All day knee pads

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Just a general question.

My training rides these days are getting upto 60+ kilometres of technical riding. Fast, Jumps and berms as well as the unfortunate mix of hills to climb.

Mate of mine has just had the inevitable happen and on one of these rides came a cropper and tore his knee open nicking the tendon.

Can anyone suggest a light weight kneepad that is good enough for 4-5 hours in the saddle?

I have troy lee's but even after an hour they are starting to get pretty uncomfortable.

I expect it might be one of those impossible scenarios to fill but just in case...

Note, it knee'ds (mind the pun) to just convert a major injury to a minor. Not prevent any injury at all.

Thanks

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Some people like Dainese Trailskin kneepads. They seem to get good reviews...

I have POC vpd 2.0 kneepads. you will sweat a bit in them, but They stay put and I can wear them for hours. They have saved me from a few hits.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G-Form for me. Great impact resistance and lightweight & comfortable too. They can be worn all year long.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
G-Form for me. Great impact resistance and lightweight & comfortable too. They can be worn all year long.
I've got the POC VPD knee long which I have loved, but my missus got some gforms and I gave them a run, really comfy and stay put, this would be my recommendation for long duration rides without sacrificing too much protection.

I wasn't wearing them during a recent xc race when I should have been. Probably wouldn't have been off the bike for as long.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
Santa got me these for Xmas, IXS Flows, have been wearing them all morning and so far feel like they may fit the bill. Will ride in them tomorrow and report back,ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419462799.047064.jpg

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm using 661 Rage with no problems.

Had one slide down in a crash so I still copped a minor knee graze, but it took the initial impact like a boss.

Haven't tried them in summer yet.

Corka

Likes Bikes
+1 for POC VPD.
I use the DH Long Knee but have also tried the standard knee. Both are comfortable and stayed in place (didn't find any difference in comfort between the two)

Hools

Likes Dirt
IXS Flows. Enough protection for general trail riding, comfy enough that you forget you're wearing them.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I don't really believe there are kneepads that are cool enough to wear in an Australian summer... Your knees are going to broil regardless... I'm going to have to get some of the new generation though...my knees have been copping a real pizzling lately...probably go with those bee hive looking ones...look like the best airflow...

teK--

Eats Squid
POC VPD 2.0 rode it on 50kms at mt buller race they felt fine and are more protection for the really rocky stuff that would tear right through light pads like the G Forms.

Super comfy don't ever feel too hot or uncomfortable.