Advice for Bottlerocket build

fatboyonabike

Eats Squid
there is a great but very unreasonable 2nd hand market for "retro" 26" parts at the moment, offload what you want to upgrade for an exorbitant price on FB or Scumtree and you should have enough to buy what ever you need in modern specs

phillynight

Likes Bikes
And maybe a coveted spot in the douche thread.
hahah nah I'm never going to gouge fellow bikers if I sell stuff, might even hang on to the norco and gold 26's to ride street stuff and grocery getter if I have enough parts leftover. Thanks to all of ya for the build advice, I am going to start ordering parts today and will doco the build here if ya wanna see how it goes!

phillynight

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, build is moving along and need some advice on the cranks/BB... I looked up the 2006 Bottlerocket and the specs I found say:

Crankarms Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm
Bottom Bracket Truvativ GigaPipe Team

Will this set up work okay for me?

Truvativ E400 1-fach MTB Square Crank - 38 Teeth - 170mm - New

Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL ISIS Bike/Cycle Bottom Bracket - 118x68/68E/73mm

Which leaves me also in search of a chain guide which I believe the specs are ISCG OLD... this could be a little more difficult to find :/

pink poodle

Our man isn't in the West
Don't waste your money on they crank!

Also that crank won't fit the bottom bracket you linked to. They have different axles.

Pretty sure any standard 68/73mm bottom bracket and crank will fit. 175mm arms are petty darn long!

creaky

The obviative
Assuming a standard threaded 68/73mm bottom bracket shell, just grab a cheap black set of Shimano lower end cranks and a Shimano external bottom bracket.

Will this be run as a 1x? If so, separate purchase of a narrow wide chainring and/or a chainguide would be a good idea.

Probably the best option is to post a WTB thread on Rotorburn.

phillynight

Likes Bikes
Awesome thanks! Yeah I only need a 1x.. I'll post up a WTB and maybe I can get lucky with picking up a few parts to get the build up and running and then upgrade as I go once it's rolling :)

pink poodle

Actually noticed that when I saw the photos next to each other. Can you recommend a good set up for me?
Buy a new Shimano zee. Or the inexpensive generic Race face knock off I have in the garage.

Work out what iscg you need and get the relevant mounting guide.

Narrow/Wide ring is kind of irrelevant if you are using a guide. Don't rely on the clutch + nw ring if you plan to ride the bike like it is designed.

MARKL

Eats Squid
2 out of three aint bad....air, stanchions perfect...

What have you got against a 1.5 steerer?

pink poodle

2 out of three aint bad....air, stanchions perfect...

What have you got against a 1.5 steerer?
Nothing against a 1.5 steerer except that I o
Already have a set with a 1.5 steerer and a frame to put them on. Getting a 1.5 straight head tube these days is hard work.

What colour lowers?