Age is no boundary!

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all, ive just checked this tread after months, 4153 views thats Farkin awsome :) iam stoked there's so many Old farkiners out there just like me, Beers & Cheers to all.....
I completely missed this thread !! Well done SmokedHam for reviving it !

I also noticed after perusing all 14 odd pages that Grip hasn't posted....

could silence be the affirmation we were all looking for ? :D

Heading into my 36th year - so I am guessing in the same year(s) as Techno, Johnny, NCR and alike...

yup - 1971 to 1972 is a good vintage :cool:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Hey all, ive just checked this tread after months, 4153 views thats Farkin awsome :) iam stoked there's so many Old farkiners out there just like me, Beers & Cheers to all.....
Hey Old Man! That wasn't you doing no-footer stoppies at Southbank with the BMX kids last night was it??? Or doing high speed bunnies over the grass gardens??? :D

Busted!!!!!!!!!!

axertes

Likes Dirt
I'm 23 and just started. I find it heartening not only that the youthfully challenged continue to ride, but also that some of you started late too - Bodin for example.

I find it kind of intimidating that there are 13 year olds that are WAAY better than me. I know I shouldn't care what they think, but I get embarrassed nonetheless.

Anyone else feel the same?

I dunno, I can imagine going out for a ride with older riders being much more comfortable, whether they're more or less skillful or fit.

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
I'm 45 next week and ride with a bunch of blokes whose average age would be similar. We have about 15-20 regulars on a Sat arvo. Youngest would be 24 and oldest about 52.

There are about 3 young guns (32 and under) who are good B and A graders. The rest of us make up the numbers. We usually put in 2 or 3 teams into the Scott/Mont 24 hour 6 men teams and come in above average.

I mostly just do XC but am getting interested in freeriding but at my age dont want any real nasty injuries due to work/family committments. Got a full face helmet but havnt donned it yet as I dont have any other protective gear. Will eventually get some pads etc as my current ride is a Yeti 575 so probably o.k for an allround Freeride/occaisonal XC racer/24 hour.

I am getting my daughters and wife into it. We went down to Canberra recently and they all rode about 80% of the Stromlo course (albeir slowly). They really enjoyed Sparrow hill...The girls are 8 and 12 so if they stick at it they could end up being quite good...they crash a lot and dont cry much so that is encouraging.

ollieo

Likes Dirt
ancient

51 and so loving it . last year dislocated thumb,dislocated shoulder,cracked ribs twice,broken toe,bone bruise and lots of skin left on the deck but the highs still outweigh the lows 100 to 1. Looking good for the morning.no rain for a few days so the local is nice and hard. keep riding

keldave1

Likes Dirt
I'm 23 and just started. I find it heartening not only that the youthfully challenged continue to ride, but also that some of you started late too - Bodin for example.

I find it kind of intimidating that there are 13 year olds that are WAAY better than me. I know I shouldn't care what they think, but I get embarrassed nonetheless.

Anyone else feel the same?

I dunno, I can imagine going out for a ride with older riders being much more comfortable, whether they're more or less skillful or fit.

I hear you, I'm 28 and have had a few health problems to get over. That doesn't stop me having a good crack at it.

My work mates think I'm too childish because I ride something without a motor or drive around in a big dumped v8. But when I ask them what they did on the weekend all I get in reply is that they sat around drinking beer and watching T.V. (which can be fun). Then They ask me what I did.:D:D:D

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I completely missed this thread !! Well done SmokedHam for reviving it !

I also noticed after perusing all 14 odd pages that Grip hasn't posted....

could silence be the affirmation we were all looking for ? :D

Heading into my 36th year - so I am guessing in the same year(s) as Techno, Johnny, NCR and alike...

yup - 1971 to 1972 is a good vintage :cool:
71 was a good vintage for penfolds grange,72 not so!
71-great year with a great vintage,long lived wine that should go on and on!
72-Not such a great vintage,drink early as it will lose flavour and character in the years that follow.
Hmmmm...wonder if that is true of us humans of that vintage,me,66 was another classic vintage!!

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Mature with age

I was born in the same year 1972 and got back into DH riding after 8 years away from it last year, the body is older, the mind is slower and it does hurt more when you come off..... BUT the fun is still the same.........

Intense

Squid
hi guys old farkers rip !!!
i am 44 next week current vico masters state champ have stepped up to expert this year running 4th out of 50 riders podium at barjarg a mans track most riders in class half my age last race at buller qualified 4th
steve and ian from masters would have qualified to!
am nothing special just very driven any one can do this ,

remember the limits that are set are ones you set yourself

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
Yes its still fun but Fark it hurts to crash ... also the fear factor is a lot higher .Im 34 this year and have just gotten my 28 year old wife into it.
Shes finding learning slow cos she has the fear of an adult . Loves it though.

hi guys old farkers rip !!!
i am 44 next week current vico masters state champ
See the crap us oldies have to put up with...

"Masters" Nice word for Retirees, old farts, gerries. lol:D

Certainly hope no one wants to see any "Mastery? from me when I get a MTB! :)

DeBloot

Feeling old
i started riding in late 2005 at the ripe old age of 43. used to surf but sort of got sick of the hassling to get waves in sydney. i've joined the local crew to go for rides and now it's all my small mind can think about. i've hurt myself more and spent more money than i should have- but i've also had more fun