Age is no boundary!

Bodin

GMBC
I'm 32 (almost 33), have been a commuter since I was about 21 and got in to MTB racing through mates when I was about 28. Did the Simpson Desert classic about a month before I turned 30 and am now about 4 months away from being a dad for the first time, so the riding's taking a little bit of a back seat for the time being.

This doesn't mean I'll stop, though. Even though I got hit by a car 2 nights ago, I'm still itching to get back on the bike and hoping my not-quite-as-resilient-as-it-used-to-be body is right to go in a couple of weeks for the Scott 24hr race. My riding buddies have been some of the best mates I've had over the last few years and I don't want to let them down.

Like others have said, it's a little bit of sanity in an otherwise insane world and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
I recently turned 34, I’ve only just got into mountain bike riding (about the time I joined here). I don’t get out as often as I like but I really enjoy the times I do. I actually got into the sport to do XC and get a bit fitter, but I just don’t have the to train enough to do too many events, so these days it is mainly just a case of hitting Manly Dam up for a few laps on Saturday morning with a few of the guys I have met of this site. It is great way to start the weekend, and I have to say I’ve meet some absolute champs from this site. Best investment I have ever made, after 20 years of playing Rugby League and Union my knees have given me a lot of trouble and I can’t really do anymore running so this is about as good a cardio workout I can get. I sit on my fat arse at work all day (and most nights) so a quick weekend ride and couple of mid week morning trips to the gym is the only exercise I can get.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Riding will keep you young.
I'm 53 yo + ride regularly w guys from teens to mid 60s.
Been riding bikes all my life including mtbikes since 1990.
Commute to work 3 days a week on my bike from 1990 --a Shogun prarie breaker now highly modified w almost none of the original parts.
I bought some land with the intention of building tracks-- we now have a full on downhill track,still build single tracks wherever, do jumps not huge ,+ havent broken anything since a fellow rider ran into me in his car 18 months ago but I cant hold that against him since I was railing a blind corner on our road.

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
bugger, I've been meaning to say g'day in this thread, but my alzheimer's must be kicking in early :rolleyes:

36 here...

I ride anything on two or one wheel... moto's, mtb, bmx, uni, basically anything... I might be shit, but I'm keen ;),

oh, but NO lycra!!! it makes my "six-pack" look like a six-pack of soggy muffins! :eek:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
-- we now have a full on downhill track,still build single tracks wherever, do jumps not huge ,+ havent broken anything since a fellow rider ran into me in his car 18 months ago but I cant hold that against him since I was railing a blind corner on our road.
:D You should join us for a ride. Sounds like you'd fit in, no problem at all... Ha ha ha ha.

My latest stunt-scapade was riding down the stair well in our Coolum Hotel last weekend. It was midnight, a few brews had been consumed, full-face helmet, DJ bike and 12 floors fast!!

mtb1611

Seymour
My riding buddies have been some of the best mates I've had over the last few years and I don't want to let them down.
Great point. My best mates are ones that I've met through cycling, and we've been through a lot together both on and off the bike: deaths, births, marriages, tragedies etc. These are people I love and care about and I often wonder what my life would be like today, had that silly green and black speckled Diamond Back Ascent not caught my eye in Liverpool City Cyles way back in July 1992!

gixxer

Likes Bikes
47 here, only been mtb since April..:)...ride with a group from work most Saturday mornings at Lysterfield, Melbourne.....what a buzz..love it..:)
best fun i've had for years...

LIAM?!

Banned
47? Very nice, my dad ride's my bike and he is 52, but he rides it up the driveway and says to me "that's enough excitement for one day"

well done mate!

covert wolf

Likes Dirt
why is it all you guys ride yet my dad doesnt even want to know about it :confused: For some reason, anyone over 35 in my area is super conservative... They could learn a thing or two from you guys.

LIAM?!

Banned
If you dont do it at a young age (like freeride, downhill, extreme xc :D)

Then it comes across as a real extreme extreme sport, where older people have the brain to think about the consequences, because they want to live longer because they know how good life actually is.

Young adults or kids, do think about the consequences but then they just go ahead and do it :D

bushpilot

Likes Dirt
Good thread, I'm 40 and been riding about 3 1/2 years, used to ride everywhere when I was a kid mostly BMX clearing tabletops and doubles etc but not nowadays, do XC and all sorts of trails, love it, keeps me sane and keeps me fit. My riding buddy is 41 and we hit everything within reason, also ride with others sometimes that are younger and even with my 17yo son who can't keep up :D it's an awesome lifestyle with many benefits like the like minded people you meet out and about, it's even good on your own but with a different focus, can't stop, won't stop.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Good thread, I'm 40 and been riding about 3 1/2 years, used to ride everywhere when I was a kid mostly BMX clearing tabletops and doubles etc but not nowadays, do XC and all sorts of trails, love it, keeps me sane and keeps me fit. My riding buddy is 41 and we hit everything within reason, also ride with others sometimes that are younger and even with my 17yo son who can't keep up :D it's an awesome lifestyle with many benefits like the like minded people you meet out and about, it's even good on your own but with a different focus, can't stop, won't stop.
Awesome! You should get yourself a DJ bike or BMX again. Nothing like practicising some jumps for the trails :D

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hello brother!
Sunday arvo ride sounds choice,Grose head,bees nest,blue gum,34 clicks of pure joy!

sprocket

Likes Dirt
i didn't read this thread but this is my little bit... i raced as a kid back in the mid 90's as an xc rider in the under 18's...

and just done a few race's as a downhiller last year in the open clase. and had a ton of fun.. now for the 2008 season i'm going in expert as a downhiller and having a ball... the guys i ride with are in there mid 20's and love the fact that i'm going for "gold"....

as far as i see its all about the fun and just getting out there... who cares about coming anywhere, i just want to mess it up with a bunch of guys who love doing something in common and i think thats what moutain biking is all about..

bushpilot

Likes Dirt
Hello brother!
Sunday arvo ride sounds choice,Grose head,bees nest,blue gum,34 clicks of pure joy!
G'day mate, sounds like heaven with the weather we have at the moment but alas I must earn a living, gotta pay for the new forks coming up in a month or so but monday/ tuesday are likely, probably will have my mate from work coming along on tuesday, he wants to finish that exact ride after snapping a chain on the last attempt.

bushpilot

Likes Dirt
Awesome! You should get yourself a DJ bike or BMX again. Nothing like practicising some jumps for the trails :D
Thanks mate, my son has a new sasquatch so maybe I should find my balls and sneak out on it and huck stealth when he's not looking, now where are my balls sure they're around here somewhere they not as big as they used to be so they're a little hard to find. :)

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, my son has a new sasquatch so maybe I should find my balls and sneak out on it and huck stealth when he's not looking, now where are my balls sure they're around here somewhere they not as big as they used to be so they're a little hard to find. :)
Check with your wife - she might have them :D I have to borrow mine back from time to time! ha ha ha ha ha ha

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Now jw,
they are there,you got 3 to prove it.
No,stick with the norco h/t,no hucking,no hucking...now repeat after me,no hucking......
Now about those balls,i seen them when doing 55 down bees nest,that don't happen every day!Don't sell yourself short!

MMelissa

Likes Bikes
I think its awesome to see the diverse age groups out there riding.

My Dad rides and surfs every weekend and he's 50. I started riding at 23. My boyfriend is 30 and I know you won't ever get him off bikes until something forces him to.