get my wheels of the ground. Any commentary would be appreciated.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I'm saying that if you choose crest rims, then you're probably after a genuinely light set of wheels, and therefore bladed spokes are a good idea. There isn't much that could convince me that crests are a daily use set of wheels, so I guess durability isn't too much of a concern - maybe you could pinch pennies and use revs or supercomps.

Competition spokes add ~120g over bladed spokes, If you're going have a not-particularly-light set of wheels, there's no point using the second lightest rim on the market. If you're wheels are going to be neither cheap nor light, you might as well make them super stiff and reliable and use a something like an arch rim.

Having said that though, most of the wheels i've laced up have been for road bikes where there is more variables, such as spoke count and whatnot - if you're unsure about what you want best bet is probably to go with whatever the person who is putting your wheels together thinks.

wittman13

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the clarification. I now understand and think that I will go with the bladed spokes. And keep the XT wheel set for everyday use.

Time will tell if I have done the right thing, but you live and you learn.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
no around 1950 as others have said
2010 XTC 29 wheels are around the 2400g weight, and don't care what anyone says, but that is way to heavy!!! The 2011 XTC wheelset has lost some weight due to the rim change. Anthem 29er wheels weigh around 1950g.
I weighed my set of XTC wheels and michaelg's Anthem wheels today, to discover a lovely 500g weight difference. Half a kilo of rotational mass.
I'm still waiting to build a new set of wheels but Crest rims are very short in stock. I still think that Crest rims, comp spokes and hope hubs will be the best combo of light weight and reliability. Bladed spokes are just way to pricey at $4.50 each!! I have been told to stay away from from rev spokes unless I'm prepared to true the wheels every 2 weeks.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still think that Crest rims, comp spokes and hope hubs will be the best combo of light weight and reliability.
I would suggest that Arch rims are the best combo of light weight and reliability.
Crest are more a race rim.

Agree with C Dunlop's assessment a couple of posts up.

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Fulcrum Red Metal XLR

Anyone else here using the Fulcrum Red Metal XLR? I fitted my Hifi Deluxe with those on recommendation from MyMountain on purchase of said bike in July this year.

Spec says 1850 grams. I've never actually had the tyres off, so haven't weighed them myself yet - they're running tubeless from the shop (XDX tyres are great at ~30psi). Except for a spoke coming off the rear on the 2nd ride, they've been good after shop trued them up - however as they're the only wheels I've used on the 29er I don't have any basis for comparison. My 26" wheels were 12 years old at the time of the bike upgrade, well with the exception of the rear that got replaced 6 months before which an el cheapo after a spectacular v-brake fatigue failure at a very inconvenient time. :)

For 2011 it looks like the XLR has been superceded by the "almost 100g lighter" XL model.

They weren't cheap but I thought stiffer/lighter 29er wheels than the stocks would be worth it when transitioning from 26ers, also as the failure of my 26er rear really sucked balls (5 minutes before the start of Gravity 2009).

More pics here.

hilo

Likes Bikes
Anyone else here using the Fulcrum Red Metal XLR? I fitted my Hifi Deluxe with those on recommendation from MyMountain on purchase of said bike in July this year.

Spec says 1850 grams. I've never actually had the tyres off, so haven't weighed them myself yet - they're running tubeless from the shop (XDX tyres are great at ~30psi). Except for a spoke coming off the rear on the 2nd ride, they've been good after shop trued them up - however as they're the only wheels I've used on the 29er I don't have any basis for comparison. My 26" wheels were 12 years old at the time of the bike upgrade, well with the exception of the rear that got replaced 6 months before which an el cheapo after a spectacular v-brake fatigue failure at a very inconvenient time. :)

For 2011 it looks like the XLR has been superceded by the "almost 100g lighter" XL model.

They weren't cheap but I thought stiffer/lighter 29er wheels than the stocks would be worth it when transitioning from 26ers, also as the failure of my 26er rear really sucked balls (5 minutes before the start of Gravity 2009).

More pics here.
I was looking at those myself--most reviews are really positive. I spoke with the guys at My Mountain and they said they were excellent, but tbh I decided to dish out a bit less $$$$ and get the XT Wheels. I just put those on (was sick last week) and have thrown on my first tubeless tyres.

Wasn't sure how they would go for my weight which is 106 at worst and about 95 kg at best (I am over 6'6").

RE: tubeless tyres, I have XDXs from stock (I have a HiFi Pro) but they were pretty crappy for my inexperienced riding in muddy/wet stuff we have had. I decided to be a bit more cautious with my tread choice and I thought I would give the Specialized Purgatory / Captain 2BLISS a go (front/back setup). Just installed them with latex sealant. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

./me kisses compressor.

Will let you know how it is--going to Lake Mountain tomorrow.

