All day knee pads

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The latest Fox Launch Enduro pads are very comfortable for long rides and climbs, but I'm not sure they offer much protection other than abrasion resistance. Seems to be a bit of a tradeoff: if you want something that will take the big hits in rocky terrain it's never going to as comfortable as the 'glorified knee warmer' style of lightweight flexible pads. The best compromise I've found so far is the Troy Lee 5400s, but I still find myself strapping them to my camel back for big climbs. Wouldn't mind trying the Alpinestars Paragons - they might be the best of both worlds. POC would be an expensive experiment.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Fox Launch Pro work for me. I forget I'm wearing them unless it's really baking but then anything is going to be hot.

kand

Likes Dirt
I promised myself that if I found a pair of knee pads that are comfortable I'd wear them all the time: G Form. Can't feel them. The best imho

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had some 661 cheapys, comfy but weren't the best protection.
Got some Fox Launch Pros, love 'em. Happy to wear them all day. A bit sweaty but not too bad. Do wear out though, mine are getting pretty tatty.
I used to wear full knee braces all day long on the moto so any knee guard is ok really.
After all the hype I go some POC knee guards. They are not as comfortable as the Launch Pros for me and don't offer as much coverage on the sides. They are ok but not as good as some at half the price.
I've got some full length 661s I'll be trying on the lifts this week.

I've found the pocs to offer good protection, had a few nasty spills in rock gardens that would have been very messy without them. They aren't restrictive and stay put , although certainly get a bit warm in the summer months.

DJR

Likes Dirt
G forms are great. Just see if you can try some on though, bought mine online using the sizing chart, xl would have been better than L and its not like my legs are tree trunk wide...

omac

Likes Dirt
I ride with my Race face Ambush D3O for almost every ride, they will take a few weeks to settle into shape but then they are very comfy & I forget I'm even wearing them. My only complaint is the rough Velcro on the top strap will catch on the inside of your shorts but I just bought a couple of strips of the soft stuff to cover the excess & now its no longer a problem.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Knee-Shin-Pads,56/Race-Face/Ambush,12697

D3O is some pretty amazing stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my83Isw4w3U

ForkeSeal

Likes Bikes
Fox Launch Enduro work well for me. Have been riding with them for a few weeks now and I always forget i'm wearing them. Just did the Alpine Epic Trail in them. Have had a couple of crashes that weren't huge but would have taken off a heap of skin and they did their job perfectly. Saying that I wouldn't wear them for DH.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I've got the RF d30 and they're awesome. The warmer they get, the more they conform to your legs and thus get more comfortable. RF says the top strap is made the way it is so the hooks don't scratch legs, I also just bought some extra loops from Spotlight.
I don't own any Gform but i've got to give them a -1billion. Was at a shop and decided to try some arms/elbows on. Figured I usually wear a S so would start there. Couldn't get the bitch past my wrist... Went for an M and couldn't get it past my forearm. I finally managed to get a L on and needed help from two people to get it off. WTF gform, wtf. Nearly bought it as they almost ripped trying to get it off. The circulation was being cut off quite painfully for the 2 mins I had them on. I'm not Trogdor, I don't have beefy arms.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
Short review on the IXS Flow's.

I have done 3 rides in them so far, a 40km rail trail ride and 2 x 30km rides with a mixture of rail trail and single track. The last ride was rail trail, road climb (inverness road if anyone knows it) and around 15km of single track with a good mix of fast descending sketchy stuff and techy peddally stuff. Temps on the last 2 rides were around the high 30's.

Firstly be wary of the sizing. The Flow's only come in small, medium and large. I have fairly large legs
(50cm @ 10cm above centre of knee) and they felt a little tight when I first put them on. The first ride they were a little uncomfortable for the first 15 minutes until they had been adjusted a few times and the right spot was found for them to sit, as well as the right amount of tension for the velcro strap. Once this was sorted they turned out to be quite comfortable. One thing I was surprised at was how cool they were when under way as they have little holes all through the cap that allow quite a bit of air flow that can be felt on your knees.

So far I have been impressed with these pads. They never move, stay quite cool and they are getting more and more comfortable as they break in. They still feel a smidge tight around the quads but I have no problem pulling them on before every ride. I haven't stacked in them yet so I will have to follow this up when the inevitable happens.

cheers.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I ended up buying some Dainese trailskins from Wiggle. $70 something. I wore them riding at Stromlo for a day and for a week riding every day in Tathra (2-3 hours each time). Both areas were quite warm, mid to high 20s.
For once something bought online fit perfectly, I followed their sizing and chose the Medium size as per their chart and my knee joint circumference. The velcro on the top and bottom snug the fit down well. The pads did not move at all while riding. They weigh 120g each. I only had 1 off when I took a berm a bit too tight and washed the front wheel out, going down on my right knee. No problems. It was a sandy gravel surface but I would have lost some of my tissue paper skin had the pad not been in place.
The knee moves well in the pad and there was no chafing.
The ventilation was good. I felt the air blowing onto my knees, particularly when I had a bit of sweat worked up. I did not really notice the pads while riding unless I thought about them.
They have a low profile and did not interfere with my shorts.

Very happy with them. Recommended.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Interesting thread, I don't actually wear knee pads or have any. I strongly believe that if I did I'd ride a bit harder on corners etc. So far I've been lucky enough to land on my feet when coming unstuck. I'm sure it won't last as I'm wanting to do more jumps / harder technical at speed. I'm heading to stromlo in the next few weeks.....not sure if it would be worth looking into getting some for riding there or not.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Interesting thread, I don't actually wear knee pads or have any. I strongly believe that if I did I'd ride a bit harder on corners etc. So far I've been lucky enough to land on my feet when coming unstuck. I'm sure it won't last as I'm wanting to do more jumps / harder technical at speed. I'm heading to stromlo in the next few weeks.....not sure if it would be worth looking into getting some for riding there or not.
up to you mate, but a sweaty knee is far better than a smashed knee.