All day knee pads

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
10957902_10153084543796913_1880506725_n.jpg

This is my TLD pads after a crash the other day. a rock hidden in the grass pretty much sliced right through.
Pretty happy it wasn't my skin to say the least

stickso

Likes Dirt
Quick update on my Fox Launch Pro kneepads - I was at Thredbo on the flow trail last weekend and no issues or complaints. It was the longest I'd been on the bike for ages and they didn't move and were comfortable the whole time. They're shaped really well to bend with your leg. My mate had some 661 kneepads which were bunching on the sides whenever he bent his knees but he was happy with them.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update on my Fox Launch Pro kneepads - I was at Thredbo on the flow trail last weekend and no issues or complaints. It was the longest I'd been on the bike for ages and they didn't move and were comfortable the whole time. They're shaped really well to bend with your leg. My mate had some 661 kneepads which were bunching on the sides whenever he bent his knees but he was happy with them.
I love my Launch Pro's for all day comfort but I did have a big OTB and one slipped down and I cut up my kneecap. I recently tried my POC ones again, definitely not as comfortable and my kneecap sweated and rubbed a little but they do seem to take more force to get them to move. Tried some full length 661s, they were shite. Slid down and were no way as comfy as the Fox. Taken up wearing pants for DH and my Fox guards are the best underneath, I'll persist a bit more with the POCs for all mountain/Enduro.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
For all the riders that are rocking the POC VPD 2.0 knees, would you recommend going small or medium if you're in between sizing? Do they stretch out over time?

I'm a small fella and normally would go small, but after measuring my calves and quads which are a bit more overdeveloped then usual I'm adamant I could tightly fit into a small. I'm just concerned that if I get a medium it will stretch out over time, get loose and defeat the purpose of riding with pads on.

Same with elbows.. I'm a gym whore i.e body not in proportion

For all the riders that are rocking the POC VPD 2.0 knees, would you recommend going small or medium if you're in between sizing? Do they stretch out over time?

I'm a small fella and normally would go small, but after measuring my calves and quads which are a bit more overdeveloped then usual I'm adamant I could tightly fit into a small. I'm just concerned that if I get a medium it will stretch out over time, get loose and defeat the purpose of riding with pads on.

Same with elbows.. I'm a gym whore i.e body not in proportion
I've only had mine for a few months so maybe i haven't had them long enough, however there is no noticeable stretching at all. I wash them once a month so the sweat doesn't damage the elastic. so far so good!

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
What size are you and do you remember your measurements? My calves were 34-36cm depending on if I measure the top of my calf or middle of the calf. Quad is about 42cm which is within the realms of a M

What about length of the pad? Do they vary with different sizes? E.g if I got a medium would they go down to my knees because I'm 2 inches off being a legal midget? I can't try one on for size because no one her has the vpd 2.0s!

Measurements were roughly 50 and 40, thigh and calf respectively. A large fits me perfectly.
The knee pads come down far enough to just finish at the largest part of my calf. The calf strap is a little higher so you can tighten a bit more so that the knee pad doesn't fall down.
I found the size guide on the POC website accurate.

If I was in your shoes, i'd go the medium.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Have had those POC's for about 18 months using them on average once a week for 2-3hr rides and haven't noticed any stretching.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Reviving an old thread.

I ended up with the Poc VPD 2.0 knee pads for DH.. Going to start wearing them for trail riding now after a nice OTB on the weekend and losing some skin.

Has anyone tried the new POC VPD Air range? They have only been out a month or two but they've been promoted as being very light and breathable.

Anyone use the POC VPD 2.0 elbow pads for trail riding? How it is heat/comfort wise?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reviving an old thread.

Anyone use the POC VPD 2.0 elbow pads for trail riding? How it is heat/comfort wise?
Use them if I'm riding somewhere with rock gardens, they are very sweaty but I don't notice any discomfort due to heat.

aRogue

Likes Bikes
I have these. Been using them over a couple months now and while they do the job just fine, i feel as if there's much better knee pads out there.

It fits well enough that's it's comfortable and whilst riding you don't notice it. Due to the opening on the back of the knee, sweating isn't an issue and there's no rubbing against the fabric and your skin which is a major plus.

However the overall look and build of it is extremely bulky. The pictures appear to make it look snug and compact but it's anything but irl. On top of that, i had a crash a couple weeks back and landing on my right knee causing some pretty bad bruising even with the pads on. I'm not sure if the protective padding is rubbish or if it saved my knee from breaking in two from a pretty hard landing.

Btw, that's not my leg...

p4pb4051413.jpg

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Fuse dfs knee. They retail for about $90. They fit like a fine leather driving glove and never move. I have had huge offs in them and never had then fault. Two friends of mine purchased them as well. One replacing ixs flow and another tld kit.
They are a d30 foam around the knee and then a hard plastic shell over that but all concealed by a robust top layer of fabric.
Search fuse protection. The disto is bmx international in aus.
I cant say enough good things about them.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
I have these. Been using them over a couple months now and while they do the job just fine, i feel as if there's much better knee pads out there.

It fits well enough that's it's comfortable and whilst riding you don't notice it. Due to the opening on the back of the knee, sweating isn't an issue and there's no rubbing against the fabric and your skin which is a major plus.

However the overall look and build of it is extremely bulky. The pictures appear to make it look snug and compact but it's anything but irl. On top of that, i had a crash a couple weeks back and landing on my right knee causing some pretty bad bruising even with the pads on. I'm not sure if the protective padding is rubbish or if it saved my knee from breaking in two from a pretty hard landing.

Btw, that's not my leg...

View attachment 311400
You're referring to the VPD Airs yeah? I've just gotten some VPD 2.0 Elbows as well. I will give them a crack over the winter to see how they go and look to something a bit more lightweight if needed for the warmer months. I'm not really riding anything gnarly so preventing abrasions (if needed) would be the key thing. I do like continuously riding i.e. no stop starting etc at top of climbs.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Dainese trail skins if you get warm like me. Those honeycomb holes look like a gimick but I could actually feel air go through them. Really flexy too, but strong enough to take light falls and hits.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Just reviving an old thread, but mainly aimed at the guys that own the Poc VPD stuff. Anyone thrown them in the wash for a normal wash? Does the protection get ruined at all?

I generally clean the outsides with a wet towel to get the dirt off it, but never thrown the whole thing in the wash.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Just reviving an old thread, but mainly aimed at the guys that own the Poc VPD stuff. Anyone thrown them in the wash for a normal wash? Does the protection get ruined at all?

I generally clean the outsides with a wet towel to get the dirt off it, but never thrown the whole thing in the wash.
I've only sponged mine with water, or hand washed in a bucket with warm water and a little soap. I've never put them in the washing machine. maybe check with POC (via Facebook??) or on their website. If you were going to put them into the wash, then I would say cold wash cycle only.

empire

Likes Bikes

I've thrown mine in the washing machine after every ride for the last year with no loose threads or damage at all.

fop1

Likes Bikes

im pretty sure i read on one of the tags they came with to wipe with a sponge and mild soap only. No one I ride with smells my knees anyway, so its not much of a problem.