HiLo

Nath8

Likes Dirt
I would suggest that Arch rims are the best combo of light weight and reliability.

As I'm not the heaviest rider around, I'll give the Crest's a go. Read plenty of good things about them and if I'm wrong I'll buy some arch rims and replace them.
C Dunlop assessed American Classic wheels as shite a couple of posts up, but I would disagree, as I have used them in 26" version for quite some time and they have been great. I'm considering whether to strip the wheelset and keep the hubs for another 29er wheelset.
Time will tell.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Rim Weight

2010 XTC 29 wheels are around the 2400g weight, and don't care what anyone says, but that is way to heavy!!! The 2011 XTC wheelset has lost some weight due to the rim change. Anthem 29er wheels weigh around 1950g.
I weighed my set of XTC wheels and michaelg's Anthem wheels today, to discover a lovely 500g weight difference. Half a kilo of rotational mass.
I'm still waiting to build a new set of wheels but Crest rims are very short in stock. I still think that Crest rims, comp spokes and hope hubs will be the best combo of light weight and reliability. Bladed spokes are just way to pricey at $4.50 each!! I have been told to stay away from from rev spokes unless I'm prepared to true the wheels every 2 weeks.
Hey Nath is that a bare wheel comparison or is it with tyres and tubes ?

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
I was looking at those myself--most reviews are really positive. I spoke with the guys at My Mountain and they said they were excellent, but tbh I decided to dish out a bit less $$$$ and get the XT Wheels. I just put those on (was sick last week) and have thrown on my first tubeless tyres.

Wasn't sure how they would go for my weight which is 106 at worst and about 95 kg at best (I am over 6'6").
The XT wheels was the next recommendation, and they spoke very warmly of them too - in the end I just ended for the Fulcrums anyway. They didn't have the Pro available for me, so had to go the Deluxe (I think I got the 2nd last 21" in Australia) - thus more room in that regard. I'm only 6'3" myself, around 87kg but add Camelbak, 661 gear etc for 95kg easily loaded.

RE: tubeless tyres, I have XDXs from stock (I have a HiFi Pro) but they were pretty crappy for my inexperienced riding in muddy/wet stuff we have had. I decided to be a bit more cautious with my tread choice and I thought I would give the Specialized Purgatory / Captain 2BLISS a go (front/back setup). Just installed them with latex sealant. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
What pressure did you run the XDXs at? I was told they're rubbish at higher PSIs, but around 30 and I guess a fraction down they really come into their own. I've only ridden the you yangs in mainly dry conditions on them, and one wet Lysterfield (it was fine that day but had been wet earlier that week == still quite wet!), and they felt awesome in all regards, but a lot of that could have been from the whole 26 to 29 and tubes to tubeless, 1998 to 2010 transition as well. My old bike was a 1998 Trek Y22. :)

Will let you know how it is--going to Lake Mountain tomorrow.
Enjoy! :)

hilo

Likes Bikes
They didn't have the Pro available for me, so had to go the Deluxe (I think I got the 2nd last 21" in Australia) - thus more room in that regard. I'm only 6'3" myself, around 87kg but add Camelbak, 661 gear etc for 95kg easily loaded.
I have a 23" Hi Fi Pro--I could not fit on any stock size hardtails, and the 23" came in to Trek Australia meant for someone else, but they couldn't remember whom. So my buddy who runs a shop managed to get a decent deal for me on it. It's pretty freaking big.

What pressure did you run the XDXs at? I was told they're rubbish at higher PSIs, but around 30 and I guess a fraction down they really come into their own. I've only ridden the you yangs in mainly dry conditions on them, and one wet Lysterfield (it was fine that day but had been wet earlier that week == still quite wet!), and they felt awesome in all regards, but a lot of that could have been from the whole 26 to 29 and tubes to tubeless, 1998 to 2010 transition as well. My old bike was a 1998 Trek Y22. :)

Enjoy! :)
Well my only experience of the XDX's was running tubes, so they were pumped up around 35 or so. They were pretty useless in the muddy conditions towards the end of the winter, and I found that while they were OK riding through Smith's Gully, when I switched to Kenda Nevegals I had much better grip. I am pretty new to mountain biking (only a few months) so I gather a lot of this is my lack of experience as well.

Also, out riding near my house (Hurstbridge), it's pretty moist foresty stuff at the moment, and I need some solid grip for the grassy/leafy/water saturated bits.

We'll see how the Specialized tyres compare. I can't believe I could find tubeless 29er tyres in stock for such a low price -- $60.00 each at Fitzroy Revolution.

Cheers!

HiLo

dyon

Likes Bikes

Wouldn't rider weight play a part in that too?

An 85kg rider's race only wheelset might be OK for a 65kg rider every day?

(At least this is what I'm hoping from my 355's).