All day knee pads

teK--

Eats Squid
Just reviving an old thread, but mainly aimed at the guys that own the Poc VPD stuff. Anyone thrown them in the wash for a normal wash? Does the protection get ruined at all?

I generally clean the outsides with a wet towel to get the dirt off it, but never thrown the whole thing in the wash.
Have had 2 sets each one washed in machine every week for over a year no issue. Just put them in a laundry delicate items bag.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Yeah they are starting to smell a bit now. Time to wash them haha.

Anyone tried the VPD Air range? It's getting warmer now so looking to lose the 2.0s for something a bit more lightweight to stop abrasions more than anything. I'm keen to see what the knees and elbows look like fitted on a person and how much coverage it gives. I've read good things on the dainese trail skins.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Trailskins still going well after however many months. Worn almost every ride. The elastic is going a bit wavy on the right leg but they still stay up and disappear when you get going. they've been good to have on during this freaky cold winter...

Anyone tried the VPD Air range? It's getting warmer now so looking to lose the 2.0s for something a bit more lightweight to stop abrasions more than anything. I'm keen to see what the knees and elbows look like fitted on a person and how much coverage it gives. I've read good things on the dainese trail skins.
Handwash cycle in the washing machine. i've been washing them monthly for the last 9ish months and the elastic still looks brand new.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Bump to an old thread.

How are everyone' pads going?

The extremely loose and dusty trails of Stromlo atm have got me thinking about donning the pads again. I'm thinking Dainese Trailskins this time around (I already have Poc VPD 2.0).

1. Did Trailskins get some minor tweaks for 2016?
2. Can anyone compare this with the VPD Airs (the light version of the 2.0)
3. Any newer/lighter ones out there that I'm unaware of?

My key aim is to stop skin coming off from high speed washouts. I've accepted that OTBs will have slight worse repercussions that can't be stopped by light kneepads. Ideally, my perfect knee pads shouldnt limit my pedaling motion when sprinting on descends.

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
My Fox Launch Enduro pads have only had a few rides but i love them, easy to put on and stay in place well, they took a big hit on my OTB recently and they held up very well, was expecting decent damage but they held up very well.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I just tried on some fox launch enduro pads today, but man they felt thin.. Anyone have a direct comparison to Dainese?

Snit

Likes Bikes
Leatt AirFlex Pro

I'm keen on trying the Leatt AirFlex Pro Knee Guards. Has anyone got/had a pair of these and can give a quick review? The size charts given on these pads are wrong I reckon.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
With the Fox Launch Enduros, the ones that just slip on and look really minimalistic, how bulky are they ??
I am looking for something I can wear under skinny jeans or mildly not skinny jeans. I only want to wear them for skate park kind of stuff where I might crash at slow speed and will mostly be hitting my knees on frame/stem. Comparing them to the RF Charge--which looks like it's just a couple of fabric folds thick.

Mainly looking to avoid bruises, I have other pads for gravity riding.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
With the Fox Launch Enduros, the ones that just slip on and look really minimalistic, how bulky are they ??
I am looking for something I can wear under skinny jeans or mildly not skinny jeans. I only want to wear them for skate park kind of stuff where I might crash at slow speed and will mostly be hitting my knees on frame/stem. Comparing them to the RF Charge--which looks like it's just a couple of fabric folds thick.

The enduro uses a 1.5 cm thick neoprene style foam under a tough weaved fabric on the knew. Its the kind of foam you usually find between a hard shell and your skin. It is a pretty thin pad and I think you could wear them comfortably under your denim tights.
I have sold a few and will be getting some myself. They wont save you from a big off in a rock garden but will soften more minor hits.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
The enduro uses a 1.5 cm thick neoprene style foam under a tough weaved fabric on the knew. Its the kind of foam you usually find between a hard shell and your skin. It is a pretty thin pad and I think you could wear them comfortably under your denim tights.
I have sold a few and will be getting some myself. They wont save you from a big off in a rock garden but will soften more minor hits.
Thanks. I never did see anything that said how thick they are.

findbuddha

Likes Bikes

It's worth checking out the RF Indy pads, they're still pretty minimal but have a proper layer of the D30 foam in them. I'm pretty happy with mine but to be fair haven't tried cramming them in to jeans or crashing properly yet.

...G...

Likes Bikes

I've got the POC Air and the VPD 2.0. They are both very comfortable. The POC Air is definitely lighter weight and a slightly looser fit. The Airs are very comfortable to pedal in. They have a quite distinct bend built into the foam which is just right for riding and helps them stay in place. A mate had the Dainese Trail Skins - he found they didn't stay put nearly as well. He ended up buying a set of the POC Air pads.

Not yet had a serious crash while wearing the POC Air (had several in the VPD 2.0 knee pads - they gave excellent protection